Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2017, 12:48 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,471,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Con me once shame on you. Con me twice shame on me. Most people develop a strong BS detector early in life, if they have any common sense at all. Mine went off the first time I saw Donald Trump up on a podium. Don't get me wrong, it goes off when ANY politician is pitching a line, but Trump had the needle pegged. It's really hard to understand how so many actually bought into it.
Maybe because the dog whistle was so loud that they chose to ignore the BS detector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 12:52 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Your son is only skilled enough to drive a garbage truck

Whose the real idiot?
the person who doesn't know how to spell the contraction of "who is"?

Old 03-29-2017, 12:58 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,701,211 times
[quote=2mares;47673772]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
You do realize Appalachia is a vast region consisting of 420 counties, 13 states and encompassing ~25 million people, right. So you think coal mining is the only industry, you think it is all rural, you think everyone is poor? In some regions the coal companies are starting to doing better since regulations have been lifted . Will it ever go back to its boom, no. Will everyone who lost a job in the coal industry be rehired, no. I'm not sure who this "they" is you speak of. Will decreasing the illegal alien population help citizens get jobs in construction and service positions, yes. Will it eventually see wages in those fields increase at least to what they were 8-10 years ago, yes.
Nothing is going to be suddenly.

Oh, please. The poor are not going to lose their medicaid.
Most had health care before Obama, they had medicaid before Obama.
Who the heck are the "they" you keep talking about.
I dont work in a coal mine. I had medical insurance before Obama and I still have the same health insurance.
Like cutting uninsured in half?

Amid predictions that bad health habits would be hard to break, scores of newly insured residents, mostly covered by Medicaid, have sought care in hospitals, mental health centers and drug treatment facilities. Providers have proved plentiful. Unreimbursed care costs are down. The county's under-65 uninsured rate is half what it was — dropping from 19 percent before the law to 10 percent at the end of last year.

Obamacare embraced by ex-foes in Appalachia

They did not all have it before and Trump's health care bill did not give it to them.

Don't forget that Trump's tax plan wants to create tariffs on imported products that will likely decimate retail jobs like Walmart. Doesn't matter, as long as these guys stop making excuses and pay for themselves. And no complaining when they lose their health coverage - they voted for that when they voted for Trump.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:04 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,513 times
Quote:
Now that Trump is going full anti-climate and says he will free coal, all the coal miners can stop whining, right? They will all have jobs, coal will be in full swing and they can stop with almost 10% of West Virginia on Disability and Medicare, right? Since they've been blaming Obama for their plight for the past eight years, now that they have their guy Trump, they have no one to blame? And since they CHOOSE to be coal miners, we can stop with the 10% in Disability going to West Virginia? If there's any positive out of all of this, not hearing the excuses might be it.
Sounds like this is a very personal issue with you- why?

Old 03-29-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Sounds like this is a very personal issue with you- why?
Because the top five states on permanent Disability and receiving Medicare coverage with that are in the South, specifically West Virginia (almost 10%), Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi and Kentucky. Because they have been complaining for years that Obama took their coal jobs away. Because Obama gave them health coverage and they never thanked him for it but loved it when Trump demonized Obama. Because now, Trump is taking away environmental protections so he can "bring coal back" so now they should stop complaining, get those awesome coal jobs and stop making excuses for dipping in our pockets. Enough is enough, Appalachia got their wish, time to go to work.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:11 PM

36,492 posts, read 30,820,705 times
[quote=Seacove;47674169]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

Like cutting uninsured in half?

Amid predictions that bad health habits would be hard to break, scores of newly insured residents, mostly covered by Medicaid, have sought care in hospitals, mental health centers and drug treatment facilities. Providers have proved plentiful. Unreimbursed care costs are down. The county's under-65 uninsured rate is half what it was — dropping from 19 percent before the law to 10 percent at the end of last year.

Obamacare embraced by ex-foes in Appalachia

They did not all have it before and Trump's health care bill did not give it to them.

Don't forget that Trump's tax plan wants to create tariffs on imported products that will likely decimate retail jobs like Walmart. Doesn't matter, as long as these guys stop making excuses and pay for themselves. And no complaining when they lose their health coverage - they voted for that when they voted for Trump.
First, there is no Trump health care plan.
I imagine those receiving free health care at the expense of those who are paying higher premiums and/or fines would embrace free health care. No surprise there.

Have you read the tax plan. I wasn't aware it was finished and out for public review.

It sounds alot like your mad and just want to see someone have a hard time so you feel better about yourself.

Still not sure who "they" are. Appalachia or Trump voters.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:20 PM

[quote=2mares;47674322]
Quote:
First, there is no Trump health care plan.
I imagine those receiving free health care at the expense of those who are paying higher premiums and/or fines would embrace free health care. No surprise there.

Have you read the tax plan. I wasn't aware it was finished and out for public review.

It sounds alot like your mad and just want to see someone have a hard time so you feel better about yourself.

Still not sure who "they" are. Appalachia or Trump voters.
Appalachia and Trump voters are the same. The AHCA did not cover Medicaid so where would they get their health coverage? That's going to be really funny to watch. The GOP wants to roll back Obamacare Medicaid coverage by 2020. I hope we just move to state based plans so blue states can deal with their own and watch Republicans tell these people that band-aids are what "bootstraps" are made of.

Then there's this:

Coal towns see hope for comeback as Trump ends 'war' | Fox News

Except when one reads the article, it says:

Indeed, while regulations have hurt the coal sector, experts say the industry's biggest hurdle is the abundance of cheap natural gas.

Gas prices have fallen, making it much more attractive than coal. Another problem is technology. As coal companies have gotten more efficient at extracting coal, fewer workers are needed. Coal’s presence in America’s power market has fallen to 32 percent from about 50 percent a decade ago.

So these people who never thanked Obama for health care elected Trump because Trump will bring back coal? Well, let's watch that happen. They have no more excuses.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:21 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,366,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
the person who doesn't know how to spell the contraction of "who is"?
Blame auto correct

Old 03-29-2017, 01:28 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,513 times
Quote:
Because the top five states on permanent Disability and receiving Medicare coverage with that are in the South, specifically West Virginia (almost 10%), Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi and Kentucky. Because they have been complaining for years that Obama took their coal jobs away. Because Obama gave them health coverage and they never thanked him for it but loved it when Trump demonized Obama. Because now, Trump is taking away environmental protections so he can "bring coal back" so now they should stop complaining, get those awesome coal jobs and stop making excuses for dipping in our pockets. Enough is enough, Appalachia got their wish, time to go to work.
Okay, I get it.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:35 PM

36,492 posts, read 30,820,705 times
[quote=Seacove;47674432]

Quote:
Appalachia and Trump voters are the same.
So the ~25 million people residing within the Appalachia region voted for Trump and they are all affected by the coal industry and they are all on medicaid and suffering from black lung?
Quote:
The AHCA did not cover Medicaid so where would they get their health coverage? That's going to be really funny to watch. The GOP wants to roll back Obamacare Medicaid coverage by 2020. I hope we just move to state based plans so blue states can deal with their own and watch Republicans tell these people that band-aids are what "bootstraps" are made of.
What people were concerned about is losing the automatic coverage for black lung. Obamacare put the burden of proof on the companies and not the claimants.

Quote:
Then there's this:

Coal towns see hope for comeback as Trump ends 'war' | Fox News

Except when one reads the article, it says:

Indeed, while regulations have hurt the coal sector, experts say the industry's biggest hurdle is the abundance of cheap natural gas.

Gas prices have fallen, making it much more attractive than coal. Another problem is technology. As coal companies have gotten more efficient at extracting coal, fewer workers are needed. Coal’s presence in America’s power market has fallen to 32 percent from about 50 percent a decade ago.
Lots of jobs have been lost in the coal industry in the last few years. Since the regulations are being lifted there has been a slight increase in jobs already. You can find articles to this effect. This is what Trump said he would do, lift regulations to help the coal industry.
Yes coal has lots of competition. I dont think anyone, except maybe you, thought Trump was going to defy the evolution of energy and guarantee everyone who held a position in the mining industry their job back.
Quote:
So these people who never thanked Obama for health care elected Trump because Trump will bring back coal? Well, let's watch that happen. They have no more excuses
Obama never gave me health care nor most of the people I know. Coal had nothing to do with the reasons I voted for Trump.
What excuses are you talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies