Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 11:59 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,974,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
That is taxable income. A pastors income is taxed.
Yes, I know. I am saying, pastors don't get away with fraud just like others are insisting just because.

Most of the talk in this thread seems to hint that churches are just scams anyways because God doesn't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 12:00 AM

56,989 posts, read 35,116,741 times
Quote:
Because using the extreme rare example to make your point is always the way to a good argument
Rare example my ass. The prosperity gospel is running rampant...especially in the black community, and that's the only group i care about. White folks can afford to get ripped off and if they can't, that's none of my concern anyway.

When the estimates of tithing has run up to 420 billion dollars since 1980 in the black community alone, that's a damn problem. THAT'S extreme...not my example.

Folks wanna talk about how African Americans need to leave the Democratic Party. What they NEED to leave is the Christian church.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:03 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,064,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Rare example my ass. The prosperity gospel is running rampant...especially in the black community, and that's the only group i care about. White folks can afford to get ripped off and if they can't, that's none of my concern anyway.

When the estimates of tithing has run up to 420 billion dollars since 1980 in the black community alone, that's a damn problem. THAT'S extreme...not my example.

Folks wanna talk about how African Americans need to leave the Democratic Party. What they NEED to leave is the Christian church.
How many own 65 million dollar jets? Be as precise as you can .

Old 03-21-2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Rare example my ass. The prosperity gospel is running rampant...especially in the black community, and that's all i care about.

All you care about is the black community? Are you a black nationalist? The Church was pivotal during the Civil Rights struggle. It was a source of strength in the black community through the worst of oppression. Why would they dump it? Because of some hucksters like Creflo Dollar?

The tithes proly go back to the community in many forms that help the black community. Churches do a lot of good stuff in the lowest income areas.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:04 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,745,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I am not talking about any church that preaches against homosexuality. We have freedom of religion in this country and people should have the right to believe that its a sin. What I am talking about are the churches that are legitimate hate groups. Churches like Westboro or Steven Anderson's church in Arizona. I am thinking of churches like Kevin Swanson's church in Colorado. The kind of churches that call for homosexuals to be executed. The kind that run conversion therapy camps that abuse children. These churches are very dangerous and they are getting by tax free. At what point does a church become a malignant cult and is no longer a protected religion? I think this is a discussion that needs to be had.

I am not for ending tax exempt status for all religion but I think hate groups should lose tax exempt status. I would also apply this to the large megachurches where the pastor lives in a mansion and drives a Mercedes. Those churches should be taxed.

Thoughts?
no. you even noted that we have freedom of religion in this country, and these people have their beliefs just like any other church.

i dont like these churches any more than you do, in fact i think they need to go away. but to have the government start telling churches what they can and cannot believe is setting a very bad precedent. because if that happens, then what is to stop the government from telling churches what to believe in other areas?

Old 03-21-2017, 12:13 AM

Quote:
How many own 65 million dollar jets? Be as precise as you can .
Maybe only one....i don't know. Probably a lot more than one. But how many have Bentleys, Mansions, helicopters, Rolls Royces, etc...it ain't about who has a jet. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Again, i have the approximate tithing numbers. My people are getting ripped off, and i resent it and i want the people that nakedly perpetrate this crap to have their tax exempt status revoked. Now.

This crap right here infuriates me...and he's far from an isolated case:

Old 03-21-2017, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Maybe only one....i don't know. Probably a lot more than one. But how many have Bentleys, Mansions, helicopters, Rolls Royces, etc...it ain't about who has a jet. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Again, i have the approximate tithing numbers. My people are getting ripped off, and i resent it and i want the people that nakedly perpetrate this crap to have their tax exempt status revoked. Now.

This crap right here infuriates me...and he's far from an isolated case:

What about Rev. Al Sharpton and Rev. Jesse Jackson? And Jeremiah Wright?

Old 03-21-2017, 12:18 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,064,775 times
Quote:
Maybe only one....i don't know. Probably a lot more than one. But how many have Bentleys, Mansions, helicopters, Rolls Royces, etc...it ain't about who has a jet.
Then don't argue it.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
All you care about is the black community? Are you a black nationalist? The Church was pivotal during the Civil Rights struggle. It was a source of strength in the black community through the worst of oppression. Why would they dump it? Because of some hucksters like Creflo Dollar?

The tithes proly go back to the community in many forms that help the black community. Churches do a lot of good stuff in the lowest income areas.

Nonsense. The Church was pivotal in the Civil Rights Movement NOT because of dogma, but because it was the only place in the South where black people could legally congregate without having the meetings being busted up by white authorities. Black folks had nothing else but the church. If we had any other legitimate institutions, we wouldn't have had to rely so much on the church as an organizing force.

Why should they dump it? Because it's no longer any good nor is it particularly useful for anything but collecting millions of dollars from people who can hardly afford to give it. That's why. And yeah...because of "some hucksters like Creflo Dollar." And Creflo Dollar is one of a bazillion religious hucksters in the black community. Time for black folks to throw off that superstition that was taught them to keep them docile through slavery. It would be fine if it were cheaper, but this particular superstition is too damn expensive and unaffordable.

And the tithes "proly" go back to the community in many forms that help the black community?

I'm just gonna pay that silly comment no mind. Hell, you don't even believe that tripe.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Then don't argue it.
I'll argue what the hell i feel like arguing. In fact, i'm gonna double down on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies