Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 01:52 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
When I was growing up, everything was GOOD!
Now, everything is BAD!
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!
Yeah what else is new. OP's parents called them slackers with no future, how about that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 01:57 PM

526 posts, read 386,209 times
Kids today are so goddam spoiled. When I was their age I had to work, now all they do is play video games..." Who bought them the video game? What did you think they were going to do with it? Trade it for a calculus tutor? Who spoils them? Maybe you're not to blame if they turn to meth, but who else could be to blame if they're spoiled? "The problem with kids today..." Stop right there, I'll finish: is parents today. Parents today suck. I've checked. The Illuminati let me see the CCTV from every American household and in all of them everyone is in separate rooms staring at a glowing lie.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:02 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserSeneca View Post
Kids today are so goddam spoiled. When I was their age I had to work, now all they do is play video games..." Who bought them the video game? What did you think they were going to do with it? Trade it for a calculus tutor? Who spoils them? Maybe you're not to blame if they turn to meth, but who else could be to blame if they're spoiled? "The problem with kids today..." Stop right there, I'll finish: is parents today. Parents today suck. I've checked. The Illuminati let me see the CCTV from every American household and in all of them everyone is in separate rooms staring at a glowing lie.
I'm a millennial, and I've worked since I've legally been allowed to do so, for the maximum number of hours permitted until I moved out at 17 and worked full time ever since.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:03 PM

1,640 posts, read 794,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Now you can go to ‘Adulting School.’ Yes, really | New York Post

Yes, don't actually try "adulting" by finding resources on your own to learn, pay us for "happy hour workshops" that will teach you how to make a cocktail. Or you could pay for a "summit" to teach you how to meditate.

Every $20 and $30, plus monthly subscription fees makes this place a joke when people can easily, and I mean EASILY find answers to just about any topic they could possibly want to know.

Folding fitted sheets? Creating cocktails? Changing a flat tire? Finding out how much money you have? Seriously? All you have to do is type those phrases into Google or YouTube, or call your bank for money questions, and you have your answer, FREE of charge.

Here, let me give you your first class in Adulting, for free!

Learn how to keep more money in your own wallet by not getting sucked up in to some flashy presentation with pretty words that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

You don't need to pay $20 to learn how to fold your laundry or make your bed.

Class dismissed.
I believe subscriptions are typical marketing practices. I would be surprised if people actually signed up for this kind of stuff, but I'm not surprised that people do not know how to manage basic household chores (changing their own oil, fixing an appliance/basic home repair, READING A MAP lol). And it's not just millennials.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:06 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What's the difference. It points the finger at parents who didn't do their job to teach their kids to be independent.
If the millennials run into problems and are willing to admit they need some help in certain areas, that in itself shows a sense of maturity and introspection and they should be fine. The ones who resist and blame the world because they are afraid to fail at anything are in trouble.
I agree with this. I squandered my entire twenties because my helicopter parents did not want to let go. I am still trying to recover from that, despite the significant personal growth I've experienced since my 30th birthday.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:08 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Sounds like to me baby boomers failed them, which is ironic because it's baby boomers who complain about millennials the most I ask that because the newest crop of 18 year olds are millennials anymore. Last ones were born in 2000. Millennials usually are from 1980-2000. So, the median aged millennial is mid 20s.
Some are really stuck, and parents of the younger generation are still doing it. I cannot tap into the mentality of never making the kids do any chores or give responsibilities, which are lessons for adult life. Some parents, especially mothers, act almost as slaves to their kids. They seem to want other people also tolerate anything their kids do. I can't process how it happens.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:10 PM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Has anyone ever hears of these? Are we really at the point that we have to teach this generation
how to grow up and be adults?

‘Adulting’ classes prove millennials’ nitwit parents are to blame | New York Post
Didn't that use to be called High School?

Old 03-27-2017, 02:11 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,184 times
Yes yes, point fingers at the younger generation you raised but fail to point any finger at yourself. Sounds about par for the course.

Maybe we can rack up another few trillion in debt for corporate and military interests just for good measure. We've been living in one of the best times, most profitable times and we have nothing but debt, dead soldiers and crumbling infrastructure to show for it. Someone else's fault though.

If nothing else, people are consistent. Make sure the next time you go out to eat you drop your pants and defecate on the plate. You can try and blame someone else there as well for the mess you made but refuse to fix or acknowledge. If nothing else consistent, stupid, but consistent.

Last edited by aridon; 03-27-2017 at 02:28 PM..

Old 03-27-2017, 02:28 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
I have 5 Millenial children. I used to worry about them being too sheltered but in the end they found their way. But American parents aren't what we used to be.

My daughter dated a boy in high school who was the son of Russian immigrants. Very nice kid, spoke English and Russian fluently. He missed the A honor roll senior year and his parents refused to attend the graduation because of it. His old man was so tough on him.

The kid served two tours in Iraq and Afghanistan in the Marines and completed a BA degree in Psychology while he was deployed. He's now in the FBI or CIA. That's what a tough old man who cares about you gets.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:34 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Sounds like to me baby boomers failed them, which is ironic because it's baby boomers who complain about millennials the most I ask that because the newest crop of 18 year olds are millennials anymore. Last ones were born in 2000. Millennials usually are from 1980-2000. So, the median aged millennial is mid 20s.
Late boomers and early Gen X failed them. We are their parents. I think Gen X was left alone so much that they overcompensated with their own kids, plus technology and fear of letting kids be outside without supervision when they're young has contributed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies