Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2017, 03:50 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I strongly suggest that some of the more-sensitized at this site read Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath, Tortilla Flat, Cannery Row or Sweet Thursday: all of them contain accounts of how a system functioned, and made ends meet, with a much smaller amount of resources at the time of the nation's deepest economic crisis. Times were hard and people suffered, but except for the completely reclusive and uncooperative, nobody died.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I strongly suggest you read The Grapes of Wrath again.
I encourage that as well.

Steinbeck wrote about the impact of hard times on those who live near the edge.

People did indeed die during those times.

The ending of The Grapes of Wrath had a man who was starving to death for, crying out loud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 03:55 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

The ending of The Grapes of Wrath had a man who was starving to death for, crying out loud.
I suggest you get the dead weights off the dole and maybe people would be less angry.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:13 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I suggest you get the dead weights off the dole and maybe people would be less angry.
Knock it off, we're talking about senior citizens for christs sake. What the hell is wrong with you?

Old 03-19-2017, 05:30 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
In other words, a massively expensive program with millions of people locked up and which will act as a weapon against working class Americans who have to compete against this free prison labor system (it will be like a mini China inside America). And the health care costs for this program will of course be through the roof as addicts simply cant work and will get terribly sick. It also opens up a new war against rural America where the drug addiction is rampant after decades of anti-worker trade deals and war against the 99%. They turn to drugs and alcohol. Middle aged white men are seeing a decline in their life expectancy as a result of this.
You are apparently even more naïve, in matters of both economics and statistics, than you present yourself.

We already have an "inmate nation" and vagrants and other societal dead weight constantly drift into and out of it, A system of vagrancy reformatories, well-publicized and with serious "teeth". just might provide some incentive for the more astute among the societal debris to stay out of it.

And anyone who thinks the direct cost of incarcerating vagrants at forced labor wouldn't negate any possible revenue is fooling him/herself; but it still might be worth it if it results in cleaner, safer streets.

The riffraff can hit rock bottom and bounce back to confront a basic sense of duty, or they can continue to fall through the cracks until they splatter; the choice should be up to them -- not to the responsible citizens they victimize.

FYI, I spend about half my time in a predominately-white, rural area where the drugs of choice are methedrine and steroid, sometimes culminating in heroin. The options are either a hard choice while they're still young and might have a shot at redemption, or a sure dead end.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:35 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Portland has high rents, low wages, neighborhood food banks with food, and childless burger flippers who actually get food.
Low wages in Portland, you must mean Portland Maine, huh? because in about 4 months the minimum wage in Multnomah County Oregon will be $11.25 an hour, but I am not sure what any of this has to do with my post, it would be helpful if you could put it into some kind of context.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Quote:
You are apparently even more naïve, in matters of both economics and statistics, than you present yourself.

We already have an "inmate nation" and vagrants and other societal dead weight constantly drift into and out of it, A system of vagrancy reformatories, well-publicized and with serious "teeth". just might provide some incentive for the more astute among the societal debris to stay out of it.

And anyone who thinks the direct cost of incarcerating vagrants at forced labor wouldn't negate any possible revenue is fooling him/herself; but it still might be worth it if it results in cleaner, safer streets.

The riffraff can hit rock bottom and bounce back to confront a basic sense of duty, or they can continue to fall through the cracks until they splatter; the choice should be up to them -- not to the responsible citizens they victimize.

FYI, I spend about half my time in a predominately-white, rural area where the drugs of choice are methedrine and steroid, sometimes culminating in heroin. The options are either a hard choice while they're still young and might have a shot at redemption, or a sure dead end.
Where do you two get the idea, despite several posts to the contrary, that MOW is an "entitlement".

Old 03-19-2017, 05:38 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Sure..just like they do in North Korea, that's a great idea. Maybe we should adopt their policy of "three generations of punishment" too

Old 03-19-2017, 05:42 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Where do you two get the idea, despite several posts to the contrary, that MOW is an "entitlement".
And where do some of the people here get the idea that vagrancy and parasitism are respectable, or even sustainable options?

I have already posted that I have no option to a basic, but locally (and closely) overseen "safety net" -- MOW as part of it; my objection is directed toward those who seek to make a "living" out of abusing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Sure..just like they do in North Korea, that's a great idea.
Except that North Korea doesn't have an open, capitalist economy where a person has the option of trying to better his life without Big Brother's "help".

(And if the word "capitalist" offends you, I suggest you apply to Pyongyang for a visa).

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-19-2017 at 05:54 PM..

Old 03-19-2017, 06:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
And where do some of the people here get the idea that vagrancy and parasitism are respectable, or even sustainable options?

I have already posted that I have no option to a basic, but locally (and closely) overseen "safety net" -- MOW as part of it; my objection is directed toward those who seek to make a "living" out of abusing it.

Except that North Korea doesn't have an open, capitalist economy where a person has the option of trying to better his life without Big Brother's "help".

(And if the word "capitalist" offends you, I suggest you apply to Pyongyang for a visa).
So people who get MOW are vagrants and parasites who abuse it? What's your evidence for said vagrancy, parasitism and abuse? I think I'm done here.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:03 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
This is fake news but what else is new? Trump never cut these meals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies