Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2017, 08:07 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times

Advertisements

I know I know - it is the New Yorker....but some good points about the hazards of a cafeteria plan.
Republicans May Have Saved Trumpcare by Making It Crueler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 08:16 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post

Refer back to the tax charts in my previous examples. This is exactly why people can't have a rational conversation on this topic?
You're not getting it. A national sales tax of 10 percent would more than cover health care for everyone. Wealthier people buy more goods and more expensive goods and would pay more proportionately. No one raises your taxes taken out of your paycheck, your property taxes or any other taxes you currently pay. You're employer would save money as well as they would not have to contribute to their employees medical insurance. I'm listening. What is irrational about this? Everyone pays an affordable sales tax and everyone is covered. No more insurance companies gouging people, no more outrageous deductibles.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:18 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
From my understanding, due to the ACA, if a person wants to buy insurance but missed the open enrollment period, that person can't even get insurance unless there is a major life change event.

That's pretty stupid if you ask me.
It's worked that way since long before the ACA existed.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:22 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
Uh huh. Is there a point to your statement? My claim is people in high COL area (upper middle class as you state) would pay substantially more. I don't recall singling out a specific political party.
And they are good with that if they support democrats, which many of them do, as dems want more subsidized programs and higher taxes for the wealthy.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:40 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Yes and then the doctor wants you to do .... and you have to decide if it is really necessary or leave it as premiums are totaling $12,000 and with a $6000 deductible that is a lot of money to pay out of pocket.

And we couldn't keep our plan as according to Blue Cross our plan was not in compliance with Obamacare so they had to move us to a way higher plan or no insurance.

We already changed doctors not because our doctor didn't take our plan but just for the results of the annual the doctor wants you to come back in person and charge another bill.

Saving money as Obama promised cost us to double or actually triple our premiums and also double our deductible.

What a bunch of lies and I'm all for repeal and replace or let the entire Obamacare implode.

Every time one of the kids was off our plan due to getting a job and were thinking, oh wow now we're getting some financial relieve...that is just a two month relieve as the insurance company all of a sudden came with an increase which made the cut in premium evaporate.

But the high deductible stayed and was never cut when we had our kids no longer on our plan. Actually getting a higher premium is was made out insurance still "affordable" so sooner than later we probably have $10k deductible.
It would be nice is somebody came up with a plan that would waive the fee for Americans to get your regular checkups and followups.

Last edited by zortation; 03-23-2017 at 09:01 AM..

Old 03-23-2017, 09:17 AM

882 posts, read 688,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
You're not getting it. A national sales tax of 10 percent would more than cover health care for everyone. Wealthier people buy more goods and more expensive goods and would pay more proportionately. No one raises your taxes taken out of your paycheck, your property taxes or any other taxes you currently pay. You're employer would save money as well as they would not have to contribute to their employees medical insurance. I'm listening. What is irrational about this? Everyone pays an affordable sales tax and everyone is covered. No more insurance companies gouging people, no more outrageous deductibles.
First off, you're not talking about anything that is in place with the countries I mentioned. Secondly, the math skills are lacking again. And frankly this is getting boring. You're obviously so caught up in your idea that you refuse to recognize that 90% of Americans are covered by employer or government health plans. My original example holds true with your 10% sales tax idea also. Most people in my wife's corporation are paying about $5k for all medical/vision/dental (I doubt that they're much different than most of the corporations in our area). And most families are in the mid $150k range (feel free to come to a high COL area and try to survive on less). It doesn't take a rocket scientist to do the math. Once again, the Middle Class of these areas get screwed. What part of this don't you understand? Not to mention, I'm not buying that their won't be some kind of credit put in place that allows lowere income groups to get out of paying (why would I not think that since it happens every time).

I'm done with this now as it appears I'm wasting my time with what is a very simple math problem for those willing to look at this objectively.

Last edited by Independentthinking; 03-23-2017 at 09:29 AM..

Old 03-23-2017, 09:52 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,835 times
Health Insurance might just be the biggest and most difficult domestic problem to solve. Obamacare has been a wreck and frankly, I'm not optimistic that any new plan coming out of DC will be any better. I'm self-employed and pay $1,300 per month for health insurance for my family...this same plan was $1,050 last year and $850 the year before that. And I'm fully aware than my increases aren't as bad as many have seen. I don't know what the answer is, but I don't expect DC to solve the problem...they rarely if ever do on anything. This is one disaster that may not be solved in my lifetime (I'm in my 40s).

Old 03-23-2017, 09:55 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Terrible idea. Yeah, let's just take another 10% from everyone. I'm sure that will help the average American.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:06 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Same organization said over half are covered by employer sponsored plans in 2016.

2016 Health Benefits Survey

From the link:

Quote:
Employer-sponsored insurance covers over half of the non-elderly population; approximately 150 million nonelderly people in total.1 To provide current information about employer-sponsored health benefits, the Kaiser Family Foundation (Kaiser) and the Health Research & Educational Trust (HRET) conduct an annual survey of private and nonfederal public employers with three or more workers. This is the eighteenth Kaiser/HRET survey and reflects employer-sponsored health benefits in 2016.
Also, additional information on your link (below the graphic) shows that the 2015 figures are not a final, definitive number and that some information didn't add up or was excluded as "unknown."

Will also note that most Americans in general are covered by either employer sponosored insurance or government based healthcare plans like Medicare, Medicaid, or TriCare.

So all the people complaining about Obamacare plans, really only make up about 10% of the population. While I would like to see insurance be "more affordable" fact of the matter is that Obamacare didn't turn out to be affordable because the mandate was not allowed to go into place in all states. Mandating all Americans have converage in a specific state would automatically decrease the risk faced by insurance companies and rates would have been lower. I work in an industry that deals with health insurance providers and have some experience with their reports (also called "experiences" lol). The greater the pool of insureds, the less the insurance cost are.

I would bet that the main people complaining about their rates also live in states that didn't accept the Medicaid expansion and additional federal funding. Just from looking at the locations of the posters, most of them actually are in southern states that didn't accept the above and so their rates are higher as a result of that with ACA.

I personally would rather have a universal option. It would remove the burden of paying for health insurance from employers. Many of you are unaware of the fact that employers pay 2-3 times more for their employees premiums than the actual employee pays in most circumstances. For organiztions I've worked with (mid-large firms) they spend $500k-$10 million a year on health insurance premiums for their employees. Going a universal option would give companies more opportunity to pay their workers more in real money.

I'd also rather have a sales tax for health insurance. Removing the requirement of paying for premiums along with forcing those on Medicaid, Medicare, and Tricare to contribute for their whole lives for care, would be cheaper in the long run IMO, especially for people like me who are cheap. I'd say a national sales (excluding food) tax of 2% and people still have to pay a small co-pay for seeing the doctor or getting Rxs.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:02 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
My sister was prescribed Lyrica by her doctor. Her insurance doesn't want to pay for it. However she pays $2200 a month for her and her husband's health insurance. You read that right, it's not a typo $2200 a month and they won't pay for her medicine.

They are both early 60's, he's in perfect health, she has some back issues but they haven't had any surgeries or anything. Now tell me how has the Affordable Care Act helped the middle and upper middle class people? Seems they are paying more for insurance to cover those without.

Oh forgot to add: she pays $5K deductible!

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 04-09-2017 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: added deductible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies