Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 05:34 PM

7,161 posts, read 4,718,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Those were my thoughts also. He may have been checking to see if they were old enough to be served alcohol. Leave it to the liberals to make more of this story than there was. It's what they do.
Wrong.

You DO NOT ask for ID until customer has requested alcohol.

Stop making stuff up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 05:37 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,621,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
oh please, if oyu are so offended by stories like this, then stop reading the newspapers, or listening to talk radio. these stories happen all the time, and by people on both sides. most of the dont get reported. and by the way, these things happen just as often in OTHER countries as well. so grow up and put your big girl pants on.

one question i have though is, did it ever occur to anyone that these girls might be lying? its possible that the indicent happened just the way it was reported, and if it was then the waiter deserved to be fired. on the other hand, if he was checking IDs to make sure the girls that ordered drinks were of legal age, and the girls got offended, and went to the manager about it, and he started to tell them why they check IDs for people ordering alcohol, and they decided to make a different issue about it and claimed the waiter said it was about checking that they were from there, then the girls lied and things should not have been blown up over this.

one more thing, having working the in hospitality industry for 25 years, i cant tell you how many times people would make a fuss over the smallest things to try and get something for free. is it possible that these girls didnt have enough money to pay for their meals, and fussed to get them free? even though they walked out without ordering?
Well, the restaurant manager obviously thought their server was out of line.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:42 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
oh please, if oyu are so offended by stories like this, then stop reading the newspapers, or listening to talk radio. these stories happen all the time, and by people on both sides. most of the dont get reported. and by the way, these things happen just as often in OTHER countries as well. so grow up and put your big girl pants on.

one question i have though is, did it ever occur to anyone that these girls might be lying? its possible that the indicent happened just the way it was reported, and if it was then the waiter deserved to be fired. on the other hand, if he was checking IDs to make sure the girls that ordered drinks were of legal age, and the girls got offended, and went to the manager about it, and he started to tell them why they check IDs for people ordering alcohol, and they decided to make a different issue about it and claimed the waiter said it was about checking that they were from there, then the girls lied and things should not have been blown up over this.

one more thing, having working the in hospitality industry for 25 years, i cant tell you how many times people would make a fuss over the smallest things to try and get something for free. is it possible that these girls didnt have enough money to pay for their meals, and fussed to get them free? even though they walked out without ordering?
Making a big deal over nothing is not new. But, I'd like to know how many times you've gotten the, "the waiter asked for my legal residence before I could order complaint" as one of the main excuses you've gotten to get something for free. Nevermind the fact that the girls walked out of the restaurant and didn't even ask for anything.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:01 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,643,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Well, the restaurant manager obviously thought their server was out of line.
the guy wasnt fired until the facebook post went viral, could the girls story have changed over time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Making a big deal over nothing is not new. But, I'd like to know how many times you've gotten the, "the waiter asked for my legal residence before I could order complaint" as one of the main excuses you've gotten to get something for free. Nevermind the fact that the girls walked out of the restaurant and didn't even ask for anything.
i never go that, but then at the time the issue of illegal aliens in the country wasnt at a fever pitch like it is now.

and yes the girls did walk out, but once again we are only getting one side of the story, and we are getting it third hand as well from a writer who is pushing an agenda of his own. in my opinion this story smells rotten. where is the waiter trying to defend himself? where is the interview with the restaurant manager asking what his take on the issue was?

Old 03-19-2017, 06:07 PM

62,419 posts, read 28,679,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Wrong.

You DO NOT ask for ID until customer has requested alcohol.

Stop making stuff up.

Speculating is making things up?

Old 03-19-2017, 06:11 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,227,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
My guess is that the waiter is some young kid (maybe new to the restaurant) who literally didn't know better. The restaurant told to him to ask for ID never further explaining. Hearing so much about proof of residency on the news, he put 2 and 2 together and got 100. Sad.
According to the L.A. Times, that waiter was "not a new hire"…
Waiter fired after asking Latinas for 'proof of residency' at upscale Huntington Beach eatery - LA Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
It wasn't just the term he had wrong - but the concept. "I need to make sure you're from here before I serve you." You'd think he'd wonder why he was to only card younger customers but for some, well, just no connecting of the dots.

IF it went down this way ... WaPo SHOULD have made it clear that the confusion started with an alcoholic drink order. The restaurant, too, could have taken some responsibility for a gap in training. That the waiter assumed the issue was residency is a sign of our times. Regardless, I can understand the dismay of the girls. They seemed open to the residence comment being a bad joke but the waiter's "explanation" was the final straw. He WAS saying what they heard.
The Washington Post got wind of the story three days after it was covered by the Orange County Register (the local newspaper for that area)…
Huntington Beach restaurant fires waiter after he asks 4 diners for 'proof of residency' - The Orange County Register

Old 03-19-2017, 06:12 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,082,245 times
Sometimes you try to hire good people and a crazy slips under the radar.

Happens everywhere.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:32 PM

18,512 posts, read 7,265,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The so called president inspires yet another hate crime.
Quit making stuff up. That's not a hate crime. It's not a crime at all.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 03-19-2017 at 09:42 PM..

Old 03-19-2017, 09:48 PM

62,419 posts, read 28,679,488 times
Trump doesn't hate Hispanics here legally and he only objects to those here illegally. How was this a hate crime inspired by Trump?

Old 03-19-2017, 09:53 PM

19,704 posts, read 11,961,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Sometimes you try to hire good people and a crazy slips under the radar.

Happens everywhere.
Quoted for truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies