Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 05:58 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I have seen people selling their stamps for 50 cents on the dollar and then buying booze.
I was approached in a grocery store in a nice neighborhood, by a scrawny early 20 something crack-addicted looking couple. I was near the checkout and had a cart full of groceries. They wanted me to pay for the groceries with their EBT card and they wanted me to pay them half that amt in cash. I told them no. They didn't look like Reagan's version of welfare queen. I wonder if they are still alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 06:26 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The only women I see with 4 or 5 trailing kids are upper class whites.

I don't grocery shop during school holiday times due to having to dodge kids running amoke while the clueless parent blocks the aisle while she talks to a friend or shops.

Happened today at Costco. Had to go to pick up glasses. Spent time tripping over the same 2 idiots with 4 or 6 kids each, playing tag in the aisles?
I knew a girl who appeared as an upper class white to a stranger in a store. Nails done, hair done regularly, facials, nice clothes, actually a pretty white girl, she had kids to different daddy's. She hung out in bars and was on welfare. I wonder if she was getting child support from each baby daddy. That's the only thing I can figure but really, I didn't spend much time thinking about it other than her telling me she was getting EBT and subsidies. I didn't bother with her, not my kind of person, she was looking for another sugar daddy.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:14 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sex education is taught in nearly every school.
I can only go off of what my wife has told me about her work in Philadelphia, but there were times when she would check in with one of her ladies and only find the children. Sometimes they'd be left there all day to fend for themselves (not sure if they were working or getting high). School was not a priority for some.

A Texas legislator is currently trying to get age appropriate sex education implemented into the curriculum. Texas ranks 47th in teen pregnancy. As in, it's almost the absolute worst in terms of frequency of teen pregnancy.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:44 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Why does it have to be a woman, why not a guy?

This is within the last 5 years....or is the 21st not good enough?

Tennessee's deadbeat dads: The three men who have 81 children by 46 different women... and they're not paying child support to any of them | Daily Mail Online
Why are these men still out at large?

They're losers who'll never make enough money to pay child support. They need to be in jail, no parole so they cannot make any more children.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:56 AM

29,497 posts, read 14,656,154 times
See it almost daily on our local news. Maybe not quite 5 , but for instance this morning there was a 21 year old mother of three, that was pregnant with a 4th, forgot what the story was. If I can find the link I will post it.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:11 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,786,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
It's almost welfare weekend, which I dread! Got to get my shopping done. With the influx of illegal aliens, the poverty rate in my city is 25%! I see them with 4, 5 or more kids, some of the WIC coupon also along with their EBT. They can shop and then go home to their Section 8 government housing, one anchor gets the whole family in!

We have citizens doing the same thing, although many of them do go ahead and get free job training, this is a good thing as many are interested in jobs like nursing assistants for senior care a growing need.

And, yes, they go through the food stamps quickly, and by the 15th of the month, there are lines at all the charity warehouses, for cash, many just take what isn't theirs especially if they need drug money.

Now, these are the people that don't work, the mother just has the "father" stop by, and he doesn't live there. The favorites are frozen pizza, those sugary frozen colored treats, soda, chips, sweetened cereal and deli - they can buy a cold pre-made sandwich or a cold fried, baked or roasted chicken - just not a hot one - says on the label which they can purchase.

The working poor are different when they shop. I have watched many of them. They are buying canned vegetables, rice, dry beans, oatmeal and ground beef, not much meat at all. They are shopping for the month and they will make it without charity and that is a good thing because those that have a job usually can't get to the charitable agencies.

I have a friend that worked at a small market. She said a man came in with a WIC coupon and wanted to get Kraft sandwich cheese, she told him he would have to get the store brand per the coupon, he threw it at her (older woman) and said "So, we can't have the good stuff like you eat." She wasn't eating the good stuff, she was working full-time and then part-time in the evening to pay off hospital bills that her husband had incurred before he passed away.

Got to get people off their butts and out of the baby business, removing illegal aliens will be a blessing in this area!
Your making a non-existent distinction between people on welfare and the working poor. These days, almost everyone who receives food stamps is employed. The reason the working poor can't afford to buy their own groceries is because corporate executives take million dollar bonuses while they simultaneously screw working families with 8/hr jobs. Remember, Walmart and McDonald's are the true welfare queens.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:49 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,367,774 times
the Mama June types are the real welfare queens

Old 03-22-2017, 12:22 PM

36,537 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I don't go where they hang out.
You dont go to the grocery store?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
My wife was a caseworker for impoverished, mostly black, women for a number of years. Some of them didn't understand how they kept getting pregnant. Yes, it's true, they didn't understand the birds and the bees.

I would garner it would not take long to figure out that any benefit you receive for any child you have, does not exceed the financial and time burden that comes with a child. That only gets worse with more children.

I believe we as a society need to decide how important it is to limit the spread of poverty. I'd be willing to pay higher taxes if sex education, and contraception were easier to access.
How in the world can they go to a OBGYN and not be told how this happens? That is incredible.
Why cant sex ed be easy to access. It can be taught in school without increased taxes. Its all over the internet. It honestly hard for me to believe so many get pregnant because they dont understand human reproduction at lest to the extent that if you stick this in there.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Has anyone actually seen more than one family of 5+ kids, NOT on YouTube, and they were on welfare? I haven't seen any, and that seems to be a stereotype perpetuated by Reagan in the 80s that hasn't died down. If you disagree, then let us know

Adding to that, I've never seen anyone with EBT buy lobster tail or king crab on food stamps. Anyone else also seen that? Allegedly
Cant say I have. If I notice someone using SNAP I have no idea how many kids they have tho.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:19 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,865,359 times
It is very common for women to have 4 kids it seems in tow in California, Arizona and Nevada.

I can count a dozen or more times I have seen 5 kids or in tow with their parents in poor welfare sections of Arizona and California.

West Phoenix, North Las Vegas, Southern California in general still have lots of that welfare queen demographic with 5 or more kids. Many of them I think are a guy and women who are a couple who had families before they got together.

It is uncommon in other parts of the country anymore. I have noticed that the percentage under 18 in cerain cities in the Midwest like Detroit, St. Louis, Kansas City, Cincinnati isn't all that high.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:26 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
I have never known many single women who are on welfare who have 5 or more kids.

Only one that I know is actually my ex-stepmother and she was last on welfare in the late 80s.

I've worked in public housing with both seniors and families and so I have known people who get "welfare" cash assistance payments, which are usually only about $200-$500 a month. But most of those had 4 or less children.

FWIW I have known quite a few white families - husband/wife families who have more than 8 kids who get disability, housing assistance, foodstamps, and Medicaid and their kids have a variety of health problems and they have "high risk pregnancies."

I've always known white families like this, even back in the 80s when I knew black single mothers on welfare. None of those black women are still on welfare and they all work.

Today, IMO SSDI is the new "welfare" and lots of people have it and can't get booted off.

I personally don't know any black person who has more than 3 kids in my generation. I am in my late 30s and black and have a predominantly black family and have mostly lived in a predominantly black neighborhood my entire adulthood.

I really am trying to think of someone who is my age who has more than 3 kids......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies