Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2017, 01:22 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Same here. I'm Christian, but I embrace the "Jesus said 'love your neighbor' so let's try to live that way" version of the faith rather than the "I am just salivating in ecstasy at the thought of the rest of you roasting in hell" take on the whole thing. I suspect you do, as well.

We are not persecuted in this country in any way, shape or form, and it's ridiculous to claim so. As a matter of fact, by our place as the dominant religion here, we are in the position to uphold justice for people who are denigrated because they are of a minority faith or race or background, and that's what we should be doing. That's what "love your neighbors" means.
Yes.

It is seriously sad how nasty this thread has gotten on both sides. I'm not crazy about people mocking my faith, but I'm not going to wish them in hell for it, either. I'm not even sure if hell, as described in popular imagery - an eternity of torture - exists. If it does, the last thing I want is for anyone, anyone at all, to end up there.

To fundamentalist Christians: please try to be a bit less hateful.

To hardcore atheists: we're not all fundamentalist Christians.

Peace.

Cat

Old 03-28-2017, 01:22 PM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Ape ancestry is a theory by godless people to message over the resurrection of Jesus.
You should write satire, sc. You are funny as hell. Oh that's right, Hell isn't funny!

Old 03-28-2017, 01:29 PM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
why would you bother believing in what you believe to be a 'false messiah'?
She doesn't. The poster is Jewish, and their religion has seen a number of false messiahs pop up over the centuries; that is to say, men who didn't meet the requirements believed to be those that Moshiach must fulfill in order to be known as the genuine person for whom the Jews wait.

Jews believe Jesus falls into that category. He did not meet the requirements of the Jewish messiah. Christians believe that Jesus was their messiah, but a different one from what the Jews anticipate. Hence the division between the two religions--you can't be waiting for a messiah and believe he has already come at the same time.

And then there are those who believe that all is going as it was supposed to--that Jesus came to lead the gentiles to the one true God, and that the Jews are to continue to follow Torah.

Then we've got Muslims, who believe that Jesus did not die but was taken bodily up into heaven and like Christians, expect that he will return someday.

A little knowledge goes a long way toward respecting one another even when we don't agree.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:35 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
She doesn't. The poster is Jewish, and their religion has seen a number of false messiahs pop up over the centuries; that is to say, men who didn't meet the requirements believed to be those that Moshiach must fulfill in order to be known as the genuine person for whom the Jews wait.

Jews believe Jesus falls into that category. He did not meet the requirements of the Jewish messiah. Christians believe that Jesus was their messiah, but a different one from what the Jews anticipate. Hence the division between the two religions--you can't be waiting for a messiah and believe he has already come at the same time.

And then there are those who believe that all is going as it was supposed to--that Jesus came to lead the gentiles to the one true God, and that the Jews are to continue to follow Torah.

Then we've got Muslims, who believe that Jesus did not die but was taken bodily up into heaven and like Christians, expect that he will return someday.

A little knowledge goes a long way toward respecting one another even when we don't agree.
And over 100K Jews in the US alone recognized that Jesus was the promised Messiah (spoken of in the OT), and now, as Messianic Jews, call themselves 'fulfilled' Jews and wait for His return, just as Christians do.

Thought I'd throw that in since you didn't have a category for this group.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:37 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
And over 100K Jews in the US alone recognized that Jesus was the promised Messiah (spoken of in the OT), and now, as Messianic Jews, call themselves 'fulfilled' Jews and wait for His return, just as Christians do.

Thought I'd throw that it since you didn't have a category for this group.
Yea... those are called Christians. Christians that follow Jewish cultural customs, but still Christians. Like a cross with one of those little hats on top.

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 03-28-2017 at 02:05 PM..

Old 03-28-2017, 01:48 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Brace yourself for the liberal onslaught in 3..2...1.....

Yes the Zombies are at the gate! That's OK Jesus Christ always wins and offers every lasting peace, something the Muslim Professor doesn't not understand.

However the bigger issue is the rights of the young man. The letter of the suspension sighting the student being hateful. When are we going to pull in Colleges?

After the parents and Student pay the Prof. Salary!

Old 03-28-2017, 01:48 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
What I haven't seen here is the speculation (possibly valid) that the Muslim professor has an agenda.

We have seen other cases where Muslims have claimed to be "afraid" of someone holding a position contrary to theirs. It may be politically motivated, as are some incidents here with regard to race or gender or orientation, for example, that are blown out of proportion for the purpose of garnering general public awareness and support.
The ACLU is always on standby for such.

We don't know in this case. There is a faction that wants to build sentiment toward prohibition of any anti-Islam talk, for to disagree with Islam is blasphemy.

Canada has just held a moratorium on the banning of anti-Muslim speech. It's not a bill but it may be a step toward that.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:52 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,827 times
Quote:

Messianic Jews are considered Christians by mainstream Judaism. In other words their beliefs are *not* Jewish nor apart of the Jewish religion.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:15 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:

I have no problem with Christians believing Christ is their Messiah. No skin off my back - we all end up in the same place in the end. But according to my faith, that belief is misplaced. As we can see in this thread, plenty of Christians think the same of my beliefs. That's cool. Unfortunately, I don't think all of them think we end up in the same place.

Quote:

That category is called "Christian." And there's quite the list of claimants to be the Messiah over the years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...siah_claimants. Jesus is nothing new!

Old 03-28-2017, 02:59 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, as long as you agree that you've dived into the Abyss of Absurdity on this issue, okay.
No...absurd is believing hearsay in the absence of eyewitness testimony. Jesus supposedly did a lot of miraculous things, but where is the historical account of those things by the locals who saw them occur?

And so the question must be asked: is it more likely that a man should lie or that nature will go out of its course? You know the answer. Nature has NEVER went out of its course in 51 years of my life.

So based on that alone, the Bible must be dismissed outright by reasonable people as an historical document. The fables, parables, and allegorical stories are nice and have modern day application, but that's all.

Without an author and no reliable information on who the authors and aggregators of these books are, I can't work with it. Not to mention that the books are somehow quite propitiously compiled and written in a way that gives (or gave) churches (and men) a whole heap of power that was so strong that even monarchies had to swear fealty to religious figures!

So nahhh. Miss me with all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies