Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 10:35 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Have you ever had chronic pain? Because I have. It is debilitating. At least mine wasn't bad enough to contemplate suicide, but there is an abosolute dearth of medication that is good w/o addictive side effects for treating many types of chronic pain. Your quality of life can go from 10/10 to 0, or probably even -10/10 if you suffer from chronic and horribly debilitating pain. People with difficult to treat pain will often times be given opiates, because that's the only thing that'll prevent them from killing themselves and that's the only thing that we know of that currently will work.
I understand your pain, but opiods should be the last resort. Doctors prescribe opiods for everything. I had a c section and was prescribed oxy. I took it for 1 day and gave it up. I was too high to take care of my baby, so I just took advil. And it worked just fine.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:41 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,509,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I understand your pain, but opiods should be the last resort. Doctors prescribe opiods for everything. I had a c section and was prescribed oxy. I took it for 1 day and gave it up. I was too high to take care of my baby, so I just took advil. And it worked just fine.
Everyones pain threshold is different, and addiction thresholds are different.
Have ever seen someone try to quite smoking? My parents quite after 30 years, dad was using Pall Mall straights, cold turkey. No issues.
I was under morphine for 3 days straight, doctor Rx opiodes when I left. No need, just took Tylenol. I worked through it. When I was in hospital, they though initially I was haveing a pendicitis.
I have a friend who was given Morphine due to a electrical burn on his arm. This was in the 70s', and he still craves it, but was fortunate his brother got him off of it after coming home and seeing him using it for pain.
Too many variables in pain meds.
Education is key.
Some cant shake it.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:47 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
The professionals, ie Doctors, are the major cause of these addictions.. Until they realize they are contributing to this, nothing will change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Have you ever had chronic pain? Because I have. It is debilitating. At least mine wasn't bad enough to contemplate suicide, but there is an abosolute dearth of medication that is good w/o addictive side effects for treating many types of chronic pain. Your quality of life can go from 10/10 to 0, or probably even -10/10 if you suffer from chronic and horribly debilitating pain. People with difficult to treat pain will often times be given opiates, because that's the only thing that'll prevent them from killing themselves and that's the only thing that we know of that currently will work.

A few years back doctors were told they were under-treating pain. Pain level was to be the "fifth vital sign", after temperature, pulse, respiration, and blood pressure. Withholding pain medication due to fear of addiction was no longer acceptable.

So doctors wrote the scripts for the pain medications, some patients abused them (not you fibonacci ), and then when the docs refused to prescribe more they turned to heroin.

The physician cannot win. Either he is depriving patients of relief of their pain or he is contributing to addiction.

What do you propose for a solution, Steve? How does fibonacci get pain relief? I suspect he could also tell us what he has to do to get pain medication refills.

Quote:
Regulation, lol. The Doctors could administer daily, like a nurse does when in the hospital.

My very close relative was given a liquid version of Oxy, in several bottles, and told to take as needed for pain. 16 years old. Mom/Dad had no idea what that crap was, as it was in standard brown/red Rx bottle.
Yes, regulate. No, wont happen, and isnt possible to control.
What was it prescribed for and for how long? Why did the parents not ask what it was?

Old 03-17-2017, 10:52 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
ne try to quitHave ever seen someoe smoking? My parents quite after 30 years, dad was using Pall Mall straights, cold turkey. No issues.
I was under morphine for 3 days straight, doctor Rx opiodes when I left. No need, just took Tylenol. I worked through it. When I was in hospital, they though initially I was haveing a pendicitis.
I have a friend who was given Morphine due to a electrical burn on his arm. This was in the 70s', and he still craves it, but was fortunate his brother got him off of it after coming home and seeing him using it for pain.
Education is key.
Some cant shake it.
I smoked since high school and tried to quit a few times. I finally quit 12 years ago. But nicotine is out of your system within 3 days. It's all mental from there.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:55 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
The professionals, ie Doctors, are the major cause of these addictions.. Until they realize they are contributing to this, nothing will change.
Riiight. Blame the doctors for the choices ADDICTS make. Doctors don't get up in the morning and say "I'm going to get somebody hooked on Percocet."

Addicts are the most judgemental people. Always finding fault in others just to create a problem to justify their addiction.

Patients LIE. ADDICTS LIE.

Addicts come in complaining of excruciating pain. I caught one patient sticking her finger in her throat to induce vomiting. Should have seen her face when she saw me looking at her. Priceless. I told the doctor. The patient DEMANDED dilaudid; she got toradol instead. There was nothing wrong with her. She just wanted to get high.

Addicts are bad, but ENABLERS are worse.

The woman in the article was a dope fiend. Her first husband died of an overdose. She had a drug arrest expunged in 2010. How she managed that I don't know. Had they thrown her behind in jail, she would still be alive.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:57 PM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Pilots are drug tested, but not often. They are tested by the airline when they are hired. After that, they are tested randomly, if they have an accident/incident, or if they are suspected of being intoxicated/drugged. The random tests could be two months in a row or not for several years.

Regarding the conclusion that this is a suicide, I wouldn't be so quick to jump to that conclusion. They may have just indended to get high for the night, but took too much. I'm not justifying getting high, but it is not the same as deliberately committing suicide.

Also, the wife was previously married and her previous husband died from an overdose. She was also suffering from depression. It's possible she committed suicide and decided to take her husband with her. It's possible she took her previous husbands life. This is all speculation, I don't mean to put all the blame on her.

Sadly, two kids lost two parents and two kids lost three parents.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Take BigPharms drugs, and get them off the easy to Rx list. They should be not used, when addiction is well documented.
What "easy to Rx list"? I do not think you are familiar with the DEA rules for controlled substances. Pill mills certainly exist, but does that mean an orthopedist cannot treat an accident victim with multiple fractures with opiates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Quote:
Have ever seen someone try to quite smoking? My parents quite after 30 years, dad was using Pall Mall straights, cold turkey. No issues.
Education is key.
Some cant shake it.
"I just took Advil". "I just took Tylenol". Yes, people have different pain thresholds. Should those for whom Advil or Tylenol is insufficient be told to "just work through it"?

Should your friend with the electrical burn have never been given anything stronger than Tylenol?

Patients do need to be educated, and they need to use opiates responsibly.

http://paincommunity.org/blog/wp-con...oneHandout.pdf

Old 03-17-2017, 11:00 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,509,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
A few years back doctors were told they were under-treating pain. Pain level was to be the "fifth vital sign", after temperature, pulse, respiration, and blood pressure. Withholding pain medication due to fear of addiction was no longer acceptable.

So doctors wrote the scripts for the pain medications, some patients abused them (not you fibonacci ), and then when the docs refused to prescribe more they turned to heroin.

The physician cannot win. Either he is depriving patients of relief of their pain or he is contributing to addiction.

What do you propose for a solution, Steve? How does fibonacci get pain relief? I suspect he could also tell us what he has to do to get pain medication refills.

What was it prescribed for and for how long? Why did the parents not ask what it was?
I dont care about someone elses pain. Doctors who prescribe it are being pushed to do it. There are many other pain relief solutions we can use..Meds, therapy, massage, etc etc.
My Dad has had chronic pain since Vietnam, and he just pushes through. He was hit by blast from an explosion that threw him into something. He just deals with it and used to do Tylenol, then Motrin and now Naproxen. All they have wanted to do was given him heavy meds, addictive meds..
Like I said, everyone is different. Big Pharm pushes their meds onto Doctors.. PH'D's, should be smarter than that and know to research other meds, etc.
Roxicodone, 11 weeks.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:01 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
First of all, I need to know whether or not they voted for Trump.

Then I'll decide whether I give a damn.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
I dont care about someone elses pain. Doctors who prescribe it are being pushed to do it. There are many other pain relief solutions we can use..Meds, therapy, massage, etc etc.
My Dad has had chronic pain since Vietnam, and he just pushes through. He was hit by blast from an explosion that threw him into something. He just deals with it and used to do Tylenol, then Motrin and now Naproxen. All they have wanted to do was given him heavy meds, addictive meds..
Like I said, everyone is different. Big Pharm pushes their meds onto Doctors.. PH'D's, should be smarter than that and know to research other meds, etc.

You keep using anecdotes. What do you suggest for people who cannot "just deal with it" or "push through it"?

Quote:
Roxicodone, 11 weeks
What?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies