Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 07:15 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are 29 and 33 and we've just discovered in the past couple of years how awesome Sears is.

Their loyalty/rewards program is marvellous, the quality of their tools is good, their customer service is great and we've also discovered that their quality of kids clothes and underwear is superior to big box stores for around the same price. We almost always end up buying *something* when we walk into Sears, which is about every other week.

With that all said, as a self confessed dork and retro retail junkie, I've got a laundry list a mile long of all of the things I believe Sears should be doing to improve.

I wish it hadn't taken my husband and I so long to 'discover it'. We also love that they give military and veterans discount.

KMart on the other hand, can sadly go. In the few occasions I've been there, I've found their stores to be dirty, cluttered, confusing, and the lines at checkout longer and slower than other big box stores.

I honestly think Sears has a better chance of survival if they ditch KMart along with make at least a dozen changes (which I will gladly list if anyone is curious in my humble opinion).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 07:19 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
My husband and I are 29 and 33 and we've just discovered in the past couple of years how awesome Sears is.

Their loyalty/rewards program is marvellous, the quality of their tools is good, their customer service is great and we've also discovered that their quality of kids clothes and underwear is superior to big box stores for around the same price. We almost always end up buying *something* when we walk into Sears, which is about every other week.

With that all said, as a self confessed dork and retro retail junkie, I've got a laundry list a mile long of all of the things I believe Sears should be doing to improve.

I wish it hadn't taken my husband and I so long to 'discover it'. We also love that they give military and veterans discount.

KMart on the other hand, can sadly go. In the few occasions I've been there, I've found their stores to be dirty, cluttered, confusing, and the lines at checkout longer and slower than other big box stores.

I honestly think Sears has a better chance of survival if they ditch KMart along with make at least a dozen changes (which I will gladly list if anyone is curious in my humble opinion).
Sears has no chance of survival.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:58 AM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
IMO JCP & Sears will no doubt both be gone inside 18 months.

Old 03-25-2017, 02:05 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,821,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Sears was doomed the moment Eddie Lampert sank his claws into Kmart and merged with Sears.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:20 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Sears was doomed the moment Eddie Lampert sank his claws into Kmart and merged with Sears.
Long before then, both were doomed.

To last in retail one must greatly minimize distribution costs as WM has, or have unique product offerings of their own that the public likes decade after decade after decade. Sears and KMart have neither thing accomplished.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:16 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Sears warranties could be dissolved in bankruptcy - Business Insider

Old 05-12-2017, 02:03 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
bizarre comment from crazy eddie:

Quote:
"We don't need more customers. We have all the customers we could possibly want," Lampert said. "As soon as we start making money, people are gonna say, 'How did I miss this?'"

"I give you my assurance I am not in denial," Lampert continued.
http://www.thestreet.com/story/14131...the-media.html
it's understandable that he's sick of hearing all the media gloating about sears being at death's doorstep, salivating for it to fail, but nutty statements like this are hardly helpful.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:33 PM

6,749 posts, read 3,365,850 times
I'm sad to see it but as others have said, Sears has been swirling in the bowl for a long time. Its demise is inevitable and it's just a matter of when.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:45 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Sears is just now realizing this?!

Old 05-12-2017, 02:46 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
bizarre comment from crazy eddie:

it's understandable that he's sick of hearing all the media gloating about sears being at death's doorstep, salivating for it to fail, but nutty statements like this are hardly helpful.
Well, he has to keep it going until July. See, Sears sold off a lot of its attractive real estate to other entities back in July 2015, and the stores are now renting that space. The real estate is valuable, the company Sears not so much. Legally separating the two would mean that the property owners can keep their real estate when Sears goes bankrupt. However, there's a 2-year look-back period to avoid skullduggery of just this sort. If Sears goes bankrupt before July 2017, the property owners are on the hook, just as they would be if the property was still owned by Sears.

Oh, by the way - guess who chairs the company holding the real estate? Rhymes with "Schlampert".

TL;DR: Lampert has a vested interest in saying anything needed to keep the lights on for another few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies