Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2017, 01:55 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,780,183 times

Advertisements

Depending on the poll, support for medical marijuana ranges from the high 70s to the low 90s. There is even strong and growing support for it in conservative Southern states. However, you would never know it judging from the stance most GOP politicians take on the issue.

There are two big factors at play here. The first is the religious right. The religious right is the base of the GOP and they strongly oppose recreational marijuana and oppose medical marijuana because they see it as a stepping stone to recreational use and don't see it as a legitimate form of medicine. Here is a link that exemplifies one of the huge hurdles to getting medical marijuana in the Bible Belt.

Kentucky Southern Baptist leader blasts medical marijuana bill | Lexington Herald-Leader

The second is of course the pharmaceutical industry lobbyists. However, if it wasn't for the solid opposition from the religious right over any relaxation of marijuana laws, I don't think they alone would be able to define the party's position. It all comes down to the religious right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 03:04 PM

30,226 posts, read 23,649,798 times
I wouldn't have a problem with it if the simple following 2 things would happen:

1) I would be able to walk out of my house, at any time, morning or night, and be able to to enjoy the scents after a rainfall, or the early morning air, or the chill of night instead of f-en pot stench every single time. Every. Single. Time. It smells like garbage from a dumpster rotting for 2 weeks. It amazes me that the left complained for years about "having to smell cigarette smoke" but says nothing about the disgusting putrid stench of marijuana, nor do they care about other people who get headaches from it all. But boy did they complain about cigarette smell. Hypocrites.

2) Do not drive after smoking, and stop pretending that it doesn't affect your driving ability. STOP. If all MJ pushers would just be honest that yes, it does affect your driving, then I'd be more inclined to accept that they want to smoke it because they can't deal with reality and need something to "calm me down, man".

I have zero respect for anyone who uses MJ for recreational use, never will, but I would support 100% if the above 2 things were done. Because most cannot stop filling the air with their vile odors, and because too many think driving after smoking it is okay, ("but alcohol, man!!!" as if that negates the fact that MJ DOES impair your driving...and spare me the bs "studies" because I am living proof that it DOES), then I can't fully support it.

I don't mind if people want to take drugs and destroy themselves...knock yourselves out, but don't ask me to stay silent about how much pot smokers stink and how stupid they are when they think it doesn't impair them at all. And I'm not "religious" so there goes that claim.

Old 03-27-2017, 03:23 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,632,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with it if the simple following 2 things would happen:

1) I would be able to walk out of my house, at any time, morning or night, and be able to to enjoy the scents after a rainfall, or the early morning air, or the chill of night instead of f-en pot stench every single time. Every. Single. Time. It smells like garbage from a dumpster rotting for 2 weeks. It amazes me that the left complained for years about "having to smell cigarette smoke" but says nothing about the disgusting putrid stench of marijuana, nor do they care about other people who get headaches from it all. But boy did they complain about cigarette smell. Hypocrites.

2) Do not drive after smoking, and stop pretending that it doesn't affect your driving ability. STOP. If all MJ pushers would just be honest that yes, it does affect your driving, then I'd be more inclined to accept that they want to smoke it because they can't deal with reality and need something to "calm me down, man".

I have zero respect for anyone who uses MJ for recreational use, never will, but I would support 100% if the above 2 things were done. Because most cannot stop filling the air with their vile odors, and because too many think driving after smoking it is okay, ("but alcohol, man!!!" as if that negates the fact that MJ DOES impair your driving...and spare me the bs "studies" because I am living proof that it DOES), then I can't fully support it.

I don't mind if people want to take drugs and destroy themselves...knock yourselves out, but don't ask me to stay silent about how much pot smokers stink and how stupid they are when they think it doesn't impair them at all. And I'm not "religious" so there goes that claim.
In all states (legal or not) it's against the law to do what you're complaining about.

You really smell pot smoke every time you walk outside? I think you're lying. And on the slim chance that you're not, why don't you call the police to put a stop to it?

Old 03-27-2017, 03:42 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,780,183 times
Quote:
That is already illegal in most locations. If you live in an apartment where a lot of people smoke marijuana, you might have to smell it occasionally. However, in most circumstances, you won't have to experience that, even in legal states.

Quote:
Statistically, stoned driving isn't as dangerous as drunk driving, but it is still dangerous. I agree that driving under the influence of cannabis should be illegal, whether the plant itself is legal or not.

Back to the question of medical marijuana and the GOP...I think it would be a huge step forward to at least see some progress in the area of MEDICAL marijuana among conservatives. I understand people's skepticism about recreational and I think we are still a few decades from it being legal nationwide. When 80-90% of the population supports medical though and the GOP is still fighting it to the end, I think a closer look at the issue is warranted.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:13 PM

526 posts, read 385,138 times
They'll come around when the old Baby Boomers croak.

I voted for legalization.

I live in Washington State. Commute by bike during the warm months. There are certain neighborhoods that I ride through where I smell weed in the morning and at night. Same areas, same type of people. Weed all the time.

I smell it a lot more often than I used to. There's certain areas where you know you will smell it. Lower income areas, the Frisbee golf course, skiing for some odd reason, places like that. People who are deep into weed stink like ****, they're like cigarette smokers in that aspect. It permeates their body and stinks up their clothes, house, and car.

Good stuff. When my mom got Vaginal cancer we spent some time getting her some brownies and cookies. She really like it, gave her immense relief. The budtenders are super helpful and knowledgeable.

I don't like the smell, but oh well. Smoke up potheads!

This one that Trump said should be decided by states, correct? I think the Fed should step out of the game and take it off the Schedule 1 list. Just back off and let the states decide.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:15 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,545,038 times
The government should have no say in an adult growing a plant and consuming it.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:23 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,219,449 times
To answer your question OP: money. The profit incentive for the big lobbyists needs to change and then the politicians who do their bidding (instead of their constituents...) will change their minds. Or we could do something radical: have an ethical political system... sadly, doing so will be called anti-capitalists by people who've may or may not even know who Adam Smith is.

Quote:

1) Not possible. Some things create a stench, from barbecue to cigarettes to diesel. I should be able to grill up some delicious burgers, smoke a joint, and run my diesel truck all at the same time on my property, regardless of my vegetarian, puritan, environmentalist neighbors disagreement with it.

2) Some pot actually really doesn't. Some does. Depends on the strain. I agree in general. One should not consume intoxicants while driving or immediately before driving. Not in doses enough to affect driving anyway.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:24 PM

30,226 posts, read 23,649,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
In all states (legal or not) it's against the law to do what you're complaining about.

You really smell pot smoke every time you walk outside? I think you're lying. And on the slim chance that you're not, why don't you call the police to put a stop to it?
Yes, I actually do smell pot smoke every single time I walk out my door. Apparently some people toke up before work, and that's what I'm met with every day when I take my dogs out first thing in the morning. At the end of the day, holy cripes it's everywhere. It's so fricken nasty. And yes, even on rainy days. We had a very rainy winter here, and I was so happy! I love rain. I went outside many times to stand in it and just breathe it all in...and all I got was mj stench. And despite some pretending that they know what I know, I know the difference between pot stench and gasoline, bbq, and diesel. It's pot.

No, it's not just one neighbor. There's a sidewalk on the street that leads up to some stores. I walk to the grocery store when I just need a few things. It's about half a mile away. I walk that entire sidewalk with my face covered because the apartments along that sidewalk apparently are occupied by pot smokers. Surely pot smoke doesn't linger from one single apartment up to a half mile away. There's MANY people in the complexes here that smoke pot. It's a huge complex, and almost everywhere you go, no matter what time of day, you're going to be hit in the face with that disgusting stench.

I live in CA. What do you think calling the police would do?

Old 03-27-2017, 05:38 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,563,675 times
The only benefit the GOP could have for me, would be to crack down on all marijuana use. The potheads are a growing menace on our roads and on the job, the sober people will have to shoulder all the work they botch or fail to complete on time.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:43 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,671,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Depending on the poll, support for medical marijuana ranges from the high 70s to the low 90s. There is even strong and growing support for it in conservative Southern states. However, you would never know it judging from the stance most GOP politicians take on the issue.

There are two big factors at play here. The first is the religious right. The religious right is the base of the GOP and they strongly oppose recreational marijuana and oppose medical marijuana because they see it as a stepping stone to recreational use and don't see it as a legitimate form of medicine. Here is a link that exemplifies one of the huge hurdles to getting medical marijuana in the Bible Belt.

Kentucky Southern Baptist leader blasts medical marijuana bill | Lexington Herald-Leader

The second is of course the pharmaceutical industry lobbyists. However, if it wasn't for the solid opposition from the religious right over any relaxation of marijuana laws, I don't think they alone would be able to define the party's position. It all comes down to the religious right.
I'm conservative, and I'm for it. So what else do I think that you haven't told me that I think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies