Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 10:23 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Curious, although I know it hasn't been long that Trump has been POTUS, who can offer evidence proof-positive that what Trump has done or wants to do will help YOU personally and tangibly? For example, no rhetoric about just "making America great again," or safer against terrorism, or general positive economic news...

What can anyone claim is now better for them personally, quantifiably? For example, better health care, lower health care costs, a new job, higher pay. If nothing yet, what is it you foresee in the future, better for you personally and why?

Concrete specifics only please. Plenty generalities enough in these threads for those who prefer more of that same old rhetorical dance in the dark...
The president should not be given so much power, that he can make choices on his own that would directly affect me in a positive or negative way.

It's the lunatic left, who want to empower the Preezy to dictate their lives to them. It's one reason they are going nutz over Trump. The libs heaped so much power and authority onto the Executive branch and the sundry federal agencies, that they fear what Trump might do.

Stop empowering the president and allowing him to exercise more and more authority over your day-to-day lives, then you won't whinge an whine when someone you have ideological disagreements with becomes president.

You health care, your pay check, or your way of life should never be impacted by who was elected president, unfortunately, that's the way the lunatic left likes it.

"Oh please tell me which bathrooms I 'shall' or 'shall not' use"

"Oh please dictate the school lunch menu my kids will eat."

"Oh please, for the love of god, dictate what health care insurance I must purchase, and punish me if I stray."
/lunaticleft
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 10:26 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
The fear people had drove them to extremes. In my area, there were a lot of sales of small pieces of land where people with no experience were trying to be self sufficient. They were trying to grow their own food, make their own power, they were learning about wild medicines and folk remedies because they were convinced that the economy was collapsing, and they were worried about the security and safety of their families.

Some of the business' I deal with sell survival foods, heritage seeds, composting toilets, supplies for home canning and preservation of foods, solar power systems, windmills, bio diesel, they were doing great.
Ranchers I know that raised heritage breeds of livestock and horses, or sold horsedrawn equipment and tools, they saw more sales than they had ever gotten.

Even the blacksmiths I know that were mostly making art, suddenly had a demand for tools and weapons.

The Obama years were a time of fear for a lot of people. Because I deal with small businesses, I could see that the regular types of business, stores, retail, hardware, automotive etc., were barely hanging on. The folks that sold "fringe" supplies were going as hard as they could to take advantage of the situation.
An economy driven by fear isn't sustainable, and they knew it.

I've spoken to a couple of them since Trump's inauguration, and their sales have fallen dramatically.

I take that as a good personal sign. If people feel secure, they will go about their normal lives. My friends selling offbeat stuff may lose business, but the ones selling regular consumer items will come back, which to me is a good thing that impacts me positively on a personal level because when there is stability, real or perceived, by the populace, then business will move forward and I'll get more stable work.
Your story/experience, with the weapons and survival business, is somewhat exceptional, and interesting of course. I am always fascinated to follow these stories about people who think we've come to the "end of days," whether because of Biblical prophesy, Muslims, gays or Obama, but if this is the slice of our society from which we gauge what is going on around us, we're lost...

I was one of those people you describe, fearful -- concerned -- about me and my family as I too saw the economy WAS collapsing. It DID collapse, to near no return, but with all due respect (and thanks for your comments), that fear and all that happened then was NOT due to Obama except for those who simply don't understand that history or the cause.

I've been through enough back-and-forth with enough people to know that if you are far right conservative, essentially against all things Liberal/Obama, then you have a special version of this history and Obama that simply cannot be shaken. Perhaps same for all who have only the far left perspective, blind to anything centrist. And just like these survivalists going back in time, they too might be missing something, maybe more than just a little something...

Old 03-22-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
The president should not be given so much power, that he can make choices on his own that would directly affect me in a positive or negative way.

It's the lunatic left, who want to empower the Preezy to dictate their lives to them. It's one reason they are going nutz over Trump. The libs heaped so much power and authority onto the Executive branch and the sundry federal agencies, that they fear what Trump might do.
By "lunatic left," I'll assume you are referring to some small percent of people who are both liberal and lunatics, or maybe you are just enjoying yourself with more of that insulting rhetoric. Maybe you want to waste time with that sort of bullarky, but if not, if you are serious about the rest, let's just start with the premise that the great majority of Liberals like me are not lunatics...

Might be you can't tell the straw man argument you are presenting here, but I have certainly not suggested the POTUS should have any more power than that bestowed on him by our Constitution. My question makes no such suggestion. Right?

My question is simply to solicit thoughts from people who voted for Trump as to why, but to get answers a bit more specific, personal and distinct rather than the tired old generalities like "to make America great again."

Even that one, "to make America great again," works if supplemented with some sort of definition, specifics. Otherwise, what "great again" can mean anything...

Nor by my question am I wanting or suggesting the empowerment of the POTUS to go beyond the Constitution, but surely we all recognize that the POTUS is arguably the most powerful person on the planet, in all variety of ways, or at least among the most powerful, influential. Right?

I did not really have high expectations my question or this thread could derive much better exchange as compared to all the other waste-of-time threads, but what I have learned from the answers/comments in this thread is that most people don't really have a direct-connect understanding of why they voted for Trump. Again it seems confirmed here that Trump supporters have their general notions as to why they voted for Trump, but not much in the way of specifics, tangibles, that impact them personally.

This I don't think is unique of just Trump supporters, but most voters in general, and again, perhaps one of our problems as a country. No wonder, as well, that we can get so emotional and entrenched as to why we vote the way we do when it boils down to our hopes and dreams pitted against others rather than reality, pragmatism and reason...

Old 03-22-2017, 10:55 AM

590 posts, read 555,051 times
Trump has done a lot more good for America in his first 2 months in office than Obama did in his 8 disastrous years.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
You health care, your pay check, or your way of life should never be impacted by who was elected president, unfortunately, that's the way the lunatic left likes it.
Our health care, our pay check and our way of life is impacted by the POTUS whether we like it or not, whether we choose it or not. This is not a Liberal thing. This is a reality thing...

How/why? It seems you need an explanation, but really?

Health care: have you not been paying attention how our access to health care, the cost, the changes, "the rules" are all a function of what the POTUS directs and Congress legislates as the law of the land? Now mostly in the hand of conservatives not liberals? Hello?

Way of life: are you somehow under the impression that what Supreme Court Justices are selected by the POTUS, ultimately leading to decisions dictating whether Corporations "are people" when it comes to the ability to make campaign contributions, pro-choice v pro-life decisions, whether travel ban EOs will stand or not, etc..., you somehow think you or any American is immune from the impact of these decisions?

You seem to have the "lunatic" notion that simply because we must control our own lives and make due as best we can as individuals, taking responsibility for our own individual lot in life, that this somehow means we can do so free of influence, free of what is going on around us, free of all the laws and circumstances dictated by our system of government. This is not a case of either/or. How our government affects our lives and vice versa is of significant impact on all our lives, whether we recognize that impact such as it is or not. That is, of course, unless you are something like that guy who decided to live in the woods at age 20 somewhere in Maine, just recently found some 30+ years later, and even then..., caught up with the law!

Old 03-22-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno Dweller View Post
Trump has done a lot more good for America in his first 2 months in office than Obama did in his 8 disastrous years.
Thanks for dropping by, and for a comment the likes of which no one has read any more than a thousand times...

Old 03-22-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
"Oh please tell me which bathrooms I 'shall' or 'shall not' use"

"Oh please dictate the school lunch menu my kids will eat."

"Oh please, for the love of god, dictate what health care insurance I must purchase, and punish me if I stray."
/lunaticleft
Let me guess...

You are either a home-schooled single white heterosexual male who could really care less about much else and not wanting to think about much else beyond your survival kit, or...

Well..., that it?

Old 03-22-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
By "lunatic left," I'll assume you are referring to some small percent of people who are both liberal and lunatics, or maybe you are just enjoying yourself with more of that insulting rhetoric. Maybe you want to waste time with that sort of bullarky, but if not, if you are serious about the rest, let's just start with the premise that the great majority of Liberals like me are not lunatics...
Here's a test for you.

If you want to empower the executive branch to dictate to the American people what bathrooms and dictate the school lunch menu for our children in public school, then you fit that description.

If you don't think the president and the executive branch should have the power to dictate those things to our schools and our children, but you do fancy yourself as being on "the left," then you do not fit my description, as being a part of the 'lunatic left.'

Quote:
Might be you can't tell the straw man argument you are presenting here, but I have certainly not suggested the POTUS should have any more power than that bestowed on him by our Constitution. My question makes no such suggestion. Right?
That was no straw man example, president 0bama did want the power to dictate school shower and bathroom policies, and he thought he should dictate school lunch menus, and many people on the 'lunatic left' applauded and encouraged him.

Quote:
My question is simply to solicit thoughts from people who voted for Trump as to why, but to get answers a bit more specific, personal and distinct rather than the tired old generalities like "to make America great again."

Even that one, "to make America great again," works if supplemented with some sort of definition, specifics. Otherwise, what "great again" can mean anything...

{snip}
We should not be looking to Trump to do anything for us, that's my point.

You seem to be of the mind that a president is elected, because we expect him to do things for our personal benefit.

If Trump gets our federal government to finally enforce US immigration laws, and to follow the 2006 law passed by Congress to build and fund the fence, wall, or digital fence along our southern border, great. However, if Trump does get the Congress and the federal immigration and law enforcement departments to do these things, he is not specifically doing anything for me, he's simply enforcing the law and following our US Constitution.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Let me guess...

You are either a home-schooled single white heterosexual male who could really care less about much else and not wanting to think about much else beyond your survival kit, or...

Well..., that it?
We do have state governments, did you know that? Time and again, you seem to think the president should be deciding social behavior for the nation, and to dictate other matters in our daily lives, otherwise you would not write responses like that.

You seem to want a president who presides as a sort of elected dictator. I can't 'learn you' anything, if that is where your head is at; because it sure seems like that is where it is at.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:10 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,842 times
He allocated 100 million to fix the Flint water situation. Just by talking about illegal aliens the number of people coming here illegally has plummeted. He ended the Mexico City Policy. Africans love Trump for that. So should we. Looks like he is going to stop wasting money on climate change nonsense.

Ask me end of summer. He's on the right path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies