Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 10:10 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times

Advertisements

The Freedom Caucus is going to be a thorn in the GOP's side on every piece of legislation going forward. Now that they have successfully tanked the healthcare bill and all of those taxes associated with the ACA are not going away, there will be less money to work with to pass the Republicans' beloved tax cut for the rich, and the Freedom Caucus is already saying there must be corresponding cuts somewhere else before they will agree to any tax cuts.

So...how deeply will the GOP cut into social programs to appease these fanatics? And how much will that hurt their own poor constituents? Just imagine the town halls in their future. And will anything that is too draconian get through the Senate?

This caucus is going to keep the GOP from moving their agenda forward. As much as I can't stand this holier-than-thou group, I can't say I'm sorry to see them disrupting the GOP's plans so thoroughly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 10:39 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
We know there are people who are poor and have no insurance. Always been that way. Now we have been invaded by anchor babies and illegals. Guess what drove health care costs up?

States always had to deal with it. Keep it out of the Federal government. Their job is to protect and defend.
I support enforcing our borders but that doesn't address my question.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:52 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Default First casualty for House Freedom Caucus after health care meltdown

Well at least one of them has come around.

Quote:
Rep. Ted Poe (R-Texas), who resigned Sunday from the conservative House Freedom Caucus, criticized the group Monday, saying some of its members would vote against the Ten Commandments.
"The Freedom Caucus has always been the opposition caucus ... and now, when we are in the majority, it continues to be the opposition caucus against anything in the Republican Party," Poe said on CNN's "New Day."
"We had not been included in the past, but we were included in the healthcare replacement bill."

.................................................. ......................
There's some members of the Freedom Caucus, they'd vote no against the Ten Commandments if it came up for a vote," Poe said.

Poe: Some Freedom Caucus members would vote against Ten Commandments | TheHill

Old 03-27-2017, 10:59 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Republicans loved the Koch brother when they funded the whole party . Now they are the bad guys because they do not back Trump but the Freedom Caucus.

Republicans fractured party is a problem for me. I find it hard to think about supporting a party that does not have a very clear mandate at all and is so divided.
There seems to be some confusion even among Trumps base, and along with Freedom Caucus types there are libertarians who seem to believe that his agenda is a pure free market system. I don't see it, that is not how he ran. They want him to tear it all down to some type of capitalist/anarchist level and most Americans certainly do not want that.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:08 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,921,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Uh...the insurance companies wrote Obamacare.

This is how things work in DC.

Don't expect congress to do anything about healthcare until they are forced to do something.
It didn't start that way; as you might recall, there were strong Democratic advocates for a single payer system, but the Republicans made that idea dead on arrival. To get something done, Obama was forced to sell out to the insurance conglomerates, with the resulting 1000 page mess that is the ACA. We are all under the boot of corporate health care, and as far as I can tell we always will be. You can mark the end of the American dream at the same time as corporations gained the same rights as individual citizens.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:56 AM

37,952 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Reading this article, I was amazed that grown people in congress would be playing games that most of us outgrew after Kindergarten. This so-called Freedom Caucus made a pact among themselves, that no one of them would make a commitment to vote to pass the ACA legislation, unless they consulted with the group and had their permission.

I wonder how the constituents of these individuals feel, when they realize their interests are not being represented, but rather those of an independent, renegade group, with its own, contrary agenda. Their jobs are supposed to be to promote the well-being of their own constituents and also those of the country as a whole. I don't like any of these self-organized coalitions, that are attempts to gain more power for the self-interests of these politicians.

How a secret Freedom Caucus pact brought down Obamacare repeal - POLITICO
It wasn't a secret pact. Republicans ran on appealing Obamacare. Obamacare is a failure and your post is a joke.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:57 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
How many of the Ten Commandments do you suppose the individual members of the anarchist conspiracy that is the Freedom Caucus, actually follow in their own lives?

Old 03-27-2017, 12:06 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It wasn't a secret pact. Republicans ran on appealing Obamacare. Obamacare is a failure and your post is a joke.
The ACA has failed only to the extent that it has been sabotaged by the Republicans, ever since it was introduced in the early days of the Obama Administration. It was the best program the Democrats could squeeze by that obstruction. One of the biggest frauds of the Republicans, is to blame its faults and limitations on the Democrats, when in fact, they caused them all, in their relentless campaign to destroy it from the beginning.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:44 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
It didn't start that way; as you might recall, there were strong Democratic advocates for a single payer system, but the Republicans made that idea dead on arrival. To get something done, Obama was forced to sell out to the insurance conglomerates, with the resulting 1000 page mess that is the ACA. We are all under the boot of corporate health care, and as far as I can tell we always will be. You can mark the end of the American dream at the same time as corporations gained the same rights as individual citizens.
Citizen's United is a bum deal.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:13 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
How many of the Ten Commandments do you suppose the individual members of the anarchist conspiracy that is the Freedom Caucus, actually follow in their own lives?
It's about defending the rights of the individual. Nothing to do with ones private life. You big government freaks need to keep your nose out of the peoples private lives. That is the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies