Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 02:58 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,318,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Premiums were rising before the ACA. They rose every year like clockwork.

Millions more people are insured now than pre-ACA. TrumpCare would have reversed that trend.

The ACA has a lot in it that is about the protection of patients. Look up something called the Essential Health Benefits. You should have no trouble finding them, since taking those away from Americans was the carrot that Trump and Ryan attempted to use to get the Freedom Caucus to get on board.

Frankly, I'm surprised the Freedom Caucus didn't go for it. Screwing over Americans is what that group lives for.

I never recall my premiums for the same exact coverage double in one year as it has under the "Unaffordable" Care Act.

"Screwing over Americans" it what it did as upwards of 70% of Americans implored the Dem controlled Congress to not put it into Law.

They were ignored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 03:01 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
He's going to have the same problems with anything he tries to do. The left are going to challenge anything he does, after "much deliberation they will conclude they must" at the expense of the country. Party before country, after all

I'm not sure what your definition of a collapse is.
"Trump may well have the choice of an unpalatable deal with the Democrats or going into the 2018 election with a large hole in the health care system."

THAT sounds like a collapse to me.

One thing for certain; if the Dems do not come to the table in good faith in trying to create a bipartisan fix, they will be hammered (again) at the ballot box. Voters understand who passed ACA without reading it while locking out the Pubs.

I'm also sick of the left blaming Republicans for not fixing a bill they had no input on and were locked out from even voting on. THAT is an insane position.

DC works best when both parties actually work together.
Fixing a legislative problem is the job of the legislature. Period. If the Republicans allow the ACA to crash in some places but not others they can expect to take the blame. And the crash will be local. You may well see a situation where some areas of Arizona are without any offerings while Nevada has many.

The Democrats are going to be protected for a long time from any blame for the mess that results simply by the behavior of the Republicans over the last couple of legislative sessions. You can't spend years as the party of no and then claim the other side has some requirement to cooperate. The failure to vote on the USSC nominee will cost the Republicans.

Done just right I can see the Republicans losing their house majority and maybe even the Senate. But even best case they can hope for after a blowup will be to maintain control of both houses with decreased margins.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:08 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Premiums were rising before the ACA. They rose every year like clockwork.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
114% for me here and others have seen even worse increases without increase of benefit or lowering of deductibles.
EXACTLY!

Jams, you are completely ignoring just how much premiums are going up this year. Also, what's the point of having insurance if you can't afford the deductibles?

People who say their insurance is better are ignoring that when they actually need to use it, they will be hammered. Health insurance and healthcare are two different things. You can have all the cheap insurance in the world, but when you need healthcare and can't afford it... what good is it?

Old 03-25-2017, 03:38 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
EXACTLY!

Jams, you are completely ignoring just how much premiums are going up this year. Also, what's the point of having insurance if you can't afford the deductibles?

People who say their insurance is better are ignoring that when they actually need to use it, they will be hammered. Health insurance and healthcare are two different things. You can have all the cheap insurance in the world, but when you need healthcare and can't afford it... what good is it?
The average mid level premium was up 22%. Much of it due to initial under pricing in prior years. The worst cases were in places like Phoenix where it went up 145%. But there were also places like Providence, RI where it went down 14%.

It is certainly not a happy story but it is not terribly bleak either. And it does need some fixing. The Republicans will end up having to do that one way or another or pay a huge price.

Last edited by lvmensch; 03-25-2017 at 04:01 PM..

Old 03-25-2017, 03:42 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
"Esplode"? Who says so, Ricky Ricardo?
LMAO!!!

Exactly what I was thinking when reading the title, but MUCH better expressed.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:01 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,635,682 times
Quote:
IF this is the case, then Trump is doing the right thing. Simply let it go, since it's so great, and move on to more important things like lowering taxes, bringing back jobs, repatriating the $2T from overseas...etc.

Let whatever happens happen with the ACA

I've also been saying that for a year.

The one thing I know for sure is that when it does fail, the liberal left will still make up some excuse, blame the right, take no responsibility let alone admit they were wrong.
cool so you believe, that because the majority of our reps, did not do as trump and rayn wanted, he should let or make obamacare fail, and allow tens of thousands to die .

i just want to make sure we understand that YOU support the deaths of thousands just to support trump/ win...

Old 03-25-2017, 04:34 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,372,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
cool so you believe, that because the majority of our reps, did not do as trump and rayn wanted, he should let or make obamacare fail, and allow tens of thousands to die .

i just want to make sure we understand that YOU support the deaths of thousands just to support trump/ win...
I would also like to add this since Ryan Care or Trump care was going touring down prices.. Rude awakening, because reducing mandates such as " NO Limits on Claim $" or " requirement to cover certain people regardless of Life altering Health demands/History of the past of applicants/... then of course using age versus income levels as determination of "Tax Credits".. which would automatically make premiums unaffordable for poor, middle class and elderly.!! then of course with such cuts... Insurance Co. can benefit with removable of CEO's tax breaks .. Yikes the bill just reeked with Lobbyist demands.

The reason I know Trump didn't know what was in the bill is because looked only at the "Prize" passing a bill. The bill actually was directly opposite of what he promised in every Rally .. and the vulnerable ones bought it. They just wouldn't believe he could hurt them... But donors new better... Big Buck Donors demanded relief and this bill paid them back in full.. Trump offering appeasement to moderates actually caused strict REPEAL ones ( Freedom Caucus ) to say NO .. Obama Care "Lite" and nope!

Things got complicated due to such 3 separate partitions in ideology within GOP. GOP so divided will never agree with anything now that BO is gone. BO was the uniting force since 2010... now BO isn't such a uniter of GOP obstructionism. Trump truly has a HUUUGE problem... Majority in House and slim majority in Senate and a President to conflicts daily with tweets of mis-information and contradictions..

All this is compounded 10 fold with WH Administrative/Campaign participants under INVESTIGATION by FBI!
Trump's getting his surrogates in place to coverup/refuse to followup isn't working... WH has more to worry about than inability to pass legislation.. Trump is in a WORLD of Problems never seen before in ANY Administration... SMH

Old 03-25-2017, 06:40 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The average mid level premium was up 22%. Much of it due to initial under pricing in prior years. The worst cases were in places like Phoenix where it went up 145%. But there were also places like Providence, RI where it went down 14%.

It is certainly not a happy story but it is not terribly bleak either. And it does need some fixing. The Republicans will end up having to do that one way or another or pay a huge price.

Yep, clean up the mess Dems left, the big mess.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:08 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
President Trump says so.....that's scary stuff
I don't know about esplodeing, but it may EXPLODE.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:29 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
I'm in favor of leaving Obamacare in place as is. Leftists are not capable of learning unless they are burned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies