Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 12:53 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times

Advertisements

I wojlld second the educational value of PBS. My kins also grew up on it and their children.

I would again point out there is actually no real threat for NPR and PBS. It is the local affiliates...particularly those with sparse or poor clientele who are at risk. The Fed contribution is a small part of the PBS and NPR funding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 05:24 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I have a different perspective. I grew up in a lower middle class immigrant community in Queens, NY and consumed a lot of PBS programming. From Reading Rainbow, Mr. Rogers Neighborhood and Sesame Street as a young child, to Wild America, Nova and This Old House as I grew older... having shows like those available to me helped nurture the curiosity that led to multiple STEM degrees and a career that allows me to be a productive tax-paying citizen. It also provided more exposure to American culture, without the GI Joe and Stretch Armstrong toy commercials you would get on other stations.

When "educational" cable channels like Discovery and TLC are running shows like "Street Outlaws" and "My 600-lb Life", I think there's still an argument to be made for PBS and NPR, even for those lower on the socioeconomic spectrum.
"I grew up"

How many yeas ago was that?

We are NOT talking about the past. we ARE talking about TODAY.

With ALL the MONEY Sesame Street has made over all these years they could probably fund public broadcasting for the next 10 years.

Why should we give money to a place that makes MILLIONS?

Old 03-19-2017, 04:01 PM

417 posts, read 345,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I've been a sustaining member for years. Anyone who claims NPR news is left is literally talking out of their ass.
I agree. I lean to the right on most issues, sometimes some of the guest speakers lean to the left, but I use it as an opportunity to hear a second side of an issue. All of the time the hosts of the shows remain non partisan and I really enjoy that.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:14 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I do agree their "science Friday" has good information sometimes.
Excellent.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Excellent article.

Thanks for the heads up!

Old 03-19-2017, 04:47 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I grew up"

How many yeas ago was that?

We are NOT talking about the past. we ARE talking about TODAY.

With ALL the MONEY Sesame Street has made over all these years they could probably fund public broadcasting for the next 10 years.

Why should we give money to a place that makes MILLIONS?
They don't own Sesame Street. HBO does.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:57 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,733,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Anytime there's a political issue, NPR ALWAYS has a "Unbiased debate" about whatever Foxnews is saying.
Here's one example of NPR repeating propaganda by "asking a question of why people keep on talking about it"

Why Do Doubts About Obama's Birthplace Persist? - July 2009
I deeply appreciate that you gave an example to support your view. I wish C-D had a policy of deleting any post that made a claim without offing some argument or evidence in support of the claim. That will never happen, of course, but it's a nice fantasy of mine because it would make this site vastly more useful.

Unfortunately, I don't see how your link to the Birthier debate supports your opinion. You put scare quotes around "unbiased debate" to presumably indicate that it is not really an unbiased report. In what way is it biased? This is not a rhetorical question, and I'm not just trying to be a smart-a**. I would genuinely like to understand your point of view. I have not read every page of the thread (I get exasperated by so many opinions with no arguments or evidence to support them), so if you have already addressed this, I would be happy with just a reference to the page number or post # in the thread. If it has not been addressed, I would love to hear someone explain it to me.

Or, alternatively, I would love to hear specific examples of NPR being biased. Obviously specific people being interviewed will be biased - that's just the nature of reality - but I'm looking for examples of how NPR's reporting, is biased. (I don't really doubt that they are biased to some extent - I just want some examples of this.)

As I see it, any vague accusation or controversial general claim that is made without some example or evidence to support the claim is annoying and almost completely useless.

Last edited by Gaylenwoof; 03-19-2017 at 06:09 PM..

Old 03-19-2017, 07:58 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Imagine if Rush Limbaugh got federal money to run his show....sigh. (They're NOWHERE near as bad as him but most rational people understand the point.)
Rush Limbaugh is a blowhard pundit. NPR is light years away from that sort of nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I don't think they should be eliminated. But I do think they should be asked to cover less partisan subjects, or at least cover them in a less-biased way.
As has been pointed out already, NPR is pretty middle of the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
So why can't NPR as well as PBS throw in enough advertising to pay for themselves? Or let Clear Channel just buy the whole NPR network outright. I agree the era of government sponsored radio or television has long past.
Apparently you're unaware that Clear Channel no longer exists. And the era of government sponsored radio is still very much necessary, especially NPR in rural areas where there is little or no radio coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I've been a sustaining member for years. Anyone who claims NPR news is left is literally talking out of their ass.
Just seconding your post. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I don't listen to NPR often. I would say there are more stories of interest to the left than the right. But looking at their news homepage the stories even about Trump seem straightforward.
So, maybe you should listen more often and educate yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I have a different perspective. I grew up in a lower middle class immigrant community in Queens, NY and consumed a lot of PBS programming. From Reading Rainbow, Mr. Rogers Neighborhood and Sesame Street as a young child, to Wild America, Nova and This Old House as I grew older... having shows like those available to me helped nurture the curiosity that led to multiple STEM degrees and a career that allows me to be a productive tax-paying citizen. It also provided more exposure to American culture, without the GI Joe and Stretch Armstrong toy commercials you would get on other stations.
Excellent! I was too old for PBS' kids programming when it came about, but was able to see the profound effect it had on kids and how they learn, no matter their socio-economic background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
PBS does not own, nor has it ever owned, Sesame Street. Perhaps you're unaware of how public broadcasting works, or how PBS affiliates obtain programming.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:00 PM

I like NPR.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:03 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Make them compete for listeners like everyone else. Let's see how far their left wings views sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies