Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 03:32 PM

7,644 posts, read 8,716,940 times

Advertisements

When you go to a new doctor, the receptionist has you fill out a form, which includes your insurance plan. The doctor will read the form before meeting you. He'll have an idea whether he "likes" this new patient or not depending on whether he likes your insurance plan or not.

No matter what system we adopt, it should be such that the doctors will not, or will not be able to, discriminate patients according to what plan they have.

The same applies to dental insurance.

I don't know how this can be done, but it's a general principle I have in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 03:38 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,116,700 times
By a similar token, though, we need to work on insurance more. A lot more. A whole lot more. When I was pregnant, there was a test I could take. Theoretically, due to my age, it should have been covered with no problems. However, I called insurance and they couldn't even tell me whether it would be approved or not. If I had to pay out of pocket, it would be something like 200-500. I opted not to do it in the end because they couldn't tell me and I didn't want to be surprised with a bill when I thought I was going to be covered.

Why would doctors and hospitals want to mess with stuff like that if they are not even sure about payment? What if an insurance company is hard to deal with and always denying? How much do they have to suck it up when these things do cost money?

Or really, change the whole insurance game. One of the big objections I had to the ACA (and the now tabled AHCA bill) is that they conflate health insurance with health care. Not the same at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies