Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 10:05 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times

Advertisements

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/artic...ampaign=global

Quote:
According to dominant stereotypes, men can't be sexually assaulted by women. But according to a new, wide-ranging study, around two-thirds of men who report sexual victimization say their assailant was female.
Quote:
Stemple has long focused her research on how sexual violence against men goes under-reported. In 2014, she released a paper on male victims of sexual violence which analyzed several national surveys and found that, when taking into account cases where men were "made to penetrate" someone else, the rates of nonconsensual sexual contact between men and women were basically equal: 1.267 million men said they had been victims of sexual violence, compared with 1.270 million women.

The "made to penetrate" category is not the type of violation we imagine when we think of sexual assault, as Slate's Hanna Rosin wrote in a piece on Stemple's research in 2014. But it can result in similar psychological and physical effects, including sexual dysfunction, depression, loss of self-esteem, and long-term relationship difficulties.
I'm not surprised that male sexual assault is underreported and underresearched. But I am surprised at just how equal the numbers of male and female assault victims appear to be. I know women can be just as violent, manipulative and controlling as men, so I guess I shouldn't be *that* shocked. I'm happy this study was done and I hope researchers continue to put a focus on men's health issues too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 10:50 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/artic...ampaign=global

I'm not surprised that male sexual assault is underreported and underresearched. But I am surprised at just how equal the numbers of male and female assault victims appear to be. I know women can be just as violent, manipulative and controlling as men, so I guess I shouldn't be *that* shocked. I'm happy this study was done and I hope researchers continue to put a focus on men's health issues too.

Now that is interesting. "Made to penetrate" covers a broad range of situations beyond penile type. That sexual assault ( actual "rape") would be equal between men and women with each being assaulted by respective members of the opposite sex does not fit any model that is readily accepted by society. I'll admit it's tough for me to picture. "Under reported" is an understatement considering those numbers.

When we think of "male rape" it tends to bring an image of homosexual assault. I.E. such as in prison. Of course the same thing happens in women's prisons as well, but we're not talking about that sort of situation. If this study is even remotely close to accurate, there's a huge hidden problem. Thus the "hidden epidemic" in the thread title. If such a case were to hit court somewhere it stands to reason the media would be all over it. So if any man HAS reported such an assault it's being dismissed pretty much out of hand. It would be hard for a man to prove "rape". Next to impossible. At least in a case of "made to penetrate." I'm thinking that police would be very hesitant to even investigate such a charge or even accept a statement alleging such.

Quite the quandary.....

Old 03-27-2017, 11:03 AM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
I don't trust your source, they reference the CDC but not a specific data. There is a pdf file with violence against males but can't open on the CDC website. I would expect violence against both genders is under reported.

Quote:
Sexual violence (SV) is a significant problem in the United States. SV refers to sexual activity when consent is not obtained or not given freely. Anyone can experience SV, but most victims are female. The person responsible for the violence is typically male and usually someone known to the victim. The person can be, but is not limited to, a friend, coworker, neighbor, or family member

https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/sexualviolence/

Last edited by Goodnight; 03-27-2017 at 11:24 AM..

Old 03-27-2017, 11:15 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
The author says she includes inmates.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:18 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Here is the source paper: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4062022/

Figure 2 shows that male rape/assault is largely confined to the detainee/prison population - over 90% of all cases.

"Using adjusted numbers from the detainee surveys, we roughly estimate that more than 900 000 sexual victimization incidents were committed against incarcerated males"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...2/figure/fig2/

Old 03-27-2017, 11:28 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
How does a woman rape a man? I am on the small side for guys and I am pretty certain I could fight off just about most women barring maybe an IFBB pro female bodybuilder on steroids ... which case I would probably just run away. Muscle is heavy.

The only way I can think this happens is if the guy is somehow incapacitated (ie: drugged) beforehand. Look, I know it's become more common and accepted for women to work out and be muscular but the average woman still can't match the average man. They would need some kind of assistance.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:32 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Consider this. Paternity test on The Maury Show. Had this been a 13 year old girl pregnant by 20 year old man, no Maury episode. Said man would be behind bars and possibly killed in prison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy4wfjogWwQ

Old 03-27-2017, 12:19 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times
Unless you are talking about underage young males with adult women, I cannot believe any of this. Are you some guy with a fantasy?

Old 03-27-2017, 12:26 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,008 times
All I can think of is a woman holding a gun on a man and saying "Get it up or I'll shoot it off".
Not sure how many men would be able to "comply"....

Old 03-27-2017, 12:26 PM

36,520 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't trust your source, they reference the CDC but not a specific data. There is a pdf file with violence against males but can't open on the CDC website. I would expect violence against both genders is under reported.

https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/sexualviolence/
That entire article was very vague and confusing.
After reading the link I still don't know what they really mean by "made to penetrate".
She states it is not the type of violation we imagine.
And she talks of nonconsensual sexual contact being equal between men and women.
Where does rape fit into this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies