Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 12:58 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Thank you, Tinytrump,
A lot of that charity is going to churches. A lot of church donations are buying country club memberships for the minister and airplanes and helicopters.
No they aren't. There may be a point to be made but you don't make valid points with hyperbole. I have no clue but I imagine the number of churches that have and airplane or helicopter is somewhere in a percent to the right of the decimal point.

Quote:
Here in in Houston a church bought a house a block from me. They paid 525000 for a that house for the assistant minister, who happened to be the son of the minister.

They made the 30 mile trip to church driven in a town car or in one of their helicopters. There was no airport close to the church so the plane wouldn't work.
Which church was this? This is Houston.

https://news.vice.com/article/more-u...g-the-homeless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 01:01 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why doesn't any liberal take homeless people to their own home?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed.

That goes for a "conservative" NOT wanting to take in a stranger, too.
There is something wrong with both of you. Arguments like these are ignorant.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:17 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The writer of the book 'What the Dog Saw' had a piece on homelessness. He examined the cost to the community of emergency services, etc. for a year for homeless people. Jails and emergency room and brief hospital stays were running at 100K a year. Some town bought an old motel, fixed them to include a small kitchenette, hired a staff person to live onsite to be sure the residents took their meds and stuff. Many were able to return to work and get back on track. The key was the onsite staff. Cost to the city were reduced considerably.

That is the solution. But many think it its coddling so the program did not gain any ground.
Well that figures. So many Americans are just so damned uncharitable. I'd much rather pay to have the mentally ill homeless housed and supervised than encounter them on the streets.

It's cruel to the homeless, and a quality of life and sometimes a safety issue for the rest of us. But so many Americans just can't stand it when they think someone is getting something for "free" that they themselves don't get.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:15 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,669,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Utah solved their homeless problem, but of course you wouldn't believe it since it didn't come from a liberal politician.
Quite a presumptuous statement by you. You don't know me. So why pretend you do? But the fact that someone supposedly solved the problem and then providing nary a shred of supporting evidence only relects poorly on your powers of persuasion. Finally, even in you do believe that of me I assume you are aware this is a public forum and others, which I assume you don't personally know, might benefit from your "evidence."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies