Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 02:54 AM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Why does the WH ignore the American people when 90% of them want this policy?
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2017/im...mmigration.pdf
Did you forget about the similar nonsense poll you posted in the illegal immigration forum?

Here it is in case you forgot:

//www.city-data.com/forum/illeg...ants-have.html

Old 03-19-2017, 03:26 AM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:

Ha!

No.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:57 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
It's called... Go back home and immigrate LEGALLY.

That's the "pathway" to citizenship.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:24 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,954 times
Quote:
No They don't.

More fake polls

Old 03-19-2017, 06:44 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
If they are here illegally, round up any illegal family they have here even anchor babies, seize ALL their assets, collect all relevant information, i.e. finger prints, photos, DNA and retinal scans, use a fast track system with no appeal process to charge and convict them for violating our immigration laws, then place them all on a plane to their country of origin.

If they are caught a second time, same treatment except their sentence should be a minimum 20 years hard labor with no chance for parole, then when they've completed their sentence, placed on a plane to their country of origin.

I don't care where they came from nor do I care about their pathetic, sorry excuse about why they broke our laws, illegal is illegal.
Do you even know any illegals? Is Kansas a real hotbed of illegal immigration?

Old 03-19-2017, 07:40 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I'm an immigrant who had to pay more than I think is my fair share so you could get me as an American citizen. I think everyone should enter legallyl but I also think that the American people and govt. have to agree that they were complicit (haha) in this whole arrangement.

Back in the day the importing of migrant workers was a benefit to American farmers. They could not find Americans to do the work for the money -- and it worked to ship temporary workers in. When those temporary workers were suppose to go home and didn't it was Americans who paid them below market wages to do jobs for them. If Americans had not supported these people they would have gone home. The govt. figured -- meh -- no harm done right -- cheap labor.....just ignore it.

Instead they stayed...got hard working jobs...and worked hard. They ended up having children who were Americans by birth.....and then it got murky.

More and more started to see the USA as the promise land. But nobody did much to shut that down because it still was a market for cheap labor.

Then it started to become obvious paying the parents of the American born kids below market wages meant the kids were living in poverty and that wasn't right -- so they started getting benefits.

Americans started saying-- whoa -- when did these people sneak into our country......huh?

Now we want them all out and gone.

Yup -- I know over simplistic -- as I have said before purposely kept simple.

The USA govt. has to offer the parents of those kids that were born in the USA citizenship. Just do it. They are here anyways.

As for the dreamers -- the babies brought here and have known nothing else -- just do it - make them citizens.

It's not going to take away jobs from anybody. Trump is going to create jobs for everyone anyways -- and everyone who is here illegally is probably already working so they wont' be needing a NEW job. And I would argue that they can't be taking a job from a USA citizen

If you can find one American company that would prefer to hire an illegal immigrant than an American citizen -- please let me know .....I need to know.

I don't have a problem with the scum of the world being sent home but when you see a Mom who was tricked by ICE agents and sent home because she is illegal --- and she has kids here...come on -- this does none of us any good. It does not keep us safe...it does not give us more money. It does not create a job...it does nothing for all of us and it destroys a family.
Totally disagree with you on all accounts. You're made some pretty erroneous claims here also.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:15 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,921,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I'm an immigrant who had to pay more than I think is my fair share so you could get me as an American citizen. I think everyone should enter legallyl but I also think that the American people and govt. have to agree that they were complicit (haha) in this whole arrangement.

Back in the day the importing of migrant workers was a benefit to American farmers. They could not find Americans to do the work for the money -- and it worked to ship temporary workers in. When those temporary workers were suppose to go home and didn't it was Americans who paid them below market wages to do jobs for them. If Americans had not supported these people they would have gone home. The govt. figured -- meh -- no harm done right -- cheap labor.....just ignore it.

Instead they stayed...got hard working jobs...and worked hard. They ended up having children who were Americans by birth.....and then it got murky.

More and more started to see the USA as the promise land. But nobody did much to shut that down because it still was a market for cheap labor.

Then it started to become obvious paying the parents of the American born kids below market wages meant the kids were living in poverty and that wasn't right -- so they started getting benefits.

Americans started saying-- whoa -- when did these people sneak into our country......huh?

Now we want them all out and gone.

Yup -- I know over simplistic -- as I have said before purposely kept simple.

The USA govt. has to offer the parents of those kids that were born in the USA citizenship. Just do it. They are here anyways.

As for the dreamers -- the babies brought here and have known nothing else -- just do it - make them citizens.

It's not going to take away jobs from anybody. Trump is going to create jobs for everyone anyways -- and everyone who is here illegally is probably already working so they wont' be needing a NEW job. And I would argue that they can't be taking a job from a USA citizen

If you can find one American company that would prefer to hire an illegal immigrant than an American citizen -- please let me know .....I need to know.

I don't have a problem with the scum of the world being sent home but when you see a Mom who was tricked by ICE agents and sent home because she is illegal --- and she has kids here...come on -- this does none of us any good. It does not keep us safe...it does not give us more money. It does not create a job...it does nothing for all of us and it destroys a family.
Like most discussions on this topic, it's not simple. People who try to use this as a wedge issue spin it one way or the other. The reality is that some of what you say is true regarding the origin of illegal immigrants; a lot of businesses here in America, agriculture and construction for example, benefited from them. Many of them came here originally via legal permits and they overstayed illegally (for example). In recent years, the outflow across the border has been to escape the narco wars. The really bad guys that Trump is always rattling on about represent a small percentage of illegals; especially drug cartel members, they are not stupid enough to risk being an illegal in the USA. Runners, maybe, but once again a small percentage of illegals.

I think most sensible people agree with you on this one. We all want the hard criminals to be sent back. Most want some improved border control (a wall of course is just dumb from any perspective, just ask ICE). Maybe petty criminals should be deported too, open for debate. But the rest of them? I agree with the idea of having a pathway to citizenship for them for a number of reasons beyond simple compassion. First of all, cultural diversity makes our country STRONGER not weaker. Secondly, we weaken our position in the world if we start behaving like a totalitarian police state. We don't need more enemies, we need more good will toward us. That is, unless you WANT to start a war with someone.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:24 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Like most discussions on this topic, it's not simple. People who try to use this as a wedge issue spin it one way or the other. The reality is that some of what you say is true regarding the origin of illegal immigrants; a lot of businesses here in America, agriculture and construction for example, benefited from them. Many of them came here originally via legal permits and they overstayed illegally (for example). In recent years, the outflow across the border has been to escape the narco wars. The really bad guys that Trump is always rattling on about represent a small percentage of illegals; especially drug cartel members, they are not stupid enough to risk being an illegal in the USA. Runners, maybe, but once again a small percentage of illegals.

I think most sensible people agree with you on this one. We all want the hard criminals to be sent back. Most want some improved border control (a wall of course is just dumb from any perspective, just ask ICE). Maybe petty criminals should be deported too, open for debate. But the rest of them? I agree with the idea of having a pathway to citizenship for them for a number of reasons beyond simple compassion. First of all, cultural diversity makes our country STRONGER not weaker. Secondly, we weaken our position in the world if we start behaving like a totalitarian police state. We don't need more enemies, we need more good will toward us. That is, unless you WANT to start a war with someone.

The wall is not dumb and works. See my links below. Americans need their jobs back. If illegals are allowed to remain here by the millions how would that work? Where's your compassion for the American families who have been negatively impacted by illegal immigration? We tried amnesty back in 1986 and now we have at least quadruple the number of illegals here today. When do these amnesties end? No one deserves our citizenship who thumbed their noses at our immigration laws. We would actually gain the respect of most of the world for enforcing our immigration laws. Most of them do also so that would make them hypocrites to criticize us for the same thing. Right now we are the laughing stock of the world not doing so and has made us vulnerable to all kinds of unsavory things.

Granting amnesty to millions of illegal aliens would negate our sane annual quotas for legal immigration for years to come. We don't owe anyone any respect who did not respect us.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:39 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post

It's pretty simple. If you are here illegally, you shouldn't be allowed to stay.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:40 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,921,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The wall is not dumb and works. See my links below. Americans need their jobs back. If illegals are allowed to remain here by the millions how would that work? Where's your compassion for the American families who have been negatively impacted by illegal immigration? We tried amnesty back in 1986 and now we have at least quadruple the number of illegals here today. When do these amnesties end? No one deserves our citizenship who thumbed their noses at our immigration laws. We would actually gain the respect of most of the world for enforcing our immigration laws. Most of them do also so that would make them hypocrites to criticize us for the same thing. Right now we are the laughing stock of the world not doing so and has made us vulnerable to all kinds of unsavory things.

Granting amnesty to millions of illegal aliens would negate our sane annual quotas for legal immigration for years to come. We don't owe anyone any respect who did not respect us.
Of course we deport the criminals, right away. No one is disagreeing with that.

I never said to open the borders with no restriction, which is what you are implying. It's just that I have not heard anyone show any proof that a wall will be effective. There are many other ways to get in this country than through the desert from Mexico. Just ask ICE. When they are interviewed about the idea, they just shake their heads, you can hear the audible groan. As far as I can tell the wall is just a feel-good idea with little advantage based on the people that actually know something about immigration control. We DO need to strengthen border control, but the wall is a crude poorly thought out idea.

As far as "Americans who have been negatively impacted by illegal immigration", that's a fantasy. Sure you can point to examples of illegal immigrants committing crimes, but I've not seen anything suggesting that it's any greater than any other sector of the populace. In fact, immigrants both legal and illegal actually STRENGTHEN our culture, with their work ethic especially.

Maybe another way of putting it is this; we've done a really crappy job of controlling our borders over the years. So let's strengthen the borders, evict the criminals, and not shoot ourselves in the foot by instituting a huge new bureaucracy in our haste to "send them all back". Do you think that's going to be cheap?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies