Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 05:59 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
To get into universities in Europe, you have to have the equivalent qualifications to get into the top 50 or so universities and colleges in the United States.

So it's easy for European governments to pay for the small number of universities and university students. Hence, the free tuition. And those students are assured of a good job once they graduate.

Everyone else has to settle for NOT being a lawyer, doctor, engineer, professor, etc.

In the U.S., we act as though everyone can be a lawyer, doctor, engineer, etc.

Of course that's not true.

Even if everyone were capable -- which they are not -- there are only so many of those positions that society needs to have filled.

We need to match our education to the careers and jobs that are available. That's what they do in Europe. And companies should invest in training, including paid apprenticeships starting at about age fourteen.

Taxpayers are wasting a lot of money on schools that don't produce what employers want or need. It's a recipe for failure all around.
Re: bold: Germany, for one European Country, turned down the 'Wal-Mart business model', it wasn't suitable for the goals & objectives of their Country.

Quote:
...Several of the nation's largest employers are retailers. Most famously, Wal-Mart Stores, which owns Walmart and Sam's Club, employs roughly 2.2 million people worldwide and is the largest private employer in the United States. Target and Kroger are also among America's largest employers and may still add to their workforces. Target recently has begun expanding into Canada, while Kroger recently purchased rival Harris Teeter. ...
The 10 largest employers in America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 06:05 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
#1 Germany weeds out many with a test that if the US used (and had similar results to Germany) liberals would scream racist at the top of their lungs.

Of people aged 25 to 64 - Only 27% of Germans have a college degree. 44% of Americans have a degree.

#2 Since Germany pays for college, but only for a select few, they limit the degrees that one can get. Degrees in "social justice," "gender studies," and other such liberal degrees are less obtainable in Germany than the US.

#3 The US spends its money on military so that Germany can spend more money on its own people. Watch Trump increase this - no need to pay your fair share Germany...we will operate 50,000+ US personnel inside of Germany!
Actually Germans do complain about the same things. I like Finland's way in education. Separating children out at early ages is disingenuous in my opinion. Also, with a system like this safeties have to be put in place so lower income children can be as competitive as their higher income counterparts.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:07 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
It seems to me that the real problem in the US is that Society stress's the importance of having a college education/degree over a Trade school education. To the point that parents who work in the trades and make a pretty good living feel compelled to push their kids into a 4 year program that straps them with huge debt and a semi-useful education. I also think this degradation of skilled job training is aided and abetted by the insistence of some to allow the uncontrolled entrance to this Country of people who will work for low pay compared to those educated in the Trades. Not all the trades mind you but a lot of the construction trades for sure.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:15 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
I'm thinking a lot of people aren't understanding how and why US public education was dumbed down. It has been going on for 5 decades. And it was intentional.

A college professor has done the research, and tells us what has happened and why...
Quote:
"While students in the bottom quartile have shown slow but steady improvement since the 1960s, average test scores have nonetheless gone down, primarily because of the performance of those in the top quartile. This "highest cohort of achievers," Rudman writes, has shown "the greatest declines across a variety of subjects as well as across age-level groups." Analysts have also found "a substantial drop among those children in the middle range of achievement"

...The contrast was stark: schools that had "severely declining test scores" had "moved determinedly toward heterogeneous grouping" (that is, mixed students of differing ability levels in the same classes), while the "schools who have maintained good SAT [Stanford Achievement Test, for grades K-12] scores" tended "to prefer homogeneous grouping [ability/skill-level grouping, aka tracking]."

If attaining educational excellence is this simple, why have these high-quality schools become so rare? The answer lies in the cultural ferment of the 1960s.

THE INCUBUS OF THE SIXTIES

In every conceivable fashion the reigning ethos of those times was hostile to excellence in education. Individual achievement fell under intense suspicion, as did attempts to maintain standards. Discriminating among students on the basis of ability or performance was branded "elitist." Educational gurus of the day called for essentially nonacademic schools, whose main purpose would be to build habits of social cooperation and equality rather than to train the mind."
The Other Crisis in American Education - The Atlantic

Much more at the link.

Note that not only is our population largely unable to think anymore due to the large-scale dumbing-down of our country's public education system, but the "equal outcomes disdain for excellence" education ideology failed to accomplish its social cooperation and cohesion goal, as well.

This is the quintessential, most epic failure of the SJW mentality, and it has done irreparable harm to our country.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:17 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

There are different types of universities, some are more academic and research orientated such as the Russell Group in the UK, whilst others are more techincal and vocational, as many careers involve obtaning a degree or diploma in areas such as teaching, nursing, social work, the police etc.

Types of UK universities - UKNI

Types of University in the UK - The Student Room

Types of US Universities | US-UK Fulbright Commission

Guide to Types of University in the US - QS
Yeah we have vocational 'universities' too in Finland, very popular. In the city I used to live there was the Police vocational school, I went to visit it with my immigrant school classmates. I was disappointed to find out it was nothing like Police Academy

Old 03-21-2017, 06:17 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Actually Germans do complain about the same things. I like Finland's way in education. Separating children out at early ages is disingenuous in my opinion. Also, with a system like this safeties have to be put in place so lower income children can be as competitive as their higher income counterparts.
\

Impressive.

Why Are Finland's Schools Successful? | Innovation | Smithsonian

Old 03-21-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm thinking a lot of people aren't understanding how and why US public education was dumbed down. It has been going on for 5 decades. And it was intentional.

A college professor has done the research, and tells us what has happened and why...
The Other Crisis in American Education - The Atlantic

Much more at the link.

Note that not only is our population largely unable to think anymore due to the large-scale dumbing-down of our country's public education system, but the "equal outcomes disdain for excellence" education ideology failed to accomplish its social cooperation and cohesion goal, as well.

This is the quintessential, most epic failure of the SJW mentality, and it has done irreparable harm to our country.

^bad link^

Old 03-21-2017, 06:32 AM

Here's the link to the 1991 piece:

The Other Crisis in American Education - 91.11

No wonder there are some who prefer the entire piece is not read. Predictable.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:40 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Here's the link to the 1991 piece:

The Other Crisis in American Education - 91.11

No wonder there are some who prefer the entire piece is not read. Predictable.
If you prefer, here's a much more recent analysis of 12th grade academic achievement proficiency levels, reported by race/ethnicity. You tell us if a less than 50% proficiency level among the highest achieving demographics is acceptable. Then comment on the proficiency levels of American Indian/Alaskan Native, Hispanic, and Black students.

NAEP - Mathematics and Reading

Old 03-21-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If you prefer, here's a much more recent analysis of 12th grade academic achievement proficiency levels, reported by race/ethnicity. You tell us if a less than 50% proficiency level among the highest achieving demographics is acceptable. Then comment on the proficiency levels of American Indian/Alaskan Native, Hispanic, and Black students.

NAEP - Mathematics and Reading
Also predictable when you attempt to engage me & then report my post as 'off topic'. I'm gonna follow the TOS, specifically, 'Do Not Feed The Trolls'. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Have a nice day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies