Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2017, 02:01 PM

29,180 posts, read 22,196,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
The college campus is no longer becoming a place for free debates.

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/31853/
Did you check out the 'reporter's' credentials at the bottom of the page?
Phony, phony fake news at its most smelly. When any account only presents one side, you gotta know there is an agenda at work, especially when it comes to education as a topic.

Be careful. Too much of that garbage will make your brain sick.

According to the Orlando Sentinel, where Rollins College is located in a suburb, Polston, the student, clashed from the first day of class with his teacher, a woman, and as the class progressed, disrupted it constantly with loud interjections,monopolizing the class time.
After she gave one of his essays an F, he began to stalk her on the internet, and she felt threatened enough by them to file a protection order against him.

He claims he issued no threats, but his emails have a lot of thinly veiled comments that could be reasonably construed as threatening, with references to guns, christian militants, etc.

The college said it would never discharge a student who disagreed with a professor for disagreement alone, but after holding a meeting, decided to put him on temp suspension.

Since Rollins is the oldest recognized college in Florida, they have a record that proves that claim to be true.

So, there are two sides to the story, and the incident has not been settled yet. The college is having a private hearing on the matter right now, and the findings will take a while before a final decision is reached.

Rollins student, prof clashed for weeks in religion class - Orlando Sentinel

That's what you get if you bother to check real journalism, not passively suck up fake news. Time to start knowing the difference, don't you think?

Old 03-29-2017, 02:04 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,131,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Gimme a break.

How would you know how tough the coursework is? There are excellent small liberal arts colleges all over this country that produce highly successful people!
If my memory serves me right, I do recall that you were a graduate of AZU in a humanities-based degree program, yeah? The reference to the coursework was a bit of satire on the old conservative wailings against "worthless" humanities degrees being easy junk.

A bit of dry humor at how some conservatives denigrate humanities degrees until one of their own has one.

Quote:
What are you? Some guy that took rigorous coursework in Field Theory and now you're here to denigrate everyone that isn't brilliant like you?
Psh. Nah. Dual Bachelor's in CompSci and Business Admin into a Master's in Business Admin.

No joke, none of it was actually difficult in the slightest. Time-consuming, yeah. But definitely not difficult. Honestly wouldn't doubt that a Humanities degree would be harder. My coursework was just numbers, numbers, and more numbers.

Also...

*some girl

Quote:
Lol...the first part DEFINITELY isn't the case.
Which part? The part where he had a complete meltdown over a bade grade and wrote an essay of an email making legal threats? 'Cause that was true.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:08 PM

88,189 posts, read 84,046,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Jesus sounds like a pretty awful Jew to lie so much - Hell is not something any Jew would believe in. Did Jesus make it up? Or did his followers?
Or...people who came much later and needed a tool to manipulate people?

Old 03-29-2017, 02:16 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,918,878 times
Quote:
Torah has been here since long before the Bible.
The Torah was the building block for the Bible as we know it today. Nevertheless, the Scriptures have endured man's attempt to do away with them. You people will be just as much failures at getting rid of the Scriptures as Nero was 2000 yrs ago.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
So you admit he's a zombie. That's what happens when someone rises from the dead, they're a zombie now.
That's just stupid.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
they were basically debating about comic books.
We're not debating Darwin's theory of evelotion.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:20 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,496,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
That's just stupid.
I agree, it's stupid to believe someone rose from the dead. But hey, if that's what happens, then he's a zombie.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:22 PM

15,807 posts, read 21,325,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Or...people who came much later and needed a tool to manipulate people?

Shhh... I'm trying to be just as pedantic.

That said, it's really hard for me to take someone seriously who talks about the (small number of) Jews believing that Jesus is the Messiah while on the other hand wielding an incredibly un-Jewish conception of the afterlife in attempt to frighten the "unbelievers" into submission! It seems like a history lesson on the evolution of the concept of Hell across all religions, and how they borrowed and adapted from each other, is in order!

Old 03-29-2017, 02:29 PM

4,789 posts, read 2,773,937 times
Default I can't tell what's going on in this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
The college campus is no longer becoming a place for free debates.

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/31853/
This Marshall Polston? See https://www.linkedin.com/in/marshall-polston-99618063 If it's the same person - & it looks like him @ linkedin - he's @ least a semi-professional @ PR, media campaign, fieldwork, political, radio & fundraising & so on. & someone's been busy on Polston's behalf - see Campus Watch - notice the dates on the stories.

He may have a case for the stuff in class - I haven't seen any evidence either way yet. Thus far, it's he said & she said & the college said. Is there a case filed? Has the bench set a court date? It might bear watching, just to see how the court decides - if it gets that far.

Last edited by southwest88; 03-29-2017 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: add

Old 03-29-2017, 02:29 PM

88,189 posts, read 84,046,795 times
Quote:
Shhh... I'm trying to be just as pedantic.

That said, it's really hard for me to take someone seriously who talks about the (small number of) Jews believing that Jesus is the Messiah while on the other hand wielding an incredibly un-Jewish conception of the afterlife in attempt to frighten the "unbelievers" into submission! It seems like a history lesson on the evolution of the concept of Hell across all religions, and how they borrowed and adapted from each other, is in order!
Won't help. People WANT to believe that a fiery hell awaits...other people. Watch the Twilight Zone Episode called "Four O'Clock" someday. Those people always remind me of that show, and it cracks me up.

Basically this guy is telling everyone that he found a way to make it so that at 4 o'clock on a certain day, all the evil people will become 2 feet tall. He is anticipating this with glee, even telling his parrot, who keeps asking for and getting treats.

Four o'clock comes, and the parrot asks for a treat, and the man can't reach him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies