Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 10:51 AM

356 posts, read 281,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
anything is better than obamacare
I disagree with this. I think pretty much everyone agrees that Obamacare needs major work. However, a haphazard new plan cannot just be slammed through because a deadline is trying to be met, or because it will "stick it" to the other side. A new plan needs to be well thought out, and both sides need to suck it up and work together to come up with something most can agree on. They are never going to make everyone happy, but they can probably get the majority behind something if both sides will just compromise and work together. Both sides are so against each other that they forget there are 300 million other people who are counting on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 12:01 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi
Liberals, if you guys would stop focusing on the wealthy you'd realize the middle class gets a nice tax cut too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi
Every income group will receive a tax break. You can google his plan. Avoid opinionated crap and focus on the facts.
Ok, I Googled it. This is what found at CNBC.

Look at the graph, everyone gets a tax-cut. most get a tiny cut and the top end get a huge cut.

As I said previously, the tax-cuts are screwed towards the upper-end.

Last edited by MTAtech; 03-25-2017 at 12:12 PM..

Old 03-27-2017, 12:38 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The military is still the government, and has to work within government to get things done. Business does not. Even the military is affected by politics.
So is business.

Just think about all of the regulations that affect construction and real estate -- Trump's business -- from the local, state and federal governments.

Not to mention foreign governments in relation to his international projects.

And your original claim that a businessman can't govern because executives have a dictatorial approach was already countered by my noting that a general governed this country very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Crumbs to the bottom 90% and a huge windfall for the top 1% is the "Trump tax plan".
Why shouldn't it be that way?

The rich pay most of the taxes. So of course, they would get the largest amount in savings.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:12 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
He shouldn't have any problem getting tax cuts and regulatory reform without Democrat support.

If he gets two supreme court justices plus tax cuts, he will have more than justified his presidency.

He'll need good old Mitch McConnell to use the nuclear option to pave the way for a conservative supreme court.
That all depends on whatever the proposed reforms are.

Trump just learned the hard way that winning the job is a lot easier than doing the job, and now he knows just how formidable the job he has is.

The Freedom Caucus is the same caucus that drove Boehner out of the Speaker's job and then out of Congress, and Trump and Ryan botched things so badly that he's now lost a lot of the Republican establishment Representatives.

He will have to court some of the Democrats just get anything major passed at all, and that's going to be a very hard proposition for him now.

I think it's very likely we will see some more bi-partisan informal caucuses form quietly behind closed doors. I also think that some of those loose caucuses could well include members of the Freedom Caucus. That bunch seems to understand their constituents better than a lot of other Representatives, and if it helps them to side with some Democratic issues that can favor them, they will. Quietly, but effectively.

The thing about Trump's win was he actually wasn't very far away from the basics that generally favored the Democratic party for decades. His problem is he bashed the Democrats far to hard to be trusted by them now. But Trump opened a door that showed what the hard right conservatives needed to see.

A lot of them now are pretty shaken after hearing what went on in the town hall meetings over the winter break. Most of them know some Democrats a lot better than they know Trump, and they can trust those Democrats a lot more than Trump.

Donald being Donald, first he blamed the Democrats for his failure, and then today blamed the Freedom Caucus. Stupid tactical moves both times. Neither the Democrats nor the Freedom Caucus fear him now, and they all loathe Bannon and his bunch now.

Trump is in much deeper trouble than he realizes. He had better make fewer plans for more golf trips and more plans to stick around and get to know his opposition in Congress.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:24 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
but you are talking about Sir Orangutan here...
I'm not on either side, but I'm surprised you would refer to him as Sir anything....even as an insult.

Quote:
the Repugs should just abandon ship...
By this do you mean start impeachment proceedings with the Emoluments Clause as the basis?

Old 03-27-2017, 01:26 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,156 times
I've always thought to implement his programs, he would need to get moderate Dems along with moderate Republicans as Conservative Republicans and Trump are apart on much of his initiatives. I'm sure we'll see this on some of the initiatives going forward.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:41 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
The sticking point is the border tax. The tax plan is revenue neutral because of the proposed border tax. The freedom caucus is against the border tax. If Trump gives in to the freedom caucus and removes the border tax, then we increase debt, and now the freedom caucus has a new problem with the tax legislation. There is no winning with them.
Oddly enough I'm against a border tax. That's a tariff and those are not good.

As for the "Freedom Caucus", they are just repackaged TEA parties and they're all in the Koch Bros. pocket.

Funny that you now lament their obstructionism. Have you voted for a Freedom Caucus member?

Old 03-27-2017, 04:55 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Kind of hilarious to see Repubs needing the help of Democrats to get any major legislation passed when for the past couple of months the repubs have been gloating and spiking the ball on their wonderful win on Nov 8. Well you now got the power to do anything you want,you have the majority,you dont need any Democrats to have your objectives met.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:06 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Kind of hilarious to see Repubs needing the help of Democrats to get any major legislation passed when for the past couple of months the repubs have been gloating and spiking the ball on their wonderful win on Nov 8. Well you now got the power to do anything you want,you have the majority,you dont need any Democrats to have your objectives met.
It may be hilarious but it is reality in our system. The Dems have a choice, work together on things they can agree on or just be obstructionist.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:47 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Oddly enough I'm against a border tax. That's a tariff and those are not good.

As for the "Freedom Caucus", they are just repackaged TEA parties and they're all in the Koch Bros. pocket.

Funny that you now lament their obstructionism. Have you voted for a Freedom Caucus member?
Not to my knowledge. I live in a part of NJ where a Freedom Caucus Member would not even get far enough to be at a point where I would be able to vote for them even if I wanted to.

What I find funny is that dems have no problem taxing our own citizens and corporations into oblivion, but when it comes to taxing foreign entities, they are against that tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies