Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 05:24 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,201,702 times

Advertisements

Trump is the last stand of the nationalists. Nationalism is always conservative.

Either the globalists are turned back now, or there is no stopping them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 08:10 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,107,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
For the record GOP never wholly embraced the "moral majority", they were tolerated because of the votes which helped in local and national elections. There have been several interviews and or on record statements from both GOP and persons high in the Moral Majority cause that state and or support this statement.

A good part of the GOP caucus would love to get back to the "Goldwater republican" and or at least not be detracted by trying to legislate morality.

However first MJ, then the Tea Party and now "angry working class whites", keep hijacking the GOP causing it to veer to the extreme right even though overall the nation is moving in the other direction.

Thanks to gerrymandering of House districts, voter apathy/non-participation, and several other things this push to the Right is like the proverbial vampire in films; each time you think it is destroyed a hand slowly begins rising indicating it is alive once again.

How all this will play out long term is anyone's guess. However Democrats, liberals, the left and progressives can take comfort in that demographically numbers are on their side. We know already absent a huge shift of immigration of White European/non-Hispanics the white population of the United States will decline to minority status at some point in future. This point was behind the most recent "angry old white male" comments from Rep. Steve King: Steve King: Blacks and Hispanics 'will be fighting each other' before overtaking whites in population - CNNPolitics.com

The GOP base is dying out; that is old and middle aged whites the youngest being from the tail end of baby boom generation (now in their early to middle fifties), and their parents, and grandparents will largely all be gone from this earth in thirty to forty years.

Generations after them of which the Millennials are not only largest but greater in numbers than the Baby Boomers, will soon start to take over everything including politics.

While much can and often does change as persons grow older; as of now we know much about the Millennial generation to say they aren't at all like their "elders". Key takeaways from the Pew Research survey on Millennials | Pew Research Center

In short if the "moral majority" or whatever group comes after them is going to remain relevant they are going to have find a way to appeal to the new order of things.
I think the millenials are a good group. I raised one, so perhaps I'm biased, but I see a generation full of promise. They are, in general, the least racist and sexist generation. They actually find that old stuff funny. They value experience over possessions, and demand a life / work balance.
The sooner they are in charge, the better.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:34 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,801,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I want smart and sensible border security, what I DO NOT want is Gestapo style roundups and mass deportation of Muslims and Hispanics to satisfy some racist garbage dream of a Whites only America.

As for a secular America ... bring it on. I am a nominal Catholic but in reality I could give two hoots about the Pope, the Bible, etc. I never go to church except for weddings and funerals. The sooner we become officially secular, the better. I believe our presidents should take their oaths of office on the US Constitution instead of the Bible.
Agree. I was raised Catholic but the cover ups of molestation in the church did it for me. Years after I graduated high school our chaplain, whom we all loved, was charged with sexual assault of young boys. Turns out the diocese knew about his crimes and put him in an all girls school where he wouldn't be tempted. Disgusting.

I would love to see the oath taken on the constitution. Religion should have no place in politics.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
For the record GOP never wholly embraced the "moral majority", they were tolerated because of the votes which helped in local and national elections. There have been several interviews and or on record statements from both GOP and persons high in the Moral Majority cause that state and or support this statement.
Everyone knows this. Just as the Democrats exploit the far-left for votes, but use corruption to deny Bernie Sanders and ensure Hillary Clinton gets the nomination.

Quote:
However first MJ, then the Tea Party and now "angry working class whites", keep hijacking the GOP causing it to veer to the extreme right even though overall the nation is moving in the other direction.
1) The Tea Party was supported/exploited by right-wing corporatists to prevent the country from swinging too far to the left under Obama(IE to maintain the status quo). Likewise, the BLM movement was exploited by left-wing corporatists for votes. And left-wing corporatists continue to support far-left radicals to prevent the country from moving too far to the right under Trump(IE to maintain the status quo).

2) I'm not sure what you mean by "moving the other direction". You've seen a nationalist/anti-immigrant wave moving across the entire world.

In Europe, nationalism rising | Harvard Gazette

http://www.economist.com/news/intern...e-nationalists

Quote:
How all this will play out long term is anyone's guess. However Democrats, liberals, the left and progressives can take comfort in that demographically numbers are on their side. We know already absent a huge shift of immigration of White European/non-Hispanics the white population of the United States will decline to minority status at some point in future.
You do realize that Hispanics and other immigrants are not liberals, right? They are socially VERY conservative, very religious. Why would you possibly think a Syrian refugee is your ally?

Quote:
The GOP base is dying out; that is old and middle aged whites the youngest being from the tail end of baby boom generation (now in their early to middle fifties), and their parents, and grandparents will largely all be gone from this earth in thirty to forty years.
Do you even know who the GOP base is? Corporations/bankers aren't going anywhere.

Quote:
Generations after them of which the Millennials are not only largest but greater in numbers than the Baby Boomers, will soon start to take over everything including politics.
You are assuming that the beliefs of Millennials are "fixed". The truth is, as people get older their politics change. The baby boomers were the hippies, they were in the Civil Rights movement. You had people literally blowing up the government over the Vietnam War, and tons of communists.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/08/u...servative.html

Inside the Beltway: Baby boomers turn conservative - a huge voting bloc - Washington Times

The Millennials will slowly become more conservative as they get older, just like everyone else.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I think the millenials are a good group. I raised one, so perhaps I'm biased, but I see a generation full of promise. They are, in general, the least racist and sexist generation. They actually find that old stuff funny. They value experience over possessions, and demand a life / work balance.
The sooner they are in charge, the better.
I think the Millennials are a pretty terrible group. Also, I think the idea that millennials aren't racist is an extreme exaggeration.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.470c860791a6

Millennials Are Less Racially Tolerant Than You Think

I have found no evidence that millennials aren't sexist or racist. Though it seems to manifest itself in different ways. Basically, most of it is hidden, but the anonymity of the internet seems to be a breeding-ground for it.

I would agree that there are more interracial couples, but they are still a pretty small percentage of the overall population. And even that is leading to backlash, mainly because of the high failure rates, leading to a huge rise in single-mothers.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:33 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,244,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It's definitely not the last stand for conservatism in general. I am talking more about Jerry Falwell-style conservatism. It's the type of conservatism that says they support "individual liberty" but wants to lock people up for smoking a joint. It's the type of conservatism that denies and demonizes scientists and intellectuals. It's the type of conservative that believes we are "One Nation Under God" and believes that should be enforced by the government. It's the type of conservative that looks just like Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

On a lot of cultural issues like gay marriage, marijuana, religion in schools, etc its not so much left vs right but young vs old. 70% of young people want marijuana legalization. Most young people could care less about gay marriage and few young people, even evangelicals, think it's the government's job to enforce religious piety. Do you think we are currently witnessing the Moral Majority's last stand?

I sure hope so.

No. I think this is the first stand of the anti-establishment-been-kicked-in-the-privates-and-lied-to-too-many-times-tax-paying-middle-class-person.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Religion should have no place in politics.
1) It is impossible to separate religion from politics, so long as religion continues to exist(which is why the communists wanted to destroy religion entirely).

2) Secularists don't understand just how dangerous a secular government is. In a secular government, there is no longer such a thing as good or evil, right or wrong. There are no limits. Nothing to constrain it. No morality. Nothing.

It is literally terrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgcd6jvsCFs

Old 03-19-2017, 09:41 AM

1,349 posts, read 663,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

2) Secularists don't understand just how dangerous a secular government is. In a secular government, there is no longer such a thing as good or evil, right or wrong. There are no limits. Nothing to constrain it. No morality. Nothing.

It is literally terrifying.
I find it much more terryfying that anyone would think one needs a book or a sect (any religion) to prevent them from wrong doing

Last edited by personne; 03-19-2017 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: I had to correct my wrong and evil grammar with the help of a blue book !

Old 03-19-2017, 09:47 AM

6,258 posts, read 5,065,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
Degrading content like this doesn't help your argument. It pushes more and more people away from you. It's amazing the left doesn't get this.

Posts like this are the reason it has just begun.
This. The OP is just a different angle on the Trump-hate Trump-haters diatribe.

That, and one more variation on finding ways to make themselves feel better about the losses they have incurred over the past few years. Those angry, old, white, male, two-faced Christians will die off eventually, and THEN we'll get our country back.

Tedious. Transparent. Feckless. Useless.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:48 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It's definitely not the last stand for conservatism in general. I am talking more about Jerry Falwell-style conservatism. It's the type of conservatism that says they support "individual liberty" but wants to lock people up for smoking a joint. It's the type of conservatism that denies and demonizes scientists and intellectuals. It's the type of conservative that believes we are "One Nation Under God" and believes that should be enforced by the government. It's the type of conservative that looks just like Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

On a lot of cultural issues like gay marriage, marijuana, religion in schools, etc its not so much left vs right but young vs old. 70% of young people want marijuana legalization. Most young people could care less about gay marriage and few young people, even evangelicals, think it's the government's job to enforce religious piety. Do you think we are currently witnessing the Moral Majority's last stand?

I sure hope so.
I don't think Trump is their last stand. Trump isn't actually like them. For the most part, Trump ran on a nationalist and populist message, and the moral conservatism that most Republicans at least have to pay tribute to really only surfaced when he was speaking to those people directly. I'd say in many ways, his core message actually contradicts the moral conservative message (worth noting, this is in reference to only Trump, not his cabinet... but that's a different beast entirely and if I'm being honest, I do not get the sense that Trump is actually in charge of his cabinet).

The moral conservatives are clinging to Trump as if he's one of their own, even though he's not. They're doing this because they're last stand already happened and no one even noticed. They're basically irrelevant as popular support for them just isn't as high as it once was and is declining. They're grasping at relevance, and they're using Trump, but if Trump had everything his way, they probably would not benefit much from him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies