Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 02:03 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
It's been a leftist organization for decades. If you want to give money to artists and art endowments, feel free in fact I encourage you to support the arts. My life is not enriched by seeing Jesus submerged in urine, if you like that, contribute however you feel like.
What a mean spirited thing to say to me. Jesus submerged in urine.

You sound mixed up and very angry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 02:07 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
What a mean spirited thing to say to me. Jesus submerged in urine.

You sound mixed up and very angry.
what's 'mean spirited' about mentioning **** Christ?
it's a real thing.

Quote:
Immersion (**** Christ) is a 1987 photograph by the American artist and photographer Andres Serrano. It depicts a small plastic crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. The piece was a winner of the Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art's "Awards in the Visual Arts" competition,[1] which was sponsored in part by the National Endowment for the Arts, a United States Government agency that offers support and funding for artistic projects.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:14 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Hitler also thought most art was degenerate.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:21 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
what's 'mean spirited' about mentioning **** Christ?
it's a real thing.
I'm not even going to ask how you come up with these bizarre things. You seem to think I would approve of something like that?

I wouldn't give it the time of day. Overwhelmingly, I enjoy the arts, especially museums of our heritage and interesting pbs tv shows. Anyone can find one example and use it to make an entire concept sound bad.

What about taking kids to the Smithsonian. Or the National Gallery of art? Most things about the arts are good.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:38 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Immersion (**** Christ) is a 1987 photograph by the American artist and photographer Andres Serrano. It depicts a small plastic crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. The piece was a winner of the Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art's "Awards in the Visual Arts" competition,[1] which was sponsored in part by the National Endowment for the Arts, a United States Government agency that offers support and funding for artistic projects.
So here it is: The artist who photographed the object in question did not receive a grant from the NEA, did he receive the award solely based on that photograph alone; it was the art center competition he participated in - which included a portfolio of photographs that received a grant from the NEA.

Unfortunately, links to articles about the art center and competition don't come through because of the language filter.

It's sad how ignorant about and belittling of art our society has become.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:14 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Sounds like what most of the Mammon worshipping right wing has been doing for centuries.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
So here it is: The artist who photographed the object in question did not receive a grant from the NEA, did he receive the award solely based on that photograph alone; it was the art center competition he participated in - which included a portfolio of photographs that received a grant from the NEA.

Unfortunately, links to articles about the art center and competition don't come through because of the language filter.

It's sad how ignorant about and belittling of art our society has become.
wrong.

and try my Wikipedia link above - it works.

Quote:
In 1987, Serrano's **** Christ was exhibited at the Stux Gallery in New York and was favorably received.[10] The piece later caused a scandal when it was exhibited in 1989, with detractors, including United States Senators Al D'Amato and Jesse Helms, outraged that Serrano received $15,000 for the work, and $5,000 in 1986[11] from the taxpayer-funded National Endowment for the Arts.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I'm not even going to ask how you come up with these bizarre things.
no need to ask, i'll tell you anyway. this was a very big news story when it happened. most people I knew were well aware of it. no need to 'come up' with anything beside my own memory.

Quote:
You seem to think I would approve of something like that?
I have no idea if you would or not, but the NEA certainly did.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:58 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I work in the arts, make over $100k a year, and paid over $15,000 in taxes this year. Got any points for me?
Don't apply for grants.

My sister has a masters from The Chicago Art Institute. She has been unable to make much money as an artist, but does not go running to the government for grants.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:36 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,252,971 times
no the point is the double standard. The "**** Christ" got no outrage from the left as offensive.
Again if someone did that to the Koran, the left would be up in arms, holding hearings, and marches. Probably riots too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Interesting - you completely ignore the facts that Serrano was already considered an artist. And he was Christian. So that invalidates your analogy, unless you're also a recognized artist and a Muslim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies