Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 02:27 PM

13,233 posts, read 9,854,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearded1 View Post
I see something positive in this story. The conservative small-town Hoosiers are coming to this man's defense. They value friends and neighbors, regardless of color, if they are people of good will. I wish Steve Bannon felt the same. No, you can't build a civilization with other people's babies, but the beauty of America is there is no such thing as others. America works for everyone who is willing to work for it. This man employees 20 people and has a raised a decent family. He should be allowed to stay.
This happened in another small town in Trump country, where the community rallied around a person that owned a business, employed people, had an American family, and was an all around good dude. They didn't think Trump meant him, either.

I'll see if I can dig up the story.

Yeah it's always those other people that are meant to go, not the ones you know and love.

I said in a thread a while ago that when American citizens' spouses start getting thrown out, the bloom will be off the rose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 02:28 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,064,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I have a problem with this, in that ICE has told him just to check in -- all those years and they never said he was doing anything wrong and then he shows up one day and BAM - he's in jail.

And you are telling me -- with all the people that are here illegally -- this is the guy they are going to send home. Yeah -- that makes sens because he is a big threat to our safety and he is a burden on our society....(dripping with sarcasm)
Breaking the law is breaking the law no matter how prettied up one is made to look and he is a burden on society.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why? He is according to the law a criminal. Perhaps he should have considered doing things legally in the first place. I also don't think his family is that decent since they condone his being here illegally.
He should be allowed to apply to come back to the USA legally AFTER he is deported and if he wants to be with his family he can move them to Mexico. I wonder how well it would go if his family went to Mexico
the same way he came to the USA, illegally.
An immigration violation is a civil offense, not criminal.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Who was a victim of his 'crime'? He started a family and a business and is a productive member of society.

More productive than those natural citizens whose kids have to call the cops because their heroin/opioid addicted parents are passed out in the front seat.

Geez--you authoritarians need to get a grip.
Okay, close all the jails, unlock all the doors, delete all the laws on the books.
The victim is anyone who applied and waited to legally come to the USA like my Grandmother when she came from Germany.
Illegal entry is a slap in the face to everyone who follows proper procedure and waits to come legally.
Anyone else is a *criminal who is breaking the law*. I'm not sure why this is such a tough concept to
grasp and understand. No matter how small you feel the crime, it is still a crime.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
An immigration violation is a civil offense, not criminal.
Yup, that is why they are putting all of these people in jail, they are not criminals who have broken the law. Okay, whatever you believe is your truth.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:33 PM

18,423 posts, read 15,160,725 times
You need to have the same rules for everyone. When you start making exceptions for this guy "because he is a hard worker", or that woman "because she has a family" or whatever, THAT is when laws start to break down. If you are here illegally, you get deported. Period. The same rules for everyone.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:34 PM

39,023 posts, read 27,413,633 times
well,

It was during one of those check ins last month that ICE took Beristain into custody because of an incident in 2000. Roberto and his wife, Helen, were visiting Niagara Falls that year and accidentally crossed into Canada. Officers there detained Roberto when they realized he was in the U.S. illegally. Helen says a lawyer helped get Roberto out on bail, but he was told he had to voluntarily leave the country within a month.

Roberto decided not to self deport because Helen was pregnant at the time. An ICE spokesperson says when Roberto failed to deport himself, his voluntary order revered to a final order of removal, meaning ICE could detain him. They didn’t act on that order for more than a decade.

I can't see why Trump is to blame here. Read the Pink bold, He stayed in this country for more than a decade after he was told to self deport. ICE didn't act on that order because ICE was not doing their job.
He really cannot blame the system for enforcing the law.

All these said, he shouldn't be Permanently BANNED. Seems pretty harsh.

Maybe illegals with Felony criminal records should be permanently banned, civil offense should be okay?

Old 03-23-2017, 02:36 PM

77,015 posts, read 47,410,884 times
Quote:
People it's hard to feel sorry for: Trump voter's husband is deported.
She got what she voted for. Likewise, many low income families vote for people like Trump, and then they blame the government for getting the shaft.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:37 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,187,137 times
Quote:
Okay, close all the jails, unlock all the doors, delete all the laws on the books.
The victim is anyone who applied and waited to legally come to the USA like my Grandmother when she came from Germany.
Illegal entry is a slap in the face to everyone who follows proper procedure and waits to come legally.
Anyone else is a *criminal who is breaking the law*. I'm not sure why this is such a tough concept to
grasp and understand. No matter how small you feel the crime, it is still a crime.
And this is why our jails are over-filled, crowded and broke. Because they are full of people who committed a victimless crime, or had some weed in their pocket.

Like I said, you authoritarians who see the world in black and white really need to get a grip. Maybe we should keep a few of the 'good' ones to help pay for those jails with their taxes.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Yup, that is why they are putting all of these people in jail, they are not criminals who have broken the law. Okay, whatever you believe is your truth.
Okay, let me rephrase that - unlawful presence in the US is not a criminal offense.

But mere unlawful presence in the country is not a crime. It is a violation of federal immigration law to remain in the country without legal authorization, but this violation is punishable by civil penalties, not criminal. Chief among these civil penalties is deportation or removal, where an unlawful resident may be detained and removed from the country. Unlawful presence can also have negative consequences for a resident who may seek to gain re-entry into the United States, or permanent residency.

Both improper entry and unlawful presence should be avoided by any immigrant to the United States, but an illegal alien cannot be criminally charged or incarcerated simply for being undocumented.

- See more at: Is Illegal Immigration a Crime? Improper Entry v. Unlawful Presence - FindLaw Blotter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies