Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 06:41 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,661 times

Advertisements

Thanks. This proves my point. They are only counting a portion of what the feds spend. There is no mention of military spending for example, of which CA gets a huge amount of compared to most States. The US has year after year been incurring trillion dollar deficits. No State pays in more than they receive back in Federal spending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 06:43 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
California is a force that Trump really does not understand and should not mess with. It is the 6th largest economy in the world, has about 40 million people , and a GDP of about $2.4 Trillion.
And yet California can't afford to fund single-payer health care for its residents. Hmmmm...

California Gov. Jerry Brown on paying for universal healthcare: "How do you do that?" - LA Times

Old 03-26-2017, 06:52 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I'm very much against illegal immigration. My wife immigrated here and we did it legally through the correct channels. That being said, I sat down and tried to put myself in the place of the illegal aliens. What would I do in their position? I'd do the same thing, try to get here any way possible for a better life, especially if it's for the benefit of my family. The problem is that we just can't support everyone that wants to come. How many people could any of us support if they came to live in our homes? Not many, it's just not practical or sustainable. That's what the pro illegal immigration people either don't understand or don't want to admit.

You say that some view all illegal immigrants as killers and rapists. Of course they aren't, but what about the ones that are? What really baffles me is the mentality of the sanctuary cities that refuse to hand over criminals to ICE when they want them for deportation. That's just crazy.

Brown is nuts. The legislature in California is more concerned about illegal immigrants than the citizens here. And there have been raids in LA and other parts of California. I don't see Brown or the other legislators doing anything about it. It's all bluster. That includes some posters here that brag about "Californians protecting the illegals". It's not happening.
The problem with CA is that without illegals and their children, many towns and cities would dry up and blow away losing a significant percentage of their population. That's why CA politicians they fight tooth and nail to keep every one of them there. CA would lose seats in Congress as well as having fewer votes in the Electoral College. They've replaced the middle class in much of the state as the middle class has left in huge exodus. The City of Santa Ana recently admitted that over 40% of their population are not citizens. Anyone that thinks illegals are there just to pick grapes and clean toilets needs a realty check. There aren't that many grapes and vegetables in the entire state nor toilets that need cleaning.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:55 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Here is the reality of the immigrant situation in California. They contribute significantly to the economy, primarily by doing labor we Americans are too lazy and too good to do.
Surprise, surprise... yet another racist lefty who thinks the brown-skinned folks only pick crops, mow lawns, and clean toilets.

Meanwhile, here's what we NON-racists know about the jobs illegal aliens are taking from Americans:

Quote:
Where Illegal Aliens Work, By Industry - Washington Post

Old 03-26-2017, 07:05 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Here is the reality of the immigrant situation in California. They contribute significantly to the economy, primarily by doing labor we Americans are too lazy and too good to do. Right now, lettuce is rotting in fields because the immigrants are afraid to come to work because the might be arrested and deported. California, and a lot of other States, depend on these folks and will suffer if they are gone. We will all be paying higher prices for food because there will be a shortage caused by their absence.

Contrary to what a lot of people want you to believe, the vast majority of these illegals are not murderers, drug dealers, and rapists. They simply want a better life and are willing to work harder than a lot of us to do that.

A piece of paper does not make them any better, it only makes them "legal". If you want to solve the problem of illegal aliens, make their path to citizenship easier and the problem will go away. Oh yeah, but you Trumpees prefer to view them as despicable human beings who are Hellbent on killing and raping us.
Don, I know you mean well, but you obviously don't have a clue. That's all I can say because your post is just chock full of fantasy thinking including the childish name calling. I wish you lived or worked in let's say a city like Santa Ana and got first hand experience in this topic. I dare say you'd change your tune right quick.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:20 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,661 times
Quote:
Here is the reality of the immigrant situation in California. They contribute significantly to the economy, primarily by doing labor we Americans are too lazy and too good to do. Right now, lettuce is rotting in fields because the immigrants are afraid to come to work because the might be arrested and deported. California, and a lot of other States, depend on these folks and will suffer if they are gone. We will all be paying higher prices for food because there will be a shortage caused by their absence.

Contrary to what a lot of people want you to believe, the vast majority of these illegals are not murderers, drug dealers, and rapists. They simply want a better life and are willing to work harder than a lot of us to do that.

A piece of paper does not make them any better, it only makes them "legal". If you want to solve the problem of illegal aliens, make their path to citizenship easier and the problem will go away. Oh yeah, but you Trumpees prefer to view them as despicable human beings who are Hellbent on killing and raping us.
There is a legal path towards citizenship already in place. More than a million people come into the country legally every year on that path. The illegals just chose to skip that path by trying to jump the line so to speak. They don't get to change the rules in that manner.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:36 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,372,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
My comments in red.

Can you translate the last paragraph for those of us who aren't smoking legal weed ?
WHOA~~ First off I don't smoke week and haven't for over 40 years.. BUT what I do have is common sense. Whenever the largest STATE contrives on so many levels and their citizens are willing to pay Tax dollars to assist ( referendums voted on by voters) in meeting $$ necessary.. I have to LOL when bloggers constantly demonize American Citizens who happen to believe DIFFERENTLY than you do..

Last paragraph is self-explanatory really.. But then again inability to realize that California for now actually coastal covers mostly 75% of the West Coast. Guess you didn't know that...

Smoking weed isn't the sin nor the demonizing tool it once was.. Tho I don't indulge... I do know multi-millions who actually survive because of constant PAIN due to multi-diseases... Cancer Patients, Seizure Patients ( including kids) + a multitude of things lay people have no clue about the benefits. Medical Marijuana isn't anything like you in your own head thinks. But, I won't waste my type time to try and explain it to those who are so dug into mis-information about it!!

Old 03-26-2017, 08:00 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Dang, my state only ranks 7th.

What's funny is that all of those states that have so many illegal immigrants are absolutely crushing it economically. Those with fewer, not so much. Seems like all these floundering states could use some.
Congratulations on getting cause and effect 180 degrees bass ackwards. Illegals follow prosperity; they don't cause it.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:15 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Jerry Brown is a warped thinker. Who can possibly care what he thinks.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:22 PM

130 posts, read 71,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Surprise, surprise... yet another racist lefty who thinks the brown-skinned folks only pick crops, mow lawns, and clean toilets.

Meanwhile, here's what we NON-racists know about the jobs illegal aliens are taking from Americans:

Where Illegal Aliens Work, By Industry - Washington Post
Millennial here. I have cleaned many toilets, and worked agriculture temp jobs too. I cooked fries, i cut grass. Now I have a college degree and there are no jobs. All my friends with college degrees are either cleaning toilets too, or working some crap job like selling vitamins at the mall. The people who say American's are too lazy to work crappy jobs are out of touch and don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. It's insulting and pathetic attempt at justifying illegal aliens stealing jobs and lowering wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies