Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 09:55 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,860,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
IIRC, when George Herbert Walker Bush went into Iraq, a woman in Ladue, Mo. put a sign in her yard or window protesting. The city told her to take it down. It went to the Supremes, who said she could keep it.

Recently a man living on the golf course in the Houston area put up a flagpole in his backyard facing the course. The HOA said move it. There was no objection to the flagpole, just the location. He could put it in his front. They went to court The homeowner won.

Texas recently changed the law regarding liens and foreclosures by HOA. One threw an elderly women to the curb for non payment of their fees and fines. She had never received a bill. She won, got her house back plus a bunch of money. A couple of senators got busy. It took two legislative sessions but the law was changed.

This lady has no problem.
Because HOAs are becoming more prevalent, states are beginning to legislate to restrict their power. However, they still retain a lot of authority and that is governed by contract law as the homeowner generally signs a contract to agree and respect the HOA rules. In addition, towns and cities often like HOAs because it takes some of the enforcement burden away from them.

In Arizona, where I live, the state has restricted HOA authority in areas such as signage, flags, political activities and solar panels. The latest thing is permitting short term rentals which has HOAs scrambling to change their CC&Rs.

http://www.azleg.gov/Briefs/Senate/H...SOCIATIONS.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 10:04 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,890,068 times
Quote:
The family is planning to appeal the decision at next month’s homeowners association meeting.

Wake up people!!!! Stop buying houses if they have "homeowners associations". All you are doing is giving away your property rights. Just think how this story would have gone if there were no homeowners association? The property owner could have told them to beat feet and there is nothing they could do.

The moral of this story is not the flag, but property rights. Fight for property rights and this wouldn't be an issue. So stop buying flipping HOA homes, or.. if you do buy them, stop complaining, you allowed this to happen.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:05 AM

35,375 posts, read 20,756,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Because HOAs are becoming more prevalent, states are beginning to legislate to restrict their power. However, they still retain a lot of authority and that is governed by contract law as the homeowner generally signs a contract to agree and respect the HOA rules. In addition, towns and cities often like HOAs because it takes some of the enforcement burden away from them.

In Arizona, where I live, the state has restricted HOA authority in areas such as signage, flags, political activities and solar panels. The latest thing is permitting short term rentals which has HOAs scrambling to change their CC&Rs.

http://www.azleg.gov/Briefs/Senate/H...SOCIATIONS.pdf

Homeowners association silent as crime increases in Riverfront
Homeowners association silent as crime increases in Riverfront | WAVY-TV

HOA -- Gates may not always guarantee better security

Here's what the Sentinel found:
Residential burglaries and stolen cars were reported at nearly the same rate in gated and ungated neighborhoods -- five burglaries per 100 homes and one stolen car per 100 homes.

The only thing they can monitor in some areas is- code enforcement- and as they are cookie cutter homes - easy peasy, but they offer a false sense of security for the most part. Least in FL.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:46 AM

1,743 posts, read 984,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
fake news
idiotic post.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:24 PM

11,906 posts, read 5,540,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Wake up people!!!! Stop buying houses if they have "homeowners associations". All you are doing is giving away your property rights. Just think how this story would have gone if there were no homeowners association? The property owner could have told them to beat feet and there is nothing they could do.

The moral of this story is not the flag, but property rights. Fight for property rights and this wouldn't be an issue. So stop buying flipping HOA homes, or.. if you do buy them, stop complaining, you allowed this to happen.
It's a rare thing for me to agree with you, but I do about this. I guess some people are comfortable with the cookie-cutter uniformity required by many HOAs, but they need to make absolutely they are okay not only with current rules, but with the way in which new ones may be adopted.

Personally, I would never choose to live in such a neighborhood. I don't really want my neighbors to have a yard overgrown with weeds, strewn with trash, or filled with cars up on blocks, but I would prefer that to having someone tell me what color I can paint my house, what I can grow in my yard, or what I can park in my driveway.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:27 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,887,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
idiotic post.

fake poster

Old 03-24-2017, 01:46 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,900,140 times
solution to all of this, disban every HOA in the country. Their is no PROs in a HOA period.. non-what so ever.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:21 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,239,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
solution to all of this, disban every HOA in the country. Their is no PROs in a HOA period.. non-what so ever.
The vast majority of all new homes being built in the western half of the country are in HOAs. And it will not change. The municipalities have made it virtually impossible to build a tract without an HOA.

The pros to a municipality is the maintenance of common property such as edge or entry landscaping and walls or fences. In order to build without an HOA the tract would have to conform to the local street grid with no isolation.

And the view it is confined to cracker box tracts is myth. The toughest HOAs are invariably in the upper socioeconomic tracts with custom homes. You will find no half acre tracts without an HOA...none. And those HOAs will be more specific and detailed about requirements with much higher HOA fees.

Last edited by lvmensch; 03-24-2017 at 03:07 PM..

Old 03-24-2017, 02:25 PM

50,079 posts, read 46,654,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The vast majority of all new homes being built in the western half of the country are in HOAs. And it will not change. The municipalities have made it virtually impossible to build a tract without an HOA.

The pros to a municipality is the maintenance of common property such as edge or entry landscaping and walls or fences. In order to build without an HOA the tract would have to conform to the local street grid with no isolation.

And the view it is confined to cracker box tracts is myth. The toughest HOAs are invariable in the upper socioeconomic tracts with custom homes. You will find no half acre tracts without an HOA...none. And those HOAs will be more specific and detailed about requirements with much higher HOA fees.
You can still buy an existing home and remodel it. Plenty of big lots with older homes just ripe for a remodel.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:26 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,600,909 times
FAKE NEWS

the first line is a lie. the phrase did not exist years ago.

she lives in a HOA, so she can kiss my butt that is what she signed up for. If she does not like it, change the rules or move.

I am glad she was forced to comply with the rules just like my buddy who had to move his swing set, and my buddy who had to move his shed, and same guy who had to sell his RV or store it.

Or like the guy in my neighboring town who failed to build in the time frame and the HOA sold his lot on the open market.

them the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies