Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 02:15 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Wow ... no words

This is absurd beyond belief. If I was Merkel I would have upped and left right there. This guy Trump needs to learn some manners.
Just shows Trump's narcissism. Furthermore, President Trump is basically going to isolate the USA from the rest of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 02:23 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Wow ... no words

This is absurd beyond belief. If I was Merkel I would have upped and left right there. This guy Trump needs to learn some manners.
Yes, honoring your commitments is for suckers.

I love it, another unnamed source.

You dems are getting really desperate, your attacks have been quite pathetic since the Russian conspircy theory fell apart, and it was confirmed that Trump was in fact spied on.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:44 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Fine with me.
At least we aren't looking like Chumps.

Oh, America looks like a chump to the rest of the world for having enough mindless voters to elect someone like Trump. That ship has sailed.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:45 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Merkel should treat that bill the exact same way Trump does with his contractors bills.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:54 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,699,705 times
Seriously? Is trump in a position to submit a bill to anyone on behalf of NATO? I don't think so. It appears that they have their own people for that.

http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/topics_67655.htm

Old 03-26-2017, 03:09 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Just shows Trump's narcissism. Furthermore, President Trump is basically going to isolate the USA from the rest of the world.
Not exactly. Russia is our new best friend. It's a good thing that Putin is not a jack booted thug like the protesters in California.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:11 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Germany can't just suddenly double their defence spending, as much of the money would go to waste.

This week, German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen announced that she wants to spend €130 billion ($140 billion) on defense equipment until 2030 — increasing the overall defense spending by €3-4 billion annually over the next 15 years writes Christian Mölling. The bold announcement was actually the latest step in a longer-term plan by the German government to reverse the decline of the defense budget. But though the budget increase is analytically wrong, it is politically right.

By increasing the budget without demanding greater efficiency, von der Leyen could actually be making things worse: a new influx of money could undermine attempts to get a bigger bang for the German taxpayer’s buck.

A third critical factor is time. The experience of recent years has shown that wasteful defense expenditure — for example procurement of the wrong materiel, which later had to be adapted to the actual operational environment — can only be corrected slowly. The root causes of the mess in which the Bundeswehr finds itself today go back 15 to 20 years. It takes years to make even the smallest projects efficient and thus to release resources that can be used for other tasks.

More dramatic upward or downward shifts only waste additional money: if the budget rises too fast, money will be spent without any real increase in capabilities; if it decreases, projects will have to be cancelled and investment wasted. Both undermine political legitimacy and national security.

Germany

But no big deal. Hope Italy, Austria, Hungary and Romania will increase their defence budgets a lot too, and then we have the old bros back in business again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCducL04Iv0

Old 03-26-2017, 03:12 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Should of told all those NATO countries that they were slime prior to begging them to fight for you in Afghanistan and then Iraq.
The only time article 5 was ever invoked was by the US because they wanted their European NATO allies to defend them, not the other way around. Europe is not mooching off of the US at all.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:14 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Seriously? Is trump in a position to submit a bill to anyone on behalf of NATO? I don't think so. It appears that they have their own people for that.

http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/topics_67655.htm

hmmmm. Not so much on behalf of NATO as behalf of the US for covering a shortfall. Least that's how I see it. lol, Diplomatically, yea, it falls rather short. But it does have the advantage of making a point. Moren' one actually. Think about what we the US spend annually being the world policeman. How much our military is used in "humanitarian and peacekeeping" roles, that Democrats seem to heavily support, as do NATO nations, when the money and resources we spend on those missions could e used here at home to far better good.

If we would (or could) withdraw from being the worlds police force (which often protects European interests more than our own) we might be able to actually fix our health care system and build one that really does provide quality medical care. We might be able to seriously reduce the problem of homelessness, maybe even come up with things that actually put a dent in violent crime.

Our infrastructure always seems to be a bone to pick when funding is discussed. There's another area where the shortfalls in NATO and the UN that we have been picking up the slack for could be utilized. Though this was indeed a most undiplomatic methodology, I can see a valid point in play here. One I have been pondering how to approach for some time. lol, but hey Trump done did it. Didn't he,,,

Old 03-26-2017, 03:15 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Not exactly. Russia is our new best friend. It's a good thing that Putin is not a jack booted thug like the protesters in California.
Please tell me this is sarcasm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies