Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 09:02 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Lot of them did.

Seems good Christians couldn't keep up the pace.
Perhaps they were saving their energy to feign outrage over people saying 'Happy Holidays' rather than 'Merry Christmas'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 09:02 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Meals on wheels should be locally funded.
Well now it will be, hopefully.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:04 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/15/u...cuts.html?_r=0

In addition to the cuts at the E.P.A. and the State Department, Mr. Trump’s team is expected to propose a wide array of cuts to public education, to transportation programs like Amtrak and to the Department of Housing and Urban Development, including the complete elimination of the $3 billion Community Development Block Grant program, which funds popular programs like Meals on Wheels, housing assistance and other community assistance efforts.

I remember my husband's 99 year old grandmother getting meals from them. Guess she should have gone out and gotten a job!
Or your husband could have paid for her meal. Why should my family have to?

Seriously....our church and our town sponsored meals on wheels (& I guess they got some money from the Feds). Both my wife and my teen age daughter volunteered (my wife for over a decade). If the Feds stop giving the program money, they can get it elsewhere...or perhaps MOW will be picked up or moved elsewhere?

I'm all for taking a hatchet to EPA & Amtrak. I'd be fine with eliminating 90% of HUD (& 90% of the Dept. of Education), shut them down and move the remaining semi-essential 10% of the departments into other agencies. (Treasury or Interior?).

Hmm, the article came from the "NY Times". Are they still in business?

3,356 posts, read 1,232,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why isn't that covered by local charities? The community centers and churches of all denominations in my area are constantly having local food drives. There are outreach committees that provide food and personal hygiene items to the elderly/disabled house-bound. None of this needs to be a Fed Gov sponsored service.
How involved are YOU in these local charities.? The one I am involved in through my church relies heavily on federal dollars. Please go volunteer for one rather than making assumptions like that.

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I'm glad to see the elimination of CDBG funding. The federal government should not be funding local programs. I hear local politicians complaining about it all the time because it is not a constant source of funding. A program that is funded one year may not be funded the next, leaving local government scrambling to adjust resources on a yearly basis.
Not only that, Fed funding almost always has strings attached that frequently do more harm than can offset the good. Anyone who's been involved in/with local agencies which provide such services knows that.

Quote:
I do support Meals on Wheels at a local level though, probably at the county level would be the best method.
Exactly.

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
"Let them eat cake"

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Yeah -- I don't have a problem with funding shifting for meals on wheels BUT

you do know when you shift burdens to state or local -- it isn't a reduction really because when those tax entities get a bigger burden they have less for things like infrastructure, etc...and the federal govt. ends up somehow coughing up the shortages.

It's a shift not a reduction.

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Now maybe we can get to real savings and force other countries to fund their own wars and their own defense.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:05 AM

3,356 posts, read 1,232,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Perhaps not, particularly in poorer rural areas.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:06 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
How involved are YOU in these local charities.?
Very. How do you think I know so much about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies