Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 07:29 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
i buy what i can afford- the responsibility lies on the manufacturer- for the JOB parts
yeah, that's true, nobody really knows where most things are made anymore. i wouldn't look at a washing machine with an american flag sticker on it and think "Yup that was made in America"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 07:30 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,625,222 times
Trumps suits and clothing line aren't made here either. He goes around promoting America and making it great again but because Trump operates on pure profit over patriotism, he won't move the clothing line here.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:31 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I will continue to buy based on HOW something is made rather than WHERE it's made. I would rather spend more money for better quality, and taste when it comes to produce like Avocados from Mexico.
When a company is producing something to sell, they are weighing their costs-of-production, against quality.

When your costs-of-production are lower, you can raise quality, and still remain competitive.

I don't think American companies necessarily have a quality problem. But more a cost vs quality problem.

If we look at phones for a minute. The Iphone is obviously a good phone, but it isn't even made in America. They are all made in China.

Why? There are a number of reasons, but it is in part because the Chinese government is subsidizing their industry by artificially weakening the value of their currency. Basically, they are currency manipulators.

They also subsidize their industry by holding down production costs, by pushing production costs off onto other sectors of their economy. Think of how governments will build stadiums for NFL teams, or build factories for corporations, or give tax-breaks to attract a range of businesses.

Also, one of the advocates for single-payer healthcare was General Motors. Why? Because currently, GM's unions demand Health-insurance, and GM has to pay for it directly from its revenue. But with a single-payer system, health-insurance would be paid for by taxes. And GM could then lobby to be sheltered from the taxes, thus offloading the costs of their business onto others. Making them artificially-competitive.

Basically, this is the problem with "free-trade" vs "fair-trade". There are numerous mechanisms which make free-trade unfair.

With that said, I think encouraging people to "Buy American" is a waste of time. To combat unfair trade, you need to put in place tariffs, and other mechanisms, which can make trade fair.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:33 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
I agree. We buy what we like and think is a good value for its quality. I never look at the label for country of origin. That's meaningless to me and most folks.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:38 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,699,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
now is not a particularly good time to be crowing about your all-samsung lineup of washers, dryers, tv's and smartphones.

the samsung smartphones melt and/or explode

the samsung smart TV has software that lets the CIA (or anyone, really) operate the camera in "Fake Off Mode"

the samsung washers have some kind of problem where they rotate too fast and the top comes off..
Seems some people are really into vainglory these days. Only what you would expect from trumpisst christians, apparently.

VAINGLORY
van-glo'-ri (kenodoxia):
"Vainglory" is the translation of kenodoxia, "empty glory" or "pride," nearly akin to vanity in the modern sense (Philippians 2:3). Kenodoxos is "vainglorious" (Galatians 5:26, "Let us not be desirous of vainglory," the Revised Version (British and American) "Let us not become vainglorious"). In 1John 2:16 the Revised Version (British and American) has "the vainglory of life" (alazoneia tou biou) for "the pride of life"; compare James 4:16, "Ye glory in your vauntings" (alazoneia). Kenodoxia is translated "vainglory" (The Wisdom of Solomon 14:14, "For by the vain glory of men they (idols) entered into the world," the Revised Version (British and American) "vaingloriousless"); alazoneia occurs in The Wisdom of Solomon 5:8, translated "vaunting." "Pride is applicable to every object, good or bad, high or low, small or great; vanity is applicable only to small objects; pride is therefore good or bad; vanity is always bad; it is always emptiness or nothingness" (Crabb, English Synonymes).
W. L. Walker

Vainglory Definition and Meaning - Bible Dictionary

Old 03-19-2017, 07:47 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
yeah, that's true, nobody really knows where most things are made anymore. i wouldn't look at a washing machine with an american flag sticker on it and think "Yup that was made in America"
It takes about 5 minutes on the Internet to find that out.

This American-made washing machine is so good it has a cult following

Old 03-19-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It takes about 5 minutes on the Internet to find that out.

This American-made washing machine is so good it has a cult following
That link didn't tell me anything about where the parts were sourced or anything like that. Bosch washing machines are also "Built in America," in New Bern, NC - probably with German parts.

I know with cars, BMW will send build many of the high-value parts in Germany, and send them into the U.S. to be bolted together. Now it's "Made in America."

Old 03-19-2017, 07:50 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
That link didn't tell me anything about where the parts were sourced or anything like that.
Google is your friend if you really want to know. Sounds like you don't however.

But here's something for you. Samsung builds appliances for the North American market in Mexico, not Korea.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Google is your friend if you really want to know. Sounds like you don't however.
Yes you're right, I really don't want to know where your washing machine's parts were sourced. It is kind of amazing that at any step of the discussion, you thought I would.

Quote:
But here's something for you. Samsung builds appliances for the North American market in Mexico, not Korea.
ok. Samsung is a global corporation, does that surprise you?

Old 03-19-2017, 07:56 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,353 times
It's become very difficult to know what is made where, I traded in my Canadian made Ford Ranger for an American made Nissan Frontier, The Ranger had a drive train most likely made in the US, The Nissan drive train was most likely sourced from Japan.

I'm not a big fan of Samsung electronics, I have had a lot of problems with the ones I've had.

My washing machine is a Bosch, no idea where its made.

I have a Sony 5 disc CD changer that still works quite well even though it is over 25 years old, Of course this was when Sony was made in Japan, now there products are mostly outsourced to China, Korea, etc. and the quality is much lower.

RR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies