Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 02:40 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
My question - They get free housing, clothing, food, medical care, education, computers, internet, and legal assistance. Aside from having the freedom to pay for those things themselves, what is the advantage of being an honest, law abiding, tax paying citizen?
The luck of being born in a free nation is completely wasted on some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 02:46 PM

21,132 posts, read 19,707,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I agree with this. Prison is a dog-eat-dog world. The biggest problem is not how you are treated by the correctional officers, but how you get along with other prisoners. It's no walk in the park.
True. Solitary confinement is the way to go. If I were a homeless person with no future, I would definitly consider the expense paid trip to the Big House.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:47 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Indiana inmates could have computer tablets by the end of the year. They would be used for educational purposes, accessing self help materials, communication with family, entertainment, paying commissary bills, etc. Authorities hope that a vendor will pay from them up front, and that they will be reimbursed when inmates order movies and music.

My question - They get free housing, clothing, food, medical care, education, computers, internet, and legal assistance. Aside from having the freedom to pay for those things themselves, what is the advantage of being an honest, law abiding, tax paying citizen?

More in the link here:

Indiana inmates could have computer tablets by end of year | WANE
If you call an 8x4 cell with a roommate that may or may not be a killer a "house", if you consider jump suits or prison garb as clothing, the food to be something to be envious of, if you consider the fact that the "medical care" is a complete and utter joke and too many times the inmates are not granted medical care because guards or other staff think the inmate is lying, and if you think their dental program is "great" meaning that if you have a tooth problem, they don't fix it, they yank it out, and if you think their education system is worth a damn, and if you think that their computers have internet access to the world wide web, and if you think their 'legal assistance' does them any good, by all means, consider them "getting all kinds of perks", then I guess prison is for you.

Some prisons are better than others as far as amenities and opportunities, but if you enjoy being told that you only get to have a single bar of soap, shared between you and your cell mate, if you enjoy having your room ripped apart at any time, and you have to put it back together, if you enjoy being told you can only have so many photos of your friends and family, only so many books checked out, only so many pairs of shoes, you lose all that identifies you otherwise, then prison is for you. If you don't mind that no matter how much you might be craving a chocolate chip cookie and cool glass of milk you will never get it, then prison is for you. If you don't mind having to watch your back on a daily basis because you never know who is going to try to steal from you, beat you up, shank you, etc, then prison is for you.

To insinuate that inmates have it good...I'm getting tired of reading it and hearing it. No. They don't. I wish people would stop using these arguments as some kind of proof that inmates are living the good life on the back of taxpayers. No. They aren't. On the flipside, it's not "inhumane treatment" either. F them, they deserve their prison sentences.

The advantage to being a law abiding citizen is that we can go outside whenever we want. We can hop in our car and take a drive whenever we want. We can zip through a fast food drive, or go out to eat at a nice restaurant whenever we want. We don't have to room with a murderer or child molestor. We can pick and choose what we want to wear. We get far, far better healthcare at the E/R than they do in the prison. Their education is far worse than what we can get. Their computers are not the latest and again, they don't have access to all of the programs or even full internet access, if they even have internet access which most do not. Legal assistance from a public defender is probably not the way to go and certainly nothing to be jealous of in any way.

I'm not fond of inmates getting a tablet, but what are we going to do about it?

Old 03-27-2017, 02:50 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Overblown. Minimum security in a decent prison isn't so bad if you are a minimalist and learn the hierarchy. I know someone who did about a year and biggest complaint was boredom and no computer.
Good luck getting a decent job once you get out. Or an apartment. Or a significant other. Being self employed and owning a home would pretty much be a necessity once out because most place wouldn't want to hire you and most decent places wouldn't want to rent to you.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:06 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Prison is for punishment. No amenities, no weight rooms, no TV. 365-days a year staring at a wall until your release.
And what do bored inmates do? Cause massive problems, up to and including riots that can result in serious injury and death, not only to other inmates, but also prison guards.

You do NOT want bored inmates, and you can only work them so many hours a day.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:12 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,542 times
Quote:
Indiana inmates could have computer tablets by the end of the year. They would be used for educational purposes, accessing self help materials, communication with family, entertainment, paying commissary bills, etc. Authorities hope that a vendor will pay from them up front, and that they will be reimbursed when inmates order movies and music.

More in the link here:

Indiana inmates could have computer tablets by end of year | WANE
It's interesting that you seem to value material possession and services over freedom of... anything. Very interesting...

The prison system in this country is effed for a lot of reasons, mainly the profit motive. Consider who profits off of things like this and be upset about that, not that prisoners have free housing (a usually poorly taken care of cell that they share with at least one other person... cozy...), clothing (a jumpsuit), food (it's not good food), medical care (everyone should have that... so...), and so on. And most prisons do not have internet or computers, and all people are entitled to legal assistance. Pro bono lawyers and public lawyers are available to anyone for relatively little. And frankly, we should look at what brings recidivism down and makes us all safer (including the prisoner) and do that. If that means computer access or whatever, I say go for it. But I want those to be the motives, not the "I want money and laws are for people" motives.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:16 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Good luck getting a decent job once you get out. Or an apartment. Or a significant other. Being self employed and owning a home would pretty much be a necessity once out because most place wouldn't want to hire you and most decent places wouldn't want to rent to you.
Yes I would think conservatives would want prisoners to get education and job training so there's less of a chance they can't get a job and continue to be a burden on society when they're released.

We should have a lot fewer people going to prison anyway, especially for drug offenses. The numbers decreased under Obama but I'm expecting an increase in for - profit prisons under trump. He owes some people some favors.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:27 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
There is a type of person who always lives off of other people or the system. They don't want responsibilities. They will find a "friend", family member or dumb girlfriend to take care of them. They will move back in with mommy and live off her till she dies then get her house, move a girlfriend in and have her pay the bills. All the guy needs is a guitar and some charm. The world of these petty loser criminals is all about scams and manipulation pulling things off on people. Prison is just another game. They make lemonade out of lemons and steal the rest.
This stupid woman was waiting for her prison boyfriend to get out, she was older, she sent him all kinds of stuff and money, then when he gets out it turns out he had other women waiting for him so he had his pick.
Giving them computers is just another perk they don't deserve.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:16 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
And what do bored inmates do? Cause massive problems, up to and including riots that can result in serious injury and death, not only to other inmates, but also prison guards.

You do NOT want bored inmates, and you can only work them so many hours a day.
Dead on.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:44 PM

624 posts, read 370,743 times
Majority of inmates would rather be locked up than on the streets. The diabetic inmates all they do is sip coffee and watch tv all day.
Inmates who committed murder never gave me a problem it's the ones who committed fraud are the worst to deal with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies