Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2017, 09:49 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post

I'm not sure Appalachian pro-Trumpers even cared much about immigration personally; I don't know that for sure, but I'd like to question that assumption.
I agree with everything else you said and of course I cant speak for Appalachia as a whole but yes many pro-Trumpers care very much about ILLEGAL immigration. Many states have been inundated with illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 10:00 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
.... Unemployment insurance ...

*No, the recent cutback from 99 to 26 weeks doesn't count, because 26 weeks is the traditional figure that workers paid up for; notice that in Republican states 26 weeks is still the standard and there seems to be very little appetite to change that.
Florida reduced unemployment insurance to 12 weeks with no extension.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:14 AM

19,626 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You realize those newly insured are receiving "free" medical at the expense of the taxpayer who is not receiving medical.

Appalachia is not whining, you are.
And you have no idea what the GOP's plan is for medicaid. Most of these people should never have joined ranks with others receiving "free" medical to begin with.
The people didn't do it, the government did. As I have explained several times, you get rejected for ACA plans and automatically transferred over to Medicaid if you are below a certain income, if your state has participated in expansion. It was designed for all states to participate but turns out they didn't have to.

Most people have their health insurance government subsidized in one way or another, it just isn't as obvious.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:55 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The people didn't do it, the government did. As I have explained several times, you get rejected for ACA plans and automatically transferred over to Medicaid if you are below a certain income, if your state has participated in expansion. It was designed for all states to participate but turns out they didn't have to.

Most people have their health insurance government subsidized in one way or another, it just isn't as obvious.
Perhaps I should have said many of these people should never have been able to join the ranks. I wasnt placing blame or suggesting they went out of their way to receive medicaid.

How are most peoples health insurance government subsidized.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:58 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
No More Excuses From Appalachia, Right?

Why?

WHY shouldn't the people of Appalachia and every other region enjoy the same privileges the buffoons in Washington enjoy?

Old 03-31-2017, 12:00 PM

8,887 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Boy, I sure hope you're right. It sure beats Hillary's plan to bring new jobs to the area.

Heck, she couldn't even do that when she was a US Senator.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:25 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Boy, I sure hope you're right. It sure beats Hillary's plan to bring new jobs to the area.

Heck, she couldn't even do that when she was a US Senator.
For the state of New York. Perhaps you need to speak to Capito and Manchin?

Old 03-31-2017, 12:30 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Now that Trump is going full anti-climate and says he will free coal, all the coal miners can stop whining, right? They will all have jobs, coal will be in full swing and they can stop with almost 10% of West Virginia on Disability and Medicare, right? Since they've been blaming Obama for their plight for the past eight years, now that they have their guy Trump, they have no one to blame? And since they CHOOSE to be coal miners, we can stop with the 10% in Disability going to West Virginia? If there's any positive out of all of this, not hearing the excuses might be it.
Yep, just as soon as Kodak opens it's plant to start making 35mm film again.

(Coal jobs were lost because there is better/cheaper/cleaner fuel available. The competition is better, coal lost. End of story. No Trump Lie is going to change that fact.)

Old 03-31-2017, 12:32 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

(Coal jobs were lost because there is better/cheaper/cleaner fuel available. The competition is better, coal lost. End of story. No Trump Lie is going to change that fact.)
Kodachrome please?

Old 03-31-2017, 12:33 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

Even when the coal industry was going strong, there was a lot of poverty in Appalachia so does it really matter if the coal industry returns or not.

Until people in the area get relocatable, marketable skills, they are always going to be poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies