Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2017, 11:20 AM

23,551 posts, read 17,227,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Meals on Wheels feeds 500,000 veterans every year.

Source: Mark Takano

Thank you for your service. But:

No Soup For You !
Stiring the emotional soup.

Propaganda soup served with weak dishwater pretending to be organic vegetable, chicken soup.

All 500K vets will now starve !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trump is killing vets!!!!!!!!!!

Trump betrayed vets!!!!!!!!!!!!

cry wolf much??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 11:21 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes apparently some senior centers are closing and elderly are starving. That 3% providing that one meal a day is the difference in independent living and a nursing home and life and starvation.
If it bothers you so much, create a gofundme, and there ya go. 250K isn't hard to raise on a national level.

And you realize that some of the money they receive...doesn't even go to starving elders...

"The money often is not going to Meals on Wheels or even to the neediest communities. As a Reason Foundation analysis also from 2013 shows, wealthier communities get the larger chunks of the money, particularly counties that—what a coincidence!—are in proximity to Washington, D.C….Check out this audit from Riverside County, California, for their CDBG expenditures for 2016, and there's neither a meal nor a wheel to be found. Of the $761,744 the county received, nearly all of it went to improve a playground and the sidewalks of a single local elementary school. And note that the reason they were audited by Housing and Urban Development was because they hadn't provided proper documentation of their expenses."

https://www.hudoig.gov/sites/default...16-LA-1002.pdf

This took me all of 3 minutes to research...I mean, just stop already.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Your link is to the donation page which doesnt show any numbers on budget.

You are both wrong.

3% of the national office is funded by the block grant. It doesnt break down the individual independently operated ones around the country who likely apply for block grants themselves.

For all you know, your local Meals on Wheels is 100% funded by the block grant.

This is were im assuming you are getting your numbers and why you are wrong.

Meals on Wheels could take funding hit in Trump budget - CNNPolitics.com

both the block grant and DHHS were cut.
I got my numbers...from the Mealsonwheels website.

http://www.mealsonwheelsamerica.org/...l.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Page 18.

2015 STATEMENT OF ACTIVITIES
REVENUES
Corporate and Foundation Grants $ 5,152,093
Contributions $ 1,280,194
Conference $ 466,348
Program Service Fees $ 383,568
Government Grants $ 248,347
Membership Dues $ 157,380
Investment Income $ (127,484)
Other Income $ 4,142
Total Revenues $ 7,564,588
EXPENSES
Program Services $ 5,835,216
Management and General $ 1,257,339
Development $ 427,983
Total Expenses $ 7,520,538
Change in Net Assets $ 44,050
Net Assets, Beginning of Year $12,939,461
Net Assets, End of Year $12,983,511

68% CORPORATE AND
FOUNDATION GRANTS
16% CONTRIBUTIONS
6% CONFERENCE
5% PROGRAM SERVICE FEES
3% GOVERNMENT GRANTS
2% MEMBERSHIP DUES
<1% OTHER INCOME

You say I'm wrong, yet use CNN as a source, who clearly spin things the way they want, when mealsonwheels has a website that anyone can go to and look at their financials. Facts over opinion. Period.

Why is research so difficult for you?

Old 03-17-2017, 11:23 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
If Trump would give up just 1 trip to Florida it would more than pay for 6 years of funding for this program.
But, no, Trump is on vaca yet again.
Hell, if our so-called president gave up just one meal a day we could probably feed 10 seniors a day. The man is an obese pig who probably never missed a meal in his life.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:26 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I got my numbers...from the Mealsonwheels website.

http://www.mealsonwheelsamerica.org/...l.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Why is research so difficult for you?
Yes, I clicked on that link as well, Where do you see funding for the individual community operated Meals on wheels as only 3% from the block grant ?

Your link is about the national office, which I already addressed.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:26 AM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,731 times
The Republican healthcare bill lowers premiums to young people by shifting costs onto the elderly who can least afford it yet require the most care. It guts Medicaid as well and the Republican wet dream is to put an end to Social Security. I don't get why the elderly vote so heavily in favor of the GOP when they do absolutely nothing for them.

The Republican "healthcare" plan for the elderly is to kill them off ASAP.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Yes, I clicked on that link as well, Where do you see funding for the individual community operated Meals on wheels as only 3% from the block grant ?

Your link is about the national office, which I already addressed.
Your computer has a scrolling option right?

Page 18.

And again, your CNN link is just off what some woman says, and ends with this quote.

"The national association will have a better idea how its network of programs will be affected when the full budget proposal is released in coming months."

So it's just more talking out of talking.

It's like saying "I get paid $300 bucks on my paycheck, but my friend gives me an extra $40 bucks a month because he gets money from his mom, so I get $340 bucks to spend. But his mom isn't giving him the $40 bucks anymore because of...reasons.....and speculation. So I may or may not be getting that $40 bucks extra anymore".

The CNN article is just blah blah without facts. That's what I'm getting at.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:27 AM

23,551 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Here you go 2011... do you suppose this is an isolated case? Think not.

"Senior citizens in Wayne County, Mich., would rather eat cat food than the slop that currently passes for meals-on-wheels dinners provided by the county government. And WJBK-Fox 2 news reporter Charlie LeDuff found that the substandard food options were a consequence of Democratic county executive Bob Ficano’s overspending on perks for his own office."

This is an examlpe of what sen coburn has been publishing for years. Showcasing widespread government waste. The cries you hear are swamp creatures being displaced from taxpayer provided comfort zone otherwise known as three lettered fedral agancies.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:29 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
If it bothers you so much, create a gofundme, and there ya go. 250K isn't hard to raise on a national level.

And you realize that some of the money they receive...doesn't even go to starving elders...

"The money often is not going to Meals on Wheels or even to the neediest communities. As a Reason Foundation analysis also from 2013 shows, wealthier communities get the larger chunks of the money, particularly counties that—what a coincidence!—are in proximity to Washington, D.C….Check out this audit from Riverside County, California, for their CDBG expenditures for 2016, and there's neither a meal nor a wheel to be found. Of the $761,744 the county received, nearly all of it went to improve a playground and the sidewalks of a single local elementary school. And note that the reason they were audited by Housing and Urban Development was because they hadn't provided proper documentation of their expenses."

https://www.hudoig.gov/sites/default...16-LA-1002.pdf

This took me all of 3 minutes to research...I mean, just stop already.
Yes. I have reviewed these block grants and it is preposterous to believe the money is not being wasted on things the federal government should not be spending money on. New street lighting because the old lighting wasn't pretty enough, art pieces at the cities entrance, etc. Ridiculous and not for bettering poor communities with things they might really need.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:29 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
The media is making it an issue that is really not an issue. Just to get the liberals riled up.
What I have been wondering for years as the national debt ballooned, politicians on both sides of the aisle held their votes as hostage in order to get their own pork projects thrown into the mix, as federal agencies continued to up their budgets annually, as endless stories continued to come out re: unfettered waste (fraud and abuse) in said federal agencies, as we continued capture more and more citizens in the social safety net, as we continued to throw money out to countries that loathed us, and on and on (and on)...............how did people think this story was going to end? Where did they see this trajectory going?

There's no money tree out there on the grounds of the south lawn of the White House. We have being throwing money away hand over fist, unabated, untethered, unthinkingly. Just throwing ever increasing amounts of money (that we don't have) out there with very little to show for it.

You may not agree with the proposed cuts, but you have to give credit for at least ATTEMPTS to cut. To at least BEGIN to tackle what we've been doing, and to at least begin critically reviewing what we have been doing without a second thought for so long.

This proposed budget isn't going to go through as is. But whatever is modified should be justified by the heads of departments that will be affected. If the administration wavers simply because of foot stomping I will be disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies