Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 12:47 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I'm curious if the responders here bothered to read up on the new rule? It's been put into effect only for persons traveling on foreign carriers, and is due to intelligence agencies' belief that terrorist networks are creating explosives out of laptops. If you are traveling on an American carrier it doesn't apply. I assume that's because American carriers don't fly to America nonstop on those routes. Great Britain has also put these new conditions into rule.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile....cabin.amp.html

There might be a very valid reason for this drastic measure. I'd rather lose the use of my laptop then throw caution to the wind and just hope for the best. As someone who flies transoceanic routes on occasion I can certainly understand the extreme inconvenience of this, but to go off on a half-cocked conspiracy rant as if a civilian knows more than joint intelligence commissions is pretty lame.
Again once the bomb is on the plane they could just dial into it with their cell phone? How does this stop anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 12:51 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Again once the bomb is on the plane they could just dial into it with their cell phone? How does this stop anything?
I can't answer that. I'm neither a member of the intelligence committee nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

I can think of several work-arounds myself, but assume that the people who get paid to do this stuff already have, too. It's certainly a curiousity - one that I'll wait for more info on before declaring a conspiracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies