Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 12:40 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
On average, the IQ gap between different ethnic groups in America is this:

European (Ashkenazi) Jews 115
East Asians 105
Whites 100
Hispanics 89
Blacks 85

The differences show up on all standardized tests and on a number of other measures like income. IQ differences are more predictive of group outcome than most other factors. We can't have an honest discussion about racial disparities in income if we ignore the IQ differences.

https://www1.udel.edu/educ/gottfreds...sen30years.pdf

http://www.intelligence.martinsewell...redson1997.pdf
So let's pretend this is true and relevant, and we know that our country is getting more and more non-white, so feasibility the average IQ goes down, does that mean we should just right off 50% of the population because their IQ is too low?

Old 03-26-2017, 12:57 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So let's pretend this is true and relevant, and we know that our country is getting more and more non-white, so feasibility the average IQ goes down, does that mean we should just right off 50% of the population because their IQ is too low?
It means America must somehow muddle through and move forward with a lower average IQ. Nonsensically blaming whitey for all the various "gaps" won't make this any easier.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:16 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
If your family owned a home, passed it on to you or used the equity to help you with a down payment - that's generational wealth. If your family home appreciated in value while similar homes in black neighborhoods didn't - that contributes to the wealth gap. It's the head start that is impacting things and accounts for the gap.

The average American derives their wealth from their home value, so your millionaire next door example isn't relevant to describe typical Americans.
Wrong. You didn't read it.

Direct quote from The Millionaire Next Door, Chapter One (the link I posted):
Quote:
"Fewer than 20 percent inherited 10 percent or more of their wealth."
Less than 20%, less than one in every five US millionaires, inherited 10% or more of their wealth.

That's why the book clearly says 80% of US millionaires are first-generation wealthy.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:25 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Does the OP and the link he posted refer to bad behavior of White families or any wrong doing on their end?

How does the OP feel this should be resolved?

Does this mean that white people study to hard to get ahead?

I see a lot of white people in all types of jobs,from blue collar though end jobs so now it is unfair?

It almost feels like hearing Nazi's talk about how to eliminate Jews having too much and taking it away!

Scary to read this stuff as I thought we are all humans and have the opportunity to reach high goals.

We just had a black/white President and black AG and Hispanics in the government and entire areas where it feels like English is not the first language.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:41 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
That's a true point. I imagine if Hillary won, the latin community would have had free reign to prosper. With Trump, he's thrown a monkey wrench in that. Though ultimately, it's just a monkey wrench. When it comes to Trump and the black community, who knows if they will survive once his budget cuts begin to take effect. Ultimately the way things are going, every community will suffer, but for black people the suffering is going to be devastating. The data shows it.
Any legitimate business that depends on government support to stay open should have never been opened in the first place.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:53 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I don't see how choosing which businesses to patronize is racism. I like to buy local whenever possible to support the folks in my town. That doesn't make me a xenophobe.
Don't pretend you don't see those "if we said we should by buy 'white' it would be racist"...comments whenever blacks start talking about spending money within our race. And like i said, people will tell blacks to pick themselves up by the bootstraps, then turn around and get mad when we talk about being a little bit more exclusive with anything. Darned if you do, darned if you don't. Or at the very least, when we openly talk about circling our wagons as blacks, whites are always lurking and popping up in our conversations with those "we are just people, why are you separating yourselves?" comments. Blacks have never had a period in this country where we have operated unbothered by whites. We are the one community constantly watched and interfered with. People will deny it and call me militant, but even on these forums how many "look at what a black person said" threads are there weekly? There is a certain dependence on black dollars being spent externally. And there is a huge reason people don't want to talk about reparations. A few blacks break through via luck or just being purely exceptional human beings.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Don't pretend you don't see those "if we said we should by buy 'white' it would be racist"...comments whenever blacks start talking about spending money within our race. And like i said, people will tell blacks to pick themselves up by the bootstraps, then turn around and get mad when we talk about being a little bit more exclusive with anything.
I disagree. Like I said, it's no different than my patronizing locally owned businesses to support our town's folks rather than buying elsewhere. That doesn't make me a xenophobe.

You're the one who wants to focus on race. /shrug

Old 03-26-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Wrong. You didn't read it.

Direct quote from The Millionaire Next Door, Chapter One (the link I posted):

Less than 20%, less than one in every five US millionaires, inherited 10% or more of their wealth.

That's why the book clearly says 80% of US millionaires are first-generation wealthy.
We aren't talking about millionaires here. Clearly you don't understand how having family wealth and assets can help stabilize your life with long reaching impacts. We all know middle class suburbia gives you an appreciating home, access to better schools and all sorts of invisible advantages that make it easier to generate wealth. If your parents have a spare 20% to help you with a down payment, you can buy a home a lot faster than someone who doesn't have a family safety net. If you can live in your parents home for 5 years after college rent free, you can build a great nest egg. If your parents have home equity to pay for college, you don't need loans.

You don't need directly inherited wealth to get a head start.

And again the vast majority of Americans are not millionaires. It is not relevant. Most millionaires in America are working ones with high incomes who start a business. This is not driving the wealth gap.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
We aren't talking about millionaires here.
People with a net worth of $1 million aren't wealthy? Since when?

Meanwhile...

Almost Half of All Americans Can't Generate $2,000 in 30 Days | TIME.com

Quote:
Clearly you don't understand how having family wealth and assets can help stabilize your life with long reaching impacts.
Of course it does. But not everyone who acquires a net worth of $1 million or more had access to family wealth and assets. In fact 80% of them did NOT.

The constant whining has to end. Don't whine. DO!

Old 03-26-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
People with a net worth of $1 million aren't wealthy? Since when?

Meanwhile...

Almost Half of All Americans Can't Generate $2,000 in 30 Days | TIME.com

Of course it does. But not everyone who acquires a net worth of $1 million or more had access to family wealth and assets. In fact 80% of them did NOT.

The constant whining has to end. Don't whine. DO!
Who said "millionaires" aren't wealthy? Millionaires are immaterial to addressing the wealth gap because most people arent millionaires. Why are you drinking on and in about millionaires when it is clear, with an average wealth of $130k or whatever it was we are not talking about millionaires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies