Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 12:42 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times

Advertisements

https://aclj.org/religious-liberty/c...s&sf53256815=1

I thought this was against the law. ?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 05:24 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
We have no way of knowing, because there are no details whatsoever. Anyone can make up whatever they like and post it on a website.

And there will always be people who just swallow it up without asking any questions at all, because it's something they really want to hear.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:41 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Article is FAR too general. I heard his brother's cousin's girlfriend's father was denied a place in college because he believed in the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

That article was way too general for believability. This would be good:, On January 6, 2017, Ignatius Huugenstrueder, was at the final interview to get into the University of Colorado, basketweaving program, but was denied when the interviewer, John Smith, wearing a "I hate Christians" button asked him if he was a stinking loser Christian."

Old 03-20-2017, 05:53 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
https://aclj.org/religious-liberty/c...s&sf53256815=1

I thought this was against the law. ?????
Isn't that the plot of "god is dead". They do know that's a movie not a documentary, right?

Old 03-20-2017, 05:53 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Yet....People are only to happy to believe protecting our borders is an act specifically targeting against Muslims?
I definitely would like more information about this situation which is the subject of the link posted by the OP....But to blatantly deny that it is happening is ludicrous given what we see in the U.S. today.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:39 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Article is FAR too general. I heard his brother's cousin's girlfriend's father was denied a place in college because he believed in the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

That article was way too general for believability. This would be good:, On January 6, 2017, Ignatius Huugenstrueder, was at the final interview to get into the University of Colorado, basketweaving program, but was denied when the interviewer, John Smith, wearing a "I hate Christians" button asked him if he was a stinking loser Christian."
Here you go:
Quote:
Brandon made several attempts to address with Defendants the discriminatory reasoning upon which they denied his admission to the program. In response to a letter from the ACLJ outlining CCBC’s retaliation, CCBC defended Director Dougherty’s comments to Mr. Jenkins suggesting that such comments were merely intended to advise Brandon that "he not wear them [his religious beliefs] on his sleeve," and “[s]tated bluntly, that is not bad advice.”

Since Director Dougherty’s comments, CCBC has attempted to provide additional reasons for Brandon’s non-admission to the Program. Nonetheless, despite persistent denial by CCBC of unfair treatment, CCBC acknowledges that Brandon lost points during the interview process because Brandon allegedly stated that he was pursuing a career in radiation therapy at the behest of God. This, CCBC asserts, was not “the best answer.” CCBC further stated, "[c]andidates who describe thoughtful considerations about what the candidate will contribute as an individual to patients and the advancement of care make far better therapists than those who are told by others [God] to pursue the field. . . the fact is that in any secular job or program interview it is better to have a concrete reason for wanting to undertake the training at hand than to say only that God directed one to do it."

ACLJ Files Lawsuit On Behalf of Student Denied College Admission Because of His Faith
Quote:
Dustin applied to CCBC’s Radiation Therapy Program for the 2013 and 2014 academic years. While he surpassed the standards of a competitive candidate both years, made the Dean’s List in 2013, and even raised his GPA for the 2014 application process, Dustin was nonetheless denied admission to each application. In fact, in the 2014 admission cycle, Dustin was not even granted an interview as he had been in 2013.

During that interview in 2013, Dustin was asked by the CCBC interview panel, “What do you base your morals on?” Dustin replied, “My faith.” His faith was not mentioned again, yet, in a written review of his interview, the Program Director, Adrienne Dougherty, stated that Dustin had lost points because,
[Dustin] also brought up religion a great deal during the interview. Yes, this is a field that involves death and dying; but religion cannot be brought up in the clinic by therapist or students.[1]
Dustin attempted to discuss his denials for admittance with various CCBC officials, including Dean of the School of Health Professions, Carol Eustis, and Charles Martino, Academic Advisor for the Radiation Therapy Program. Although Dean Eustis never returned Dustin’s request for a meeting, Dustin was able to meet with Mr. Martino. While their meeting did not result in Dustin’s admittance to the Program, Mr. Martino did admit that he did not believe that Dustin was denied admission because of his GPA.

A Second Christian Student Suffers Discrimination at Maryland College; ACLJ Sues
It should not be acceptable to anyone, anymore than another public school denying admission because the student professed no faith.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:03 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,922 times
I don't know if this article is legit or not. However, I would not be surprised if it were true. It is not "trendy" or cool to be a Christian in America today. If a school rejects someone due to being a Christian, then that is not the school for them. I cannot stand Obama, but I agree with one statement he made- America is not a Christian nation anymore.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:23 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
America is not a Christian nation anymore.
America is not a nation anymore. It is a business.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:35 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,214,639 times
Maybe I missed it but where did the second guy earn his undergraduate degree. As much as people like to think grades/GPAs are comparable across institutions- its not the case. I know someone who helped with admissions at the medical university in my city and he said they actually has factored percentages they applied to GPAs from the various schools.

I also think 'faith' is a valid answer to where someone bases their morals or ethics. But I have known plenty of people who also use religion in place of job specific knowledge. The Lord can move you to act but you still need follow the set standards and protocols to perform that work. I once worked with an architect who actually started meetings with prayer on occasion. But his team produced a couple of poor designs and had inadequate drawing sets. Pointing this out became very difficult since some people were so enamored by his religious practice that they ignored a lack of professional competence. On the flip side I've know some truly devoted people who did not hide their beliefs but still functioned in a job setting with only occasional reference to religion.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:45 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Maybe I missed it but where did the second guy earn his undergraduate degree. As much as people like to think grades/GPAs are comparable across institutions- its not the case. I know someone who helped with admissions at the medical university in my city and he said they actually has factored percentages they applied to GPAs from the various schools.

I also think 'faith' is a valid answer to where someone bases their morals or ethics. But I have known plenty of people who also use religion in place of job specific knowledge. The Lord can move you to act but you still need follow the set standards and protocols to perform that work. I once worked with an architect who actually started meetings with prayer on occasion. But his team produced a couple of poor designs and had inadequate drawing sets. Pointing this out became very difficult since some people were so enamored by his religious practice that they ignored a lack of professional competence. On the flip side I've know some truly devoted people who did not hide their beliefs but still functioned in a job setting with only occasional reference to religion.
It did not require a previous degree, rather a series of prerequisites. As to where he earned those, at the same institute where he was applying to the program, Community College of Baltimore County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies