Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2017, 10:49 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
You pay for all of it through lower wages.
You actually believe if the government was a single payer that corporations would give everyone raises to make up what they saved in premiums after substracting additional taxes they have to pay?

In the long run you are correct. As Keynes stated "In the long run we are all dead." In the short to midterm the corporations would benefit greatly at the expense of taxpayers, more deficits and higher taxes.

The corporation that pays 75% of my premiums is a Japanese multinational. Why would we want Americans to pay for what a Japanese corporation is paying for now?

Under single payer Americans and the middle class lose. Foreigners and the rich win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 11:35 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Canadians and UK'ers say it works and they ought to know. Why do so many Americans think that those folks are lying? What purpose would it serve to lie about it?

It's an American propaganda myth that they all go to America if they have serious need. If you are really a nononsenseguy then don't drink that koolaid, it's in your own best interests to question it instead and find out who started the myth and what their real agenda is.

As always, follow the money. The answer lies there. Over 60 million people in the UK use the NHS. How many of those folks go to America for treatment?

I see sad cases sometimes of parents here with dying children. They cling on to hope with a new treatment they hear of in America to try and save their child. They raise money to go for treatment. I don't hear of many miracle cures.

The argument here is going back and forth on what it would cost for universal health care in America. Well, I guess less than what is being spent now. America has the most expensive health care in the world, yet many have poor coverage.

I'm only guessing, but what I see in some posts here, is an annoyance at the idea of, as the poster sees it, 'why should I pay for someone else's health care?' I've even seen posts in threads like these of, 'I pay a lot for my health care, so I should always go in front of folks who pay less.'

Plus of course, all the propaganda spewed out by interested parties showing faults in the NHS. "See" they say, "it don't work........ you're better off as things are here in America." Well, there is nothing I can do about that. Their propaganda is far stronger than anything I can say against them.

There are lots of rich people in America getting ever richer from American health care. Politicians are 'lobbied' meaning cash coming their way, to leave things just as they are, or tinker round the edges. That tinkering generally means Americans paying more and more for their coverage, and getting more resentful, blaming others for this. "Too many taking, and not paying into the pot." Divide and conquer.... it's worked forever.

It doesn't take a lot of figuring out that lots of health care money goes in administration of a profit based system. That money should go towards health care, not profits of insurance companies. But, I guess that's the American way. Some posters say 'keep the government out of health care. They'll just mess it up, like they do everything else.' I dunno...... maybe they're right.

But, the NHS is government run, and paid for from taxes. Well, the government funds it, but they don't run it. It's too big for that. It is run by administrators, and of course doctors and nurses. It gives very good value for the money spent on it. But, different countries, have different health schemes. Lots of different ways of providing universal health care. All the American people have to do, is decide if they want health care for all, or if they don't. If they do, they will have one hell of a fight on their hands. Too many folks with their snouts in the trough.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:44 PM

800 posts, read 508,405 times
The other countries in NATO wouldnt have as easy of a time affording socialized healthcare if they paid their fair share in the NATO military quota. They're supposed to be paying at least 3% of their GDP in military contributions but other than the US and a couple others most don't pay even close to that. We in the US pay the vast vast majority of the military budget in this alliance, and so the people in Europe can afford shiny socialized things for themselves like healthcare and paid maternity leave (not to be shared with the US, unlike our shared military).

Old 04-17-2017, 11:50 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
The other countries in NATO wouldnt have as easy of a time affording socialized healthcare if they paid their fair share in the NATO military quota. They're supposed to be paying at least 3% of their GDP in military contributions but other than the US and a couple others most don't pay even close to that. We in the US pay the vast vast majority of the military budget in this alliance, and so the people in Europe can afford shiny socialized things for themselves like healthcare and paid maternity leave (not to be shared with the US, unlike our shared military).
Thats just a pathetic excuse we use. We decide for ourselves what we spend on military and bombing. Besides, when countries have a tax to GDP ratio of 45% which many have, whether military spending is 1.5% or 2.0% of GDP is really not important and like a rounding error.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
So why don't you close some of those bases America has all over the world? Lots of folks saying what you say. So go home. Trouble is, America never goes home does it? Why do you think that is?

I love how Americans go on about 'socialized healthcare.' The propaganda you're brought up with from the crib sure works!!

Y'all always got money for a war, and shiny missiles. Why not curb the military, and spend the taxpayers money on health care for all? After all, it is your money isn't it? Isn't America the Land of the Free? Shouldn't the health of the people come high on the list of priorities? I thought President Trump was going to put Americans first?

Old 04-17-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You actually believe if the government was a single payer that corporations would give everyone raises to make up what they saved in premiums after substracting additional taxes they have to pay?

In the long run you are correct. As Keynes stated "In the long run we are all dead." In the short to midterm the corporations would benefit greatly at the expense of taxpayers, more deficits and higher taxes.

The corporation that pays 75% of my premiums is a Japanese multinational. Why would we want Americans to pay for what a Japanese corporation is paying for now?

Under single payer Americans and the middle class lose. Foreigners and the rich win.
The corporation doesnt pay it. You pay it. Through lower wages. The Japanese dont pay for it. Thats why a Medicare-for-all system includes an employer payroll tax to replace employer based premiums.

Corporate America hate Medicare-for-all with a passion and that's why they are flooding the campaign coffers of politicians who push against it.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
So why don't you close some of those bases America has all over the world? Lots of folks saying what you say. So go home. Trouble is, America never goes home does it? Why do you think that is?

I love how Americans go on about 'socialized healthcare.' The propaganda you're brought up with from the crib sure works!!

Y'all always got money for a war, and shiny missiles. Why not curb the military, and spend the taxpayers money on health care for all? After all, it is your money isn't it? Isn't America the Land of the Free? Shouldn't the health of the people come high on the list of priorities? I thought President Trump was going to put Americans first?
Yes, the health care of the nation is a national security risk, killing thousands every year who cant afford the needed treatment. But we dont have money for that apparently. Only war mongering and tax cuts for the donor class. How strange! And the dominant media never question this. How strange! I wonder who owns the media and why they dont ask these questions? Very, very odd...

Old 04-18-2017, 12:07 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,903 times
Quote:
The corporation doesnt pay it. You pay it. Through lower wages. The Japanese dont pay for it. Thats why a Medicare-for-all system includes an employer payroll tax to replace employer based premiums.

Corporate America hate Medicare-for-all with a passion and that's why they are flooding the campaign coffers of politicians who push against it.
Those lower wages will not go up if government steps in and takes the burden away from corporations. Single payer means I and tens of millions of Americans lose. It means foreigners and stockholders win. The employer tax does not entirely replace employer based premiums.

Sorry, bud, we heard the promises about Obamacare. Most of us were not fooled the first time we sure as heck won't believe the middle class will not suffer again for the benefit of the slothful poor and the idle rich.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:11 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Lol. First of all with the private equity managers pretty much everything is held "long term". So you can cash any time, if you don't, it is not my problem. With hedge funds it is slightly more complicated, very slightly, but again there is no risk. Google it. So no, it is payment for work, and needs to be taxed at the correct rate, got it?
You don't get it. A profits interest isn't a salary. And, yes, hedge funds have gone belly up, so there is indeed risk.

Quote:
And please stop with the "replacement of 1.7 trillion" (or whatever your favorite number is) for private spending on healthcare. We DON'T want to replace it completely, because lower cost healthcare is needed. So when you cut the insurance companies profits, and the "overhead" (you know like health exec 100 mil salary + whatever) then you lower the cost, got it? The medicare chief last time I checked makes quite less.
Get a clue. Even the lefty think tank Urban Institute said 'Medicare for All' would cost $3.2 trillion/year. Given that the Fed Gov now only spends $918.4 billion/year on health care, where will Fed Gov get the other $2 trillion or so to fund it?

http://www.urban.org/sites/default/f...-Care-Plan.pdf

https://www.cms.gov/research-statist...act-sheet.html

Old 04-18-2017, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Yes, the health care of the nation is a national security risk, killing thousands every year who cant afford the needed treatment. But we dont have money for that apparently. Only war mongering and tax cuts for the donor class. How strange! And the dominant media never question this. How strange! I wonder who owns the media and why they dont ask these questions? Very, very odd...
American media is all about distraction, and fear mongering. President Trump is in Russia's pocket.......they got a film of him having sex with call girls! He drops a few bombs, and pisses off the Russians. No more talk of Trump and pockets. The Russians interfered in the election........ distraction, always distraction. Now, it's North Korea. Trump is finding out, drop a few bombs and cruise missiles, and all of a sudden you go from lame duck, to tough guy.......... Gawd, it all makes me laugh.

I was in America a few years ago, and watched Fox News. It was during the fears over ebola. Every time I turned on the tv, that's all they talked about........America's going to have an ebola epidemic! Run for the hills! Then, towards the end of my stay, the talk was, "now don't worry folks..... it's all under control...." These were the same folks who caused the fear, now telling people to stop worrying. I just watched in astonishment as they pulled the public's strings.

It's the same with universal healthcare. It can't be done, it'll cost too much, government need to keep out of it, I don't want me no socialized medicine........... I really don't know what it'll take for real change to come for all American citizens. The powers that be will fight tooth and nail to keep things just as they are. If the system worked well for all, then great......... but it doesn't does it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies