Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 01:09 PM

1,640 posts, read 791,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
How so?

Isolationism keeps us out, militarily and politically, of the business of other countries.

Isolationism shifts consumer goods to domestic production.

Isolationism greatly reduces the hundreds of billions of dollars of domestic wealth annually shipped out of our country via trade deficits.

I'm guessing you are a believer in fiat currency and that trade deficits don't matter?
This doesn't really make any sense. Do you think Americans are going to manufacture iPads and computers and you're gonna be able to buy them for the same price? Do you think that the price of oil is not going to be globally dictated? Do you think American companies, and companies abroad, are not going to be international companies? Do you think Exxon mobile is going to be an American company and deal with America only domestically? What you are saying does not make sense in 2017.

Further, as mentioned in past threads, all 2016 American Nobel prize Laurettes were foreign born. Do you understand what that means about the fabric of our culture? If the United States is not innovating we are going to be nothing. And we cannot innovate in isolation. We have an anti-science and an anti-intellectual president and administration. You think this is going to lead America into success? There are so many holes in this kind of thinking.

Whether trade deficits are good or bad depends on what you're talking about. We can bring manufacturing back to the US and either pay more for products, or pay people unlivable wages, or automate the processes. How that pans out in the way of trade deficits is going to depend on a lot of things I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 03:57 PM

8,050 posts, read 3,619,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
are you that naive to think we could never get attacked again?
911? Pearl Harbor?
Well, an aircraft carrier is really not the best protection against an event like 911.

Now, onto your war example. Which country(s) is capable of attacking (conventionally) the US in present times?

P.S. Please don't give WW3 type of scenario, since in that one everybody dies regardless of DOD budget.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:20 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,540,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
This doesn't really make any sense. Do you think Americans are going to manufacture iPads and computers and you're gonna be able to buy them for the same price? Do you think that the price of oil is not going to be globally dictated? Do you think American companies, and companies abroad, are not going to be international companies? Do you think Exxon mobile is going to be an American company and deal with America only domestically? What you are saying does not make sense in 2017.

Further, as mentioned in past threads, all 2016 American Nobel prize Laurettes were foreign born. Do you understand what that means about the fabric of our culture? If the United States is not innovating we are going to be nothing. And we cannot innovate in isolation. We have an anti-science and an anti-intellectual president and administration. You think this is going to lead America into success? There are so many holes in this kind of thinking.

Whether trade deficits are good or bad depends on what you're talking about. We can bring manufacturing back to the US and either pay more for products, or pay people unlivable wages, or automate the processes. How that pans out in the way of trade deficits is going to depend on a lot of things I suppose.
Of course the price of products will go up. And? How many televisions do you need?

The price will go up because US labor is more expensive. You don't want people here having good jobs?

Old 03-17-2017, 04:36 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,888,584 times
Quote:

The problem is that most of America is not willing to pay the price for American-made goods. I personally am, and I make it a point to buy American-made products when possible (i.e. there is a good American-made option).

But, I am unfortunately the exception, not the rule. This isn't even a political issue - most people are just accustomed to Walmart/Target/Amazon prices for products. They're not going to just accept markups for American-made goods "just because" - most people, sadly, do NOT care who is employed (or not employed) by the products they buy. They know product X "should" cost a certain amount of money, and that is what they will accept.

This is the reality that we have created with the race to the bottom. I can't see it changing - at least not for a very long time. Pandora's box was opened decades ago on this matter.

I genuinely wish every American company that manufactures/assembles their goods in the US luck - but it IS a very big uphill battle that they are fighting against here.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:56 PM

5,722 posts, read 2,181,227 times
People freak when the government programs get cut, get a clue it's why he was voted in

Old 03-17-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Of course the price of products will go up. And? How many televisions do you need?
This is pretty short-sighted. The impact will domino from mfg, to retail, to exports (we export the parts that comprise these technologies), to other technologies. It's hard to know how it will play out. ipads, computers, phones, TVs, radios, music players, who knows.

Quote:
The price will go up because US labor is more expensive. You don't want people here having good jobs?
Um, people are not going to pay for, or be able to afford, 2-3k toshibas. What are you even talking about at this point?

Old 03-17-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
The problem is that most of America is not willing to pay the price for American-made goods. I personally am, and I make it a point to buy American-made products when possible (i.e. there is a good American-made option).

But, I am unfortunately the exception, not the rule. This isn't even a political issue - most people are just accustomed to Walmart/Target/Amazon prices for products. They're not going to just accept markups for American-made goods "just because" - most people, sadly, do NOT care who is employed (or not employed) by the products they buy. They know product X "should" cost a certain amount of money, and that is what they will accept.

This is the reality that we have created with the race to the bottom. I can't see it changing - at least not for a very long time. Pandora's box was opened decades ago on this matter.

I genuinely wish every American company that manufactures/assembles their goods in the US luck - but it IS a very big uphill battle that they are fighting against here.
I don't know if that would be good for American business when considering trade deficits. A small company setting up an office is going to get hit harder with American made products. Just one example before I have to run.

Old 03-17-2017, 05:58 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,540,819 times
Quote:
(we export the parts that comprise these technologies)
Really? Please elaborate as to which internal components of a television are primarily manufactured in the US.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Really? Please elaborate as to which internal components of a television are primarily manufactured in the US.
Here's just one example. Although, conversations like these are all over the net.

"Apple’s iPhone is an interesting example. In 2009, iPhones contributed about $2 billion, equivalent to 0.8% of the Sino-U.S. bilateral trade deficit. One iPhone 3GS was sold for about $600. These phones were exclusively manufactured by Foxconn, a factory in a Southern Chinese city called Shenzhen. To produce them, Foxconn had to import $10.75 worth of parts from American companies. The rest of its $172.46 components came from Korea, Japan, Germany, and elsewhere. Out of a $600 iPhone, how much does China get? A puny $6.50, or 1% of the value. Apple makes vastly more. "

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesl.../#41f198df3d92

ETA: I ran into them when trying to learn about trade deficits.

Last edited by Cassy Fae; 03-17-2017 at 07:20 PM..

Old 03-17-2017, 09:15 PM

31,949 posts, read 14,955,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
People don't realize that people at these agencies are getting paid 200K salaries to sit around and do nothing and go out and drink beers in DC.

I'm not really bothered by this. People act like it's directly cutting up into the kids education and the lights are going to be out in schools because of this.

These agencies have been bloated for years, especially DOE and the EPA. I'd be okay if DOE went away, honestly. It doesn't actually educate anyone, it's just about federal funding that the states use for other things anyway. Why do you think American public school education is so poor?
Where is your evidence that people in these agencies make 200k. I can assure you they don't because government jobs just don't pay that much.....wishful thinking for those in these jobs though.
Do you want to know what my take is on public schools. Many in my family are teachers. The key to successful education is parent involvement. Teachers are not babysitters. They are not there to discipline your kids because you fail to do that at home. Teachers have 30 plus kids in their classroom and they need help. Para educators have been cut back. You have kids who are behind and kids who are advanced. I always volunteered to help with one on one reading and math. But if there is no one who helps out in the classroom to assist the teacher then of course we are failing our kids. But it's not the teachers fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies