Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 02:08 PM

29,450 posts, read 16,363,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Neither side is going to address the cost issue, but I will say having some health issues myself that the health-care is much better in most Republican states then Democratic ones.

The Democrats just pander to their base with emotional commercials. Emotion doesn't pay the bills though.

The health-care system is falling apart in blue states because the hospitals are unionized with $85 an hour nurses in a certain West Coast state, they thought the ACA would last forever so they went on huge construction sprees and they hired lots and lots of administration.

Hospital Adjusted Expenses per Inpatient Day | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

The Democrats won't say why for example that a day in the hospital is $3,300 in California and $1,200 in Republican South Dakota.

I think the exchanges were a good especially if the federal government allocates funds to run their own exchanges.

I don't see why the Democrats are against traditional Medicaid match rates of 50% to 75% though depending on the state as opposed to 95% federal match.

They need to start addressing all the massive amounts of waste, huge compensation packages $85+ in certain cities for nurses, unhealthy lifestyles of many Americans and infections in filthy urban hospitals that drive up healthcare costs.
Why are you comparing medical expenses in California to medical expenses in South Dakota ????

And if your logic was True, Idaho and Utah would not be 8th and 9th on Kaisers list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 02:12 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,891,683 times
Pull government out ENTIRELY!

The free market will reduce costs, this is a PROVEN FACT!

Those who want government involvement are those who are looking for handouts, both businesses and individuals alike.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:14 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,762,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
In Ohio you have just two choices Molina or US Health our premium has doubled since last year and they are getting rich at the expense of the taxpayer!
Crappy plan but its better than having to pay the fine some choice.I should be able to go 15 minutes up the road to a insurance company purchase a plan through them or be able to go across the river to Kentucky or even have a government Health care savings account if they were really serious about it but the DemoncRats didn't allow the Repub's in the debate and put a poorly conceived law into effect without even reading it!
Just wanted to note that I live in Ohio and am aware of ACA plans in the state.

The two you mentioned are not the only options. Below are the providers. Please note it depends on which part of the state you live in regarding the network available:

Ohio health insurance marketplace 2017

Quote:
AultCare: 24.09 percent increase
Buckeye Community Health Plan: 0.79 percent decrease and 1.14 percent decrease, depending on whether plan includes vision.
CareSource: 16.91 percent increase (HMO Enhanced) and 17.64 percent increase (HMO Basic). CareSource reported that they enrolled 71,586 people in individual market plans in Ohio during the 2017 open enrollment period; that’s down about 2 percent from their 2016 total.
Community Insurance Company (Anthem BCBS): 18.2 percent increase (HMO) and 15.5 percent increase (PPO)
Humana: 45.11 percent increase (Humana has left the individual market in several states for 2017, but is continuing to offer coverage in Ohio)
Medical Health Insuring Corp. of Ohio (Medical Mutual): 17.13 percent decrease (but they only have 128 members in 2016; this is expected to increase in 2017 with their purchase of HealthSpan’s business)
Molina: 2.36 percent increase (on the heels of a rate decrease for 2016)
Paramount: 9.88 percent increase
Premier Health Plan: 39.82 percent increase
Summa: 5.33 percent increase

Old 03-22-2017, 02:16 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,837,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
getting costs under control has little to do with ACA or Trumpcare. those costs can be fixed either way. It is a massive flopping red herring thrown out to distract.

Insurance coverage should be a right. Costs can be controlled by allowing Obamacare, or Trumpcare to deal with drug companies. By reducing silly testing. By limiting intervention at end of life. and of course Tort.

But all of that can be done while leaving OBamacare in place!

So lets not get distracted by our stupid cost basis.

Instead let's focus on ensuring 100% of the population has some form of coverage regardless of ability to pay. Just like every single other developed nation on the face of this planet.

Republicans are the only people telling thier supporter that full public healthcare is too costly. Amazingly even countries with tiny pops, and low standards of living can provide Healthcare SECURITY with relative ease.

Maybe we could shift a couple of hundred billion from military security to healthcare security.

I think the advert i posted shows exactly what we can expect to see a lot more of under Trumpcare.
Wait till you get the canned response of "Our demographics are different" as if the racial composition would make any difference

Old 03-22-2017, 02:23 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,545,371 times
Quote:
Neither side is going to address the cost issue, but I will say having some health issues myself that the health-care is much better in most Republican states then Democratic ones.
Everything costs more in blue states, because living there is much more desirable. All we need to do is rectify the imbalance of voter representation that favors the redneck states and the country would be run by refined, educated and fully-civilized people, instead of the way things are now.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:23 PM

18,986 posts, read 9,011,729 times
This ad will resonate with everyone who was denied coverage, or were priced out of the market, or who were dropped when they made a claim, or have benefited from Medicaid expansion. And it will also resonate with all the friends and families of these millions of people, who watched and worried about them, pre-ACA.

We know the Republicans don't care about these millions of Americans, but they sure do care about their cushy government jobs with their wonderful government benefits, and from the small taste of the town halls they faced a few months back, they have to realize their seats are in jeopardy if they vote for this monstrosity of a bill.

I hope this ad gets a lot of airplay.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:28 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,738,544 times
Quote:

Hospital Adjusted Expenses per Inpatient Day | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

The Democrats won't say why for example that a day in the hospital is $3,300 in California and $1,200 in Republican South Dakota.
Read the report. The costs are the average of all inpatient and out-patient care, per patient, per day. It is not what a night in a hospital bed will cost you. If the hospital is a surgery center its average will be much higher than just an acute care facility (i.e., no surgery). If the hospital has an MRI machine and is the only place around with one, its average is going to go up. If the hospital is doing open heart surgery, its average will go way up. The devil is in the details - it does not necessarily mean your health care costs are more or less in some state because of the report.

If you really want to compare costs between California and South Dakota, compare the cost of say, a knee replacement, in each state.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:34 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,874,139 times
ex AZ Gov. Jan Brewer, an avowed tRump supporter and a callous governor, has come out strongly against the bill, saying it hurts the most vulnerable of our society. Jan Brewer!! It must be one nasty bill for her to say that.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:48 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,605,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Pull government out ENTIRELY!

The free market will reduce costs, this is a PROVEN FACT!

Those who want government involvement are those who are looking for handouts, both businesses and individuals alike.
no it is not and you have no examples to backup your claim.

there are a few posters here who keep saying "free market" and not one has ever produced a single country that has a functioning free market system

You are wrong, likely know it but just can't help from saying it because you so badly wish it were true.

so please one example of a free market healthcare system anywhere........

Old 03-22-2017, 03:06 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,982,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Just wanted to note that I live in Ohio and am aware of ACA plans in the state.

The two you mentioned are not the only options. Below are the providers. Please note it depends on which part of the state you live in regarding the network available:

Ohio health insurance marketplace 2017
The two plans I mentioned are the only ones available for us in southern Ohio not really much of a choice but like I said better than paying the fine.Just glad my kids are raised and fending for themselves
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies