Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2017, 01:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The net effect will be less federal money from the CDBG for MOW.

You seem to see federal spending as an entitlement for the recipients. Like earning a wage yet still feeling you should receive the same amount of government assistance as before or a kid who gets an allowance but still wants mom and dad to pay for her candy because she doesn't want to spend her own money.
You sure are ass*uming some things about me that are unwarranted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 01:25 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You sure are ass*uming some things about me that are unwarranted.
Perhaps. I'm trying to figure why you, or anyone for that matter, feels so strongly that it is the federal governments responsibility to continue paying the states, or collecting and redistributing the states money to fund, via duplicate agencies providing the same service, a local community program.
I cant think of anything except an entitlement mind set. You've given me nothing else.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:59 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:

Yes poor areas I would imagine do need funding more so than wealthier areas. It is still not the federal governments responsibility to continue to poor federal dollars into states to feed their people. Federal dollars that were taken from the states to begin with. Let the states keep more of their money to help their people more efficiently. There are multiple food and nutrition programs both federal and state. There comes a time when people must tighten their belt and make do. No one is going to starve.

Being from a red state I want less taxation and reduced government spending instead of more give a way programs.
You're pretending not to understand that some states need more than they would get to keep, and I don't know why.

Yes, some people are going to starve, or come close to it, if they don't get food assistance. "Just tighten your belt" is a not a solution for elderly, isolated Americans, and frankly, it's repulsively unkind.

I also want less government spending, but feeding my hungry fellow Americans is not my priority area to cut. Enriching military contractors and budsters of the people who control our tax money would be my first choice of places to cut.

At any rate, it's not going to be approved. The reports said that from the beginning.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:03 PM

746 posts, read 1,242,876 times
Maybe if the govt can keep their paws away from my wallet and stop devaluing the dollar I might be able to save enough for retirement and not be a burden on society.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:06 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
Maybe if the govt can keep their paws away from my wallet and stop devaluing the dollar I might be able to save enough for retirement and not be a burden on society.
Well, that's not likely to happen, so you'd better hope your fellow Americans stand up for YOU when you're old and alone.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Perhaps. I'm trying to figure why you, or anyone for that matter, feels so strongly that it is the federal governments responsibility to continue paying the states, or collecting and redistributing the states money to fund, via duplicate agencies providing the same service, a local community program.
I cant think of anything except an entitlement mind set. You've given me nothing else.
What do you mean "duplicate services"? Some states need some money to make up their shortfall. MOW has wait lists in most locales. Not everyone is being served. Just what do you consider the role of the federal government? What do you consider "entitlement mindset"? You've not shown there is any excess money going to any MOW agency, nor any malfeasance. I'm not trying to "give" you anything.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You're pretending not to understand that some states need more than they would get to keep, and I don't know why.

Yes, some people are going to starve, or come close to it, if they don't get food assistance. "Just tighten your belt" is a not a solution for elderly, isolated Americans, and frankly, it's repulsively unkind.

I also want less government spending, but feeding my hungry fellow Americans is not my priority area to cut. Enriching military contractors and budsters of the people who control our tax money would be my first choice of places to cut.

At any rate, it's not going to be approved. The reports said that from the beginning.
I think I have several posts stating the some states use more federal money than others, some agencies use more federal money than others so no Im not pretending to not understand. I dont know why that is relevant other than the money is not distributed evenly.

No one is going to starve if those federal funds are cut. There is other funding and other food sources. People are not existing on one meal a day. You say your clients are but you do nothing to change their situation. As I said before that is disgraceful that you live in a wealthy area and yet volunteers see people on the brink of starvation and do nothing.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
What do you mean "duplicate services"? Some states need some money to make up their shortfall. MOW has wait lists in most locales. Not everyone is being served. Just what do you consider the role of the federal government? What do you consider "entitlement mindset"? You've not shown there is any excess money going to any MOW agency, nor any malfeasance. I'm not trying to "give" you anything.
Duplicate services. When two separate agencies provide the same service with the same funding. I'm not sure how you dont understand that.
No states dont need more federal money to make up their shortfall. Its at the states digression how much to spend on MOW.
The role of the federal government? Look it up.
I've shown there are multiple sources of income and two separate federal agencies funneling money to MOW.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Duplicate services. When two separate agencies provide the same service with the same funding. I'm not sure how you dont understand that.
No states dont need more federal money to make up their shortfall. Its at the states digression how much to spend on MOW.
The role of the federal government? Look it up.
I've shown there are multiple sources of income and two separate federal agencies funneling money to MOW.
Only one agency is providing the MOW service. MOW gets its monies from a variety of sources, including private donations and volunteer labor. State's digression?

"Financially, Congress has the power to tax, borrow, pay debt and provide for the common defense and the general welfare; to regulate commerce, bankruptcies, and coin money. To regulate internal affairs, it has the power to regulate and govern military forces and militias, suppress insurrections and repel invasions. It is to provide for naturalization, standards of weights and measures, post offices and roads, and patents; to directly govern the federal district and cessions of land by the states for forts and arsenals. Internationally, Congress has the power to define and punish piracies and offenses against the Law of Nations, to declare war and make rules of war."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...s_Constitution

Old 03-22-2017, 04:47 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

It looks like you don't understand how Meals on Wheels works, how the individual programs are operated locally, or how the funding differs from the national organization and the local Meals on Wheels programs, some of which are standalone organizations, and others are part of a larger nonprofit organization.
Wait, your saying that there are MOWs that do not receive federal funding from the government?

Great, that means they WILL NOT BE AFFECTED, since you clearly stated some are stand alone....NOT receiving government money....

Holy crap folks, you cannot make this stuff up, so now MOWs who are NOT funded by the government are going to go broke because they never have received GOV funding......yet surviving by pubic donations...

It's amazing what some people write, but have no damn clue what they wrote...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies