Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 02:34 PM

29,533 posts, read 9,704,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This is one of those threads I'm going to link to so that I can come back, sometime in the future, and mock the libs who think this is some kind of victory for Dems and makes Trump look bad.

It won't be as delicious as all of those threads up to the election, but it's going to be fun.

How many times will the left underestimate Trump. One would think they would have learned by now, but no. Their arrogance won't allow them to learn.
Seems your primary goal is to mock, period.

Trump has been "underestimated" as you put it, surprisingly popular with his supporters, amazingly enough to make him POTUS thanks to them, is more like it, but that does not get us better health care, or better relations or better trade with our allies, or better jobs, or a better economy, or less terrorism, or better standing in the world. All talk and a crooked walk is not better leadership far as most of us are concerned anyway.

Might expect some sort of "unpresidented" presidential address about this all considered, but I suppose Trump will be tweeting us all we really need to know simple and soon enough. Or judging from some of these comments, his supporters are already taking care of that nonsense for him, seemingly to make sure the nonsense never stops!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 02:36 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Um... rich lefties ARE 1%-ers. Why are you saying they won't donate? Is all their self-righteousness about helping the poor all just an act? OMG! NOOOOOOO!!!
It is an act. I went to school in a VERY liberal town and all these progressives were the same. They loved to go on about how much they cared, but when it came to walking the walk, they were running for the door while the collection coffer was being passed around.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:36 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Why didn't the Democrats try to help fix the thing? We all know it's going bust.
Do you really think the Rs asked them for help?

The Rs are the majority. In terms of sheer numbers, they shouldn't need any D votes. So they didn't bother to ask.

And Rs don't want to fix the ACA, which just about every D would sign on for. The Rs want to get rid of the ACA, and most reject the whole philosophy behind it. Why would Ds sign onto that effort?

You fail to understand just how important a universal health care plan is to D voters. But D congress critters do. They have absolutely nothing to gain by cooperating with the Rs to repudiate the effort for universal health care.

Last edited by jacqueg; 03-24-2017 at 02:45 PM..

Old 03-24-2017, 02:37 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,404,476 times
OUCH! Didn't see the press conference yet...but that had to hurt him when he said it.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:37 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,562,395 times
It appears the only thing Trump has been truthful about is not having a 'Plan B' if this bill failed.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:38 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,655,549 times
I was just reading something about that.

How exactly would it work?

It would certainly solve a lot of problems.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:39 PM

29,533 posts, read 9,704,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
The ACA is not perfect. It can use improvement but there is no need to trash the whole thing and start over. That is the one thing Trump can not face, that his whole new plan will not fly. There is an old saying about throwing the baby out with the bath water, the idea being, keep the good and change the bad. If republicans could just understand that much, they might have a chance of getting somewhere.
That defies political "wisdom," but I think some wisdom that defies most of Trump's supporters nevertheless.

Funny, don't you think, that one sentiment very common among Trump supporters is the fear and loathing of politicians, but read their comments, and you would think they were all politicians in civilian clothing, with all their alternative facts, twisting of the truth, can't admit when they are wrong or even reconsider...

I guess, though, if you're a devoted follower of someone adept at that sort of "win at any cost" leader, that's what you are expected to do, fall in line or you are an "enemy of the people."

Old 03-24-2017, 02:40 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,149,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Take the billions upon billions of dollars of profit these sharks make off our healthcare and make going to the doctor affordable again. Break up Phizer and all the big pharma firms and give the research grants to universities and medical schools. Enough is enough.
100% agree but you are way too sensible for all the right wing free marketers on this board. Of course they are wrong, but it never stops them from hugging all the highly paid insurance execs and their bought and paid for right wing repub legislators that prevent this from happening.

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Charities, friends, family, donation societies (doctors, nurses, companies who donate money and their time), individual collection drives, etc...

Then there is getting a loan to pay for it and all the ways that can be achieved with help.

If you are to say this can not be achieved, that we are overloaded with such cases, then I think you are not being dishonest, or.... you are expecting us to pay for the worlds issues as well.

Thing is, there is a LOT of abuse out there. In fact, there is more abuse, and unjust use of those services than there are legitimate ones. Remove them, people will sink or swim and the lazy, the abusers, the moochers, the parasites WILL provide for themselves.

Problem is, this takes away they paying for vote approach by politicians.

BS, ignorance, seriously... you have no clue what you are talking about. You sound like someone who doesn't even know anything about how the MANY MANY donation societies we have already work.

You don't seem to get the fact that once people realize how vulnerable THEY are themselves in your new world, those charity dollars are going to dry up.

"Yes, things are good for me now, but what if I lose my job, what if I have a special needs child someday that will require expensive ongoing medical care to survive, what if I become disabled myself? Sorry, I can't donate, I need to save every penny in case I need it myself, after all, there are no longer any safety nets left to rely on when disaster strikes."

And, if you think the 1%ers are going to shoulder it all, you are the one who doesn't have a clue.

14,268 posts, read 18,925,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
No you don't, you argue completely AGAINST being responsible. You just gave numerous examples of how people should be "given" something because of their situation, that they should not have to pay for it, that we should FORCE others to pay for it without asking.

You have no concept of what responsibility even is.
I won't answer all the negative comments, but I will respond to this one. I am not the person who has no concept of responsibility. Apparently there are many people who are either totally ignorant about the health care crisis or have no compassion whatsoever. It is our RESPONSIBILITY as human beings to care for each other and to realize that if we have good health or the ability to pay a doctor when we're sick, we are blessed.

The posts about charities and neighbors helping are all good suggestions, but those options aren't always available. I know people who sold their homes and used up their nest eggs to pay for life saving treatment. These are American citizens who worked long hours and contributed for many years to society and now people like you are telling me society doesn't want them.

I'm suddenly reminded of a Twilight Zone episode with Burgess Meredith called "The Obsolete Man." He's a librarian and society declares him to be no longer useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies