Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2017, 02:47 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,286,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You keep saying that. Lay out for us how one delivered meal a day keeps elders in their homes longer.
Is one delivered meal the key to independent living.
You aren't asking me but I'll tell you my experience with trying to keep my dad out of a nursing home...and we did keep him at home for five years, until he died. One important part in our system was using (and paying for) meals on wheels; it was as much for the mid afternoon human contact stopping by as it was for the food. His driver was a peach of a guy who always spent 15 minutes chatting. It didn't happen often but if he saw something we should know about, he'd call my brother or me. (Dad lived in the country, no neighbor to check in, in case you're going to suggest that alternate.) My brother checked on dad every night 6 days a week, on his way home from work. (My S-I-L hated that and put a lot of stress on my brother over it.) My nephew cut his grass, my niece cleaned his house. I lived 75 miles away and would go spend two days a week with him, staying over night and when I was there I put up his medications, took him to appointments and the store and got him out of the house as I ran his errands. (My husband was very supportive of our effort to keep dad at home.) It takes a village to keep an elderly person at home and Meals on Wheels is a tool that helps a lot of families with this goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 02:50 PM

88,730 posts, read 44,535,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Ludicrous. You back taking away food from the homebound elderly and disabled but have no problem increasing the military budget by $54 billion even though we already spend more than the next 9 countries.
I said no such thing. In our area and many others, MoW is 97% funded by donations and local government, and the people who deliver the food are volunteers.

Furthermore, national defense is a Constitutionally enumerated responsibility of the Fed Gov, but social welfare programs are not. Instead, they're the purview of states' and local governments if they so choose to provide them.

Is the Constitution no longer read or studied in our country's public education system? How do so many people not know this?

Old 03-16-2017, 02:54 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,645,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Get over yourself. I am literally at the worst point for income vs taxes vs survival. The amount I pay for meals on wheels and most free services is trivial, and will pay off for me if they are there when I need them.

And the people who get most if the tax cuts need them the least.
Key word.... IF. That's IF, you qualify for free services. A lot of middle class people who fall into poverty in their elder years won't qualify. I've said that several time yet you ignore that point.

These people better save everything they can because they'll have to pay full ticket price and will suffer. I can tell you don't give a damn about that. Just as long as you get your free handouts.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:58 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,645,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
It takes a village to keep an elderly person at home and Meals on Wheels is a tool that helps a lot of families with this goal.
yes it takes a village to keep an elderly person at home but even if you paid taxes and are a middle class person who fell into poverty in your elderly years, the government won't give authorization for the village people to help. You got to be dirt poor and the income limits are so low that you'd have to be in the system and poor all your lives.

I don't know how else to spell it out.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:58 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,578,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
No one is advocating taking food away from homebound elderly and disabled people. Many dont feel this program should be funded by the federal government. The program also receives state and local funding along with donations and volunteer hours.
Do you think that one meal a day is all the food these people get. What about those homebound elderly disabled that arent on the program?

Does you
Speaking only for my " client" list, the answer is yes. It is their only meal of the day and they make it last.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:00 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,788,391 times
Mick Mulvaney said in today's presser that there's no proof these programs work. Oy vey.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:01 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,555,936 times
There's a new word, "trumped", that is entering our lexicon. It is synonymous with the "F" word or others such as "cheated", "swindled" and "deceived" and will partially replace them. It will probably remain in use, long after most people remember where it originated. That will be Trump's legacy.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:02 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,858,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Key word.... IF. That's IF, you qualify for free services. A lot of middle class people who fall into poverty in their elder years won't qualify. I've said that several time yet you ignore that point.

These people better save everything they can because they'll have to pay full ticket price and will suffer. I can tell you don't give a damn about that. Just as long as you get your free handouts.
Thats exactly what the 1/2 of the top 1% want you to do-

pitch the middle class against the bottom, the poor-

Its not going to make the middle class any stronger or any more well off--

the money is being reallocated elsewhere- its not like its going to fund free college education for our teenagers (who can test into college, so are "deserving")....

You think by starving out the poor and not providing basic healthcare (you think the flu, tuberculosis, West nile virus, what have you, cares how much money you make? )....
you make the plight of the middle class any better?

this country runs off cheap labor- and the Trump administration is making sure Labor Laws will be weakened ...(who needs safe working environments, layoff laws, Overtime anyway, right?)...

These cuts hurt EVERYONE.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:03 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,578,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Screw those old people. Let them get a job. Living off of $750.00 Social Security per month is enough.

Let them eat dog food.

I agree too.
Some of my MoW clients probably would if they were not housebound.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:05 PM

88,263 posts, read 84,222,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Here's the actual blueprint as opposed to the media's take on it. It is arranged by Department:

America First
A Budget Blueprint to Make America Great Again

https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whi..._blueprint.pdf

I did a word search on Meals and found no mention.

I did a word search on "block" and found the item in the 3rd instance. The elimination of the Community Development Block Grant is right there on Page 25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies