Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2017, 09:40 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Loving your neighbor doesn't necessarily mean shifting responsibility to someone else (to the Federal Government). Christian behavior would mean getting your hiney off the couch, walking or driving to elderly or disabled family or neighbors and bringing them food, seeing if they need help with yardwork, or a ride to shopping or an appointment. It means thinking beyond your own self.
Sending a donation to a charity staffed with actual people who care, and that is mainly government funded is great and all, and may make most people feel all full of great feelings and that they are making a difference. Then the truly dedicated volunteers go door to door and actually do the work, but nothing says Christian Charity more than putting together some freezer meals or hot meals, getting in your car or walking next door, and hand delivering it yourself; sharing what you have to give to someone else. Even just sitting and visiting people is important.
^Has nothing to do with the conversation for which I posted that which you quoted, but glad to provide you with a jumpoff point for your unsolicited preaching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 09:42 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I found some articles just searching on google, and they say Government Charities give out less to people than private ones do, because they use more of the funding grants and donations to pay overhead, salaries, etc... Private Charities don't pay for all of this extra stuff, so most of their money ends up going where it is needed most...to those in need.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:43 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
[quote=Mightyqueen801;47546797]^Has nothing to do with the conversation for which I posted that which you quoted, but glad to provide you with a jumpoff point for your unsolicited preaching.[/QUOTE

If you're going to put it out there, expect a response. If it's not from me, it'll be from someone else I'm sure. ]

Old 03-17-2017, 09:56 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
How many Trump supporters do you really know, and of those, do any of them do their own footwork and use their own resources to help people?
How ridiculous is your video of Grey Gardens!

These are the aunt and first cousin of Jacqeline Kennedy.

You really expect Meals on Wheels should take care of them rather than Jackie Kennedy or Carolyn if they are still alive which I doubt?

Get real.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:26 PM

[quote=love roses;47546532]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post

It IS hard, but there is always a window of time somewhere to throw together a weeks worth of food for them that they could pop in the microwave for meals during the week. Even more difficult to navigate is transportation to places. I take my mom to as many appointments as I can, or run errands for her on my lunch break or after work, but I am also glad that she is able to take CARTS (a bus service for handicapped and Senior Citizens) to many of her appointments or she can take a Cab Service like 10/10. Now, if THAT was disposed of, I might lose it :/
Of course it is hard, I think that is what I said.

My point was that either the seniors or their adult children have the option to pay more for services that alleviate that hard stuff. I think what people here have quoted was that meals from Meals on Wheels were max $6.00 for full course hot meals.

That's dirt cheap when you think about it. Most people and/or their adult kids who are paying $6 could probably pay more. I know I would just for the convenience of not having to prepare a meal for my parent if they were happy with the MOW lunch.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:41 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
How ridiculous is your video of Grey Gardens!

These are the aunt and first cousin of Jacqeline Kennedy.

You really expect Meals on Wheels should take care of them rather than Jackie Kennedy or Carolyn if they are still alive which I doubt?

Get real.
Jackie Kennedy died in 1994. Caroline Kennedy was ambassador to Japan, but I feel sure Trump would have fired her, given that she's a Democrat.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:50 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,555 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUMF View Post
Only about 3% of the money that Meals On Wheels gets is federally funded.
They aren't hurting one bit from the local money they receive.
But the snowflakes won't tell you that...
Despite outrage over cuts, federal funds are fraction of Meals on Wheels budget | Fox News
And I'm sure because it's a foxnews link, they'll discount my post as well....

WAAA-WAAAA-waaaa... I hear you all crying....
Grow up and come to realize that PRESIDENT TRUMP ate your Princess's lunch...
3% of the National office is funded by the Block grant, not the 5,000 local programs.

The local programs apply for their own individual grants from the Block Grant and from DHHS, both of which were cut dramatically.

Maybe you honestly thought the National administrative office was the exact same as the 5,000 individual local organizations around the country, that is an honest mistake. They are not.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
My mom lived in PA, I lived in Colorado and my brother lived in Florida. Tell me how we were supposed to handle that. Her MOW was based out of her church, where she and my dad had been big donors and big-time workers in their day. Heck, my brother delivered MOW in Florida. Mom wasn't freeloading by a long shot. Plus she paid for them. You guys seem to think they're totally free.

Sometimes food banks prefer money so they can get foods they need. People tend to donate crap.

Why should that matter? Most of them probably didn't vote at all. What an attitude!
That may be, but as I volunteer with the food bank, I happen to know that wasn't the case in my town. They simply could not take in and process any more food when the community responded to their appeal for more food.

Not to mention, the grocery stores were giving them specifically what they asked for as was much of the community.

Once the demand subsided and/or they were able to obtain sufficient volunteers to process the food they received, they stopped asking for money and continued their appeals for foods. They were usually pretty clear about what foods they wanted.

Some of this has to do with how effective the people are who are managing the food banks and/or other charities delivering foods.

I agree some people give crap, because having done food drives as a large employer, there are always the idiots that give opened food or expired food which has to be tossed rather than given out, but that wasn't the case here.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:24 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
I love how the anti-Christian libs suddenly become "Christians" when subjects like this are discussed.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:40 AM

336 posts, read 378,179 times
Quote:
How many Grassroots organizations are out there that don't rely on HUD Grants or any other Federal Funds?
Not many, unfortunately. It's very common for these local volunteer-type organizations to receive 25-75% of their funding from HUD grants and other Federal grant programs.

That said, I would argue that it's not the Federal Government's responsibility to fund this type of assistance for the elderly and poor. IMO, financial assistance for these programs should be funded from local and state taxes, not Federal taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies