Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 01:54 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times

Advertisements

I'm a dual citizen but haven't had a 'residential' address in Canada for 20 years -- I can't get health treatment without a new health card, that I can't get without a permanent resident. I wonder if I could use my Mom's address -- that's a good question....hmmm

I think that is cheating the system.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 01:55 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I need to go back and reread these posts, because this is a false statement. I've traveled to countries with national health care and I still had to pay, since I was not a citizen. However, if you become a permanent resident, the waiting period for coverage is only a few months in some countries like Canada. LOL, we were posting at the same time.

So true. I met a woman who didn't buy a Medicare supplement when she turned 65, About 5 years later, she got cancer and was overwhelmed with medical bills She eventually had to go on Medicaid. She also got help from local charities, but we all end up paying one way or another.
Already been discussed back around post 45 onward.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:55 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
I can't argue with that at all. Many Americans like me that consider ourselves right of center, would love to cut out the insurance companies from the equation. I'd rather pay cash straight up. One of the problems with ObamaCare is that it requires Americans to purchase insurance from the insurance companies. Think about that for a minute. They are guaranteed our business so what incentive do they have to cut rates? We are mandated to purchase it regardless of the rates or face tax penalties. That is absolutely insane.
Yes, that's one of the big flaws in the ACA. The decision was made right in the beginning to base it on the existing health insurance scheme - subsidize lower-income people so they could buy insurance policies that they couldn't otherwise afford.

As I understand it, insurance companies selling ACA plans DO have some incentives/penalties for keeping the rates down. Whether they are adequate is another question.

Any proposal had to pass muster with congress. Raise your hand if you think there was ever a majority in congress that would have been willing to chop private insurance companies off at the knees. I have a spare bridge I need to get rid of and I'd like to know who I should be marketing it to...

Last edited by jacqueg; 03-28-2017 at 02:04 PM..

Old 03-28-2017, 01:56 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Canadians pay for their health care through insurance - i.e., their taxes are their premiums. Since Americans don't pay those taxes, they would have to pay out-of-pocket. If you're paying out-of-pocket to get cheaper care, why would go to a country where the out-of-pocket costs are about the same as they would be in America????

You have to go to a country where the out-of-pocket expenses are genuinely cheaper than what they'd be in the US, and that will usually mean a second-world country - like Mexico, for instance - where you can find hospitals and doctors who meet first-world standards but charge less.
To address the bolded part above - out-of-pocket health care expenses in America actually are quite a bit more than they are in Canada. Just to give you one example, last time I checked the rates it costs anywhere from $4k to $15K USD more to have a baby in America than what it costs in Canada.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:58 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I'm a dual citizen but haven't had a 'residential' address in Canada for 20 years -- I can't get health treatment without a new health card, that I can't get without a permanent resident. I wonder if I could use my Mom's address -- that's a good question....hmmm

I think that is cheating the system.......
In most cases now, the new health cards are incorporating a photo id and will have required replacing within the last couple of years so info used to acquire the card will be reasonably current, including address.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:00 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
I'm not smart or well-informed enough - nor, probably, are most people here - to compare all the various international systems, but I nevertheless DO know that we're lagging markedly behind other countries, and something has to happen.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:04 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
I totally agree -- the old American system would never work in Canada and the Canada system wouldn't work here.

BUT........both systems always need improvement.

And I would say -- given how things went with the repeal and replace process...while most Americans didn't think they wanted an Obamacare kind of health plan - it is becoming increasingly obvious that many do want the govt. to do something.

Look -- politicians are all about the vote....getting re-elected. Those town halls were vicious and no -- they weren't 'paid protesters'. They were folks that finally had some kind of health coverage and realized how much they missed it. There were all kinds of -- we'd be dead stories at those town halls (A little dramatic I think).

Canada does have private options. Those that can afford it can travel or they can pay for services in their community.

Most Canadians don't have crazy wait times for energency routines. I do have an 80 year old uncle who seemed to wait forever for a double knee replacement. But the reality -- at first he cancelled , and then they cancelled and then he cancelled. Each time there was a two month out waiting time -- Statistically it seems he had to wait in line but he didn't -- he was waiting for it to be convenient to him -- and it wasn't life threatening.

I just had a friend here say her wait time for a mammography was six months -- in the USA .....That's a long freak'n time.

I'm sure if there was a threat she would be 'squeezed' in (hahaha - crack myself up) but just for a routine - -she's waiting.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:06 PM

1,400 posts, read 863,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
To address the bolded part above - out-of-pocket health care expenses in America actually are quite a bit more than they are in Canada. Just to give you one example, last time I checked the rates it costs anywhere from $4k to $15K USD more to have a baby in America than what it costs in Canada.

You know what is absolutely crazy? From what I've been told from a person that has unique insight in to this topic, is that the actual cost of a birth to the hospital is about $1,000 to $1,500.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:09 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Already been discussed back around post 45 onward.
Thank you. Apparently there are many others who haven't read them either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I'm not smart or well-informed enough - nor, probably, are most people here - to compare all the various international systems, but I nevertheless DO know that we're lagging markedly behind other countries, and something has to happen.
Sounds smart to me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Was this year's ago. I have friends that live on Victoria Island and they have to be in Canada five or six months of the year to be able to claim healthcare services if needed.
Yes, I think I mentioned in an earlier comment that the people I know from Canada return after 6 months for this reason.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:10 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The mother was born and raised in St Catherine's, Ontario, and did not give up her Canadian citizenship when moving to the US, so her kids are dual citizens as well. And they make the drive to St Catherine's for doctor, dentist, optometrist etc
Was this year's ago. I have friends that live on Victoria Island and they have to be in Canada five or six months of the year to be able to claim healthcare services if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies