Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 06:07 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times

Advertisements

Time
He also claimed credit for things he had said that were factually incorrect at the time, but for which he later found evidence. At a February rally, in a discussion about problems caused by new migrants in Europe, he said, "Look at what's happening last night in Sweden." Nothing had happened the prior night in Sweden, prompting diplomatic protests from Stockholm. But days later, there was a riot in a predominantly immigrant suburb in response to a local arrest. Which, to the President's way of thinking, made him a truth-teller. "I was right about that," he said.

Truth, in other words, takes time to ripen: he also said his unsubstantiated claim that at least 3 million undocumented immigrants had voted illegally in the 2016 election would be proved right eventually, though he hinted to TIME that he no longer stood by all parts of that claim. "When I say that, I mean mostly they register wrong. In other words, for the votes, they register incorrectly, and/or illegally," the President said. "I'm forming a committee on it."

The more the conversation continued, the more the binary distinctions between truth and falsehood blurred, the telltale sign of a veteran and strategic misleader who knows enough to leave himself an escape route when he tosses a bomb. Rather than assert things outright, he often couches provocative statements as "beliefs," or attributes them to 'unnamed' "very smart people." During the campaign, he claimed falsely that Texas Senator Ted Cruz's father had consorted with the assassin who killed John F. Kennedy. Now as President, Trump argued that he had done nothing wrong by spreading the fiction, since it had been printed in the National Enquirer, a tabloid famous for its unconventional editorial standards.

Trump has in this way brought to the Oval Office an entirely different set of assumptions about the proper behavior of a public official, and introduced to the country entirely new rules for public debate. In some ways, it is not surprising. For years, we have known Trump colored outside the lines of what was actually real because he told us. As a businessman, Trump wrote in praise of strategic falsehood, or "truthful hyperbole," as he preferred to call it. Sometimes his whoppers were clumsy, the apparent result of being ill informed or promiscuous in his sources. Sometimes he exaggerated to get a rise out of his audience. But often Trump's untruths give every sign of being deliberate and thought through.

Trump recently bragged about a drop in the Labor Department jobless rate--after calling the same statistic "phony" when it signaled improvement under Obama. Trump explained the contradiction through his spokesman with a quip: "They may have been phony in the past, but it's very real now."

TIME reviewed the 298 tweets Trump has sent since being elected President as of March 21. Fifteen included clear falsehoods, like the wiretap claims. The false messages were retweeted an average of 28,550 times. Those that were not clearly false were retweeted on average 23,945 times. The viral effect of falsehood being repeated on the news was many times more pronounced.
According to a search through the Internet Archive, a nonprofit library database, the false tweets were quoted on television an average of 31 times, more than twice as often as other tweets.

For Trump's allies, this is a measure of strategic brilliance, not defective character. "He understands how to make something an issue and elevate the discussion by saying things that are contrary, perhaps even unproved," explains Roger Stone, a former adviser to Trump, who has his own penchant for spreading false conspiracy theories. "He has the ability to change the subject to what he wants to talk about."

The night before his wiretap maneuver had been a trying one for Trump's young White House, according to aides. It was a Friday, and the President was frustrated that his widely praised address to Congress on Tuesday had been overtaken by darker news. Revelations of previously denied contacts between Attorney General Jeff Sessions and a Russian official had led Sessions to recuse himself from any probe of Russian election interference. The LexisNexis database registered 509 stories or news transcripts referring to some aspect of the story.
Can President Trump Handle the Truth?

The most VILE, DETESTABLE,PATHOLOGICAL LIAR in history!

Oh and I am certain everyone remembers this lie~Trump Will Prosecute Hillary for email Scandal If He Is Elected President
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ainst-her.html

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 03-23-2017 at 06:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 08:51 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
No! Trump can’t handle the truth if it makes him look less than “great”. He’s always one up better and can never be wrong. It’s simply not in his personality or character.

He has received a new updated recount on the inauguration crowd at the male from the Nat’l Parks Service today.

Trump placed a call to acting NPS Director Mike Reynolds the day after the inauguration, asking the agency to produce additional photos of the inauguration. That weekend the White House had begun insisting that Trump's inauguration on Jan. 20 was the most watched ever, a claim which has been largely disproven.

NPS offered 'corrective messaging' after White House raged over inauguration crowd photos | Washington Examiner!

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...ion-crowd-size

Old 03-23-2017, 10:08 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Trump cant handle 1 ioda of truth!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-23-2017, 10:51 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
I think the most despicable (and revealing) thing he said to the reporter was

"I can't be doing so badly, because I'm the president and you're not."

I don't think he was joking either. All he cares about is "I won, I won. Look at me."

Maybe despicable is too strong, but he certainly is an embarrassment to our nation. It's as if we have an immature teenager in the White House.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:03 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Can President Trump handle the truth?
I respectfully defer to Jack Nicholson's opinion on this matter.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:05 PM

101 posts, read 53,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Trump cant handle 1 ioda of truth!!!!!!!!!
Trump lies here and there, but he's probably the most truthful president we've had in years. Remember Clinton and Bush.... and Obama was by far the worst. It's all relative.

Be fair... Bush, Clinton, and Obama were bad, and they lied about serious stuff like sex, WMD's, Benghazi videos. Crazy stuff. Nobody cares about the crowd size, and with TV, and Internet live streams, Trump's might have been the most watched inaugriation.. nobody knows..

Trump did say in the interview... that the unemployment percentage rate of 4.7 is still phony, even though he's president..

Old 03-23-2017, 11:07 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,669,318 times
I think Trump literally wipes his azz with the constitution everyday.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:10 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaweed22 View Post
Trump lies here and there, but he's probably the most truthful president we've had in years.
Remember Clinton and Bush.... and Obama was by far the worst. It's all relative.

Be fair... Bush, Clinton, and Obama were bad, and they lied about serious stuff like sex, WMD's, Benghazi videos. Crazy stuff. Nobody cares about the crowd size, and with TV, and Internet live streams, Trump's might have been the most watched inaugriation.. nobody knows..

Trump did say in the interview... that the unemployment percentage rate of 4.7 is still phony, even though he's president..
Are you serious. Trump lies about everything. So you think he is more truthful than Regan. He doesn't even hold a candle to Regan.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:20 PM

101 posts, read 53,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Are you serious. Trump lies about everything. So you think he is more truthful than Regan. He doesn't even hold a candle to Regan.
Saying Trump lies about everything, is in fact, a lie. So your argument just collapsed upon itself.

Where in my post did I say Reagan? I said Bush, Clinton, Obama... Reagan was not mentioned. That's 2 lies in 1 small post.

Funny things happen in threads about the truth.

Last edited by seaweed22; 03-23-2017 at 11:29 PM..

Old 03-23-2017, 11:31 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,372,669 times
tRump's a father of lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies