Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2017, 12:06 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,843,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Are you saying that Trump is one of the less-educated? They guy who loves to tout his fancy Wharton credentials? Shouldn't a college-educated man have the capacity to string together coherent sentences?
What i am saying is Trump is addressing as broad an audience as possible. This means speaking at a sixth or seventh grade level as approximately one adult in five has a vocabulary at or below that level.

Trump won. His communicating got him to his goal. When I tell an employee what I want done at work my only care is I communicate so he accomplishes my goal.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:10 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,768,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
He just beat 17 other people who communicated like an adult.
Did those 17 people climb atop one another, don an extra long trench coat and try to convince others that they were just one large adult rather than 17 separate adult entities?

Old 03-18-2017, 12:11 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,472,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I totally agree. The uneducated like him because they understand what he is saying, with the lack of big words.
Exactly, they love the words Trump makes up like "bigly"...

Old 03-18-2017, 12:14 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,521,983 times
Quote:
What i am saying is Trump is addressing as broad an audience as possible. This means speaking at a sixth or seventh grade level as approximately one adult in five has a vocabulary at or below that level.

Trump won. His communicating got him to his goal. When I tell an employee what I want done at work my only care is I communicate so he accomplishes my goal.
I had no problem understanding Obama when he spoke. He didn't interject his sentences with large confusing words, he simply spoke professionally. Course, I also graduated high school so maybe that's my problem.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:16 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,768,826 times
Quote:
Putting down those less educated than yourself certainly is.

Why do people insist that education can only be found through going to school? I educate myself all the time. I have a laptop with all the information I could ever need right here in front of me. People put limitations on themselves. If a person feels like they're somehow "less than" because of their lack of education, but are posting on a message board, then that's a choice they've made, I guess. It's just as easy to find education sites as it is to find this one. I am the worst when it comes to math, but I have taken steps over the years to educate myself, at least to the point where I can calculate a budget and tips. If I'd simply accepted the fact that I am a complete idiot when it comes to math, I'd still know nothing, but I don't accept that. The information is available to me, so it's my own fault if I don't take advantage of it.

The president has access to education that other people can only dream of, yet he's so confident that he has the "best" words that he doesn't even consider learning what he doesn't know.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:16 PM

7,795 posts, read 6,364,170 times
How else are the 'some high school' or worse Obama supporters supposed to understand him?

Old 03-18-2017, 12:20 PM

1,478 posts, read 785,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Consider his audience: The United States of America.
Yeah, I was thinking similar because newspapers are written around that same level. You learn that in a journalism course. But whether it is a speech or a newspaper article you are supposed to communicate in such a way that your audience can understand you. In speech you can tailor that per select audience. But newspapers try to reach a broad audience, so, you want to use language all can understand.

Also, I was taught in speech class that almost no world leaders write their own speeches. Only a small fraction of world leaders have. But we know Obama (and generally no US President) never wrote his own speeches. Because at least one of the people writing his speeches was interviewed about his successful job in doing so.

If Trump does write his own speeches then I take my hate off to him. That is a rare trait and rare responsibility taken on by world leaders. Leaders of countries.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:25 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,073,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
How else are the 'some high school' or worse Obama supporters supposed to understand him?
That snobbish attitude gets exactly nowhere. I know people with a 140 IQ and a tenth grade education that make more than the average degree holder. Education is important, but it's not a dangly to hold over the unwashed masses. That sort of thinking just makes you an a-hole.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:30 PM

1,478 posts, read 785,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You can readily understand those world leaders who've actually invested the time and effort to become proficient at the use of their language to gain respect from their constituency wondering at the ascendency of one such as Trump.

This will end badly.
Very few leaders of countries write their own speeches. Obama never did. And I'm not sure when the last President of the United States did.

Obama was one of the greatest orators of American Presidents but he did not actually write his speeches. Nor did he when he ran his first time for the Presidency. It was a young white guy that wrote his speeches. I remember watching the dude being interviewed years later.

There was a President of Czechoslovakia, Vaclav Havel, an actual writer and philosopher by trade, who wrote all of his own speeches as he led his nation as President. He was one of the few, if not the only one, who did during his era of Presidency.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:30 PM

88,276 posts, read 84,257,762 times
Even Alex Trebek said--when a non-degreed contestant walked away with tens of thousands of dollars--it's not the level of education that makes people win on Jeopardy, it's how much they READ.

My mother is very intelligent. She reads constantly. She has written and given speeches for the local American Legion and VFW and her church, and she once asked me to review one of her speeches. I took out two whole unnecessary words. She is 88 years old and dropped out of high school at 15, but she didn't stop learning.

She is still embarrassed that someone will remember that she didn't finish high school, but that pool of people has gotten pretty small.

I'm just pointing out that education does not always correlate to intelligence, as others have said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies