Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 02:20 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,067,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I would say they are represented on TV and in films today at a much higher percentage than 2-5%. Almost like there has to be a token gay person in a supporting role on just about everything. Not saying that is bad or good just the way it is.
I've noticed it, too. I thought the way they handled it with Randy on Major Crimes was pretty cool. There was and is an actual storyline, not just a token gay character.

On Shades of Blue I was blown away (no pun intended) when they had their gay scene.

But mostly it feels like they are inserting gay characters in the shows in an awkward manner. Forced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 04:57 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,214,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I would say they are represented on TV and in films today at a much higher percentage than 2-5%. Almost like there has to be a token gay person in a supporting role on just about everything. Not saying that is bad or good just the way it is.
Well, I don't know about that. I've noticed more gay characters, and maybe the percentage of characters is more than 2-5%, but I honestly don't think they're being unreasonably overrepresented. While good media (TV shows and movies and such) should represent real life in some way, it need not be perfect. Those just tell stories and I frankly don't have a problem with gay people's sorties being told in a way that makes them seem bigger than 2-5%, so long as the stories are interesting.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:10 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,921,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Well, I don't know about that. I've noticed more gay characters, and maybe the percentage of characters is more than 2-5%, but I honestly don't think they're being unreasonably overrepresented. While good media (TV shows and movies and such) should represent real life in some way, it need not be perfect. Those just tell stories and I frankly don't have a problem with gay people's sorties being told in a way that makes them seem bigger than 2-5%, so long as the stories are interesting.
It's also possible that the LGBTQ community makes up a disproportionate percentage of industry.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:16 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,901,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
If a spaceship from another planet landed on Earth and 7 aliens walked off, don't you suppose that everyone would be talking about them? Yet they make up only 0.000000001% of the population.

The fact that they (aliens or LBGTQRSTUVs) are so insignificant in numbers makes them an aberration worth discussing. If and when they reach a point where they don't feel the need to draw attention to themselves, they will be considered normal.
Note to Retroit: we are normal. Once I married my wife and was able to be just as boring as everyone else, we were as happy as could be. Besides, so what if we want to draw attention to ourselves (which most of us don't want anyway)? Heterosexuals draw attention to themselves and their relationships every minute of every day. Why shouldn't it be the same for gays? Oh, wait; I get it. We shouldn't draw attention to ourselves because you're not gay, so it's weird and gross to you, right?

Old 03-26-2017, 10:26 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,799,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Yes, you have more of a chance of having Autism than being a lesbian. If only the first would get as much attention.

Fair point. I agree with you. However having an attraction to someone of the same gender is most likely very common (at least for women). Most just might not admit to it. Also I'm not for getting attention if it doesn't mean understanding. Understanding is far more important than publicity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Society isnt harassing autistic people and trying to limit their rights.Although I dont like the trans being lumped into this category. Their agenda isnt really the same .
No but those of us with mental disabilities do get taken advantage of more easily and passed over for employment (which is why there are *some* organizations dedicated to finding work although they're very unhelpful). All minorities should be equally discussed because there are challenges to each of them.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:31 PM

14,647 posts, read 14,558,043 times
Why is this in the Politics forum?

Old 03-27-2017, 04:05 AM

88,726 posts, read 44,522,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Is the bathroom bill on the NC Republicans or the transgendered though?
It's on the transgenders. They're the ones who tried to force mixed anatomical sex changing and showering in multiple occupancy open school, park district, etc., changing/locker/shower rooms.

Note that it's always described as a "bathroom" bill, but people generally don't realize that the LGBT SJWs' agenda includes forcing mixed anatomical sex changing/locker/shower rooms, as well. Case in point in very liberal NYC...

Quote:
Girls from a swim team in New York City's Upper West Side are too scared to use the women's locker room at a Parks Department swimming pool. In March, a sign appeared noting that everyone has the the right to use the restroom or locker room consistent with their "gender identity or gender expression." Around the same time, the girls, who range in age from about seven to 18, became concerned after they saw a "bearded individual" in the women's changing room.

They are now using the family changing room to change in and out of their swimsuits, but it is not big enough for all 18 girls...

An employee at the center who spoke on condition of anonymity says the individual using the locker room appears to present as a man—wearing swim shorts or trunks to swim, with sideburns going down into a beard—which is partly what alarms the girls and their parents. Staff members have also been warned that asking individuals to prove their gender identity would be discriminatory. "Our hands are tied," the worker said. "We can't say anything about it."
Transgender Bathroom Laws: NYC Parents Balk and Ask, Locker Rooms Too? | Time.com

LGBT SJWs pushed way too far on this and the backlash has lost the LGBT community a lot of the sympathy for and support of their cause they used to have. Even otherwise very liberal NYCers aren't on board with the LGBT SJWs' agenda when it turns out their own daughters are negatively impacted.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:59 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,498,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
OP, you've been led by "the media" to think that half the population is gay?
Heck yeah, they've gotten me to question even myself!

Old 03-27-2017, 08:59 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,462,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
We all know no one is forcing you to do anything. You can rant about them all you want and the government won't touch you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Huh? How are you forced to pretend?

If they want to get physical because I made fun of them for being a freak, I go to jail for a "hate crime"
So, I am forced to play pretend, that they are not freaks of nature.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:03 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,422,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If they want to get physical because I made fun of them for being a freak, I go to jail for a "hate crime"
So, I am forced to play pretend, that they are not freaks of nature.
Help, I'm being oppressed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies