Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 06:00 PM

25,601 posts, read 21,772,537 times

Advertisements

When things were good, that is how it worked. There was a tariff on incoming goods to level the playing field for our citizen businesses. It worked. There were jobs created, growth, etc. and with people employed, they had the money to support the local business, the local business made purchases........... It is so simple to understand that I am amazed at the ignorance of economics that most posting seem to have.

AmosWEB is Economics: Encyclonomic WEB*pedia

How do tariffs protect domestic industries? | Investopedia

So, what on earth are they teaching in high school now? How to be "pc" and ignore the facts?

The thing is, what Trump is proposing is what was working before it was screwed up, so we know it works. It was the move toward globalism that was destroying our country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 06:02 PM

21,988 posts, read 15,611,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
When things were good, that is how it worked. There was a tariff on incoming goods to level the playing field for our citizen businesses. It worked. There were jobs created, growth, etc. and with people employed, they had the money to support the local business, the local business made purchases........... It is so simple to understand that I am amazed at the ignorance of economics that most posting seem to have.

So, what on earth are they teaching in high school now? How to be "pc" and ignore the facts?
I deliberately quoted Wharton, the school Trump attended and Fox, which Republicans treat as gospel.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:04 PM

4,541 posts, read 2,753,037 times
Quote:

The thing is, what Trump is proposing is what was working before it was screwed up, so we know it works. It was the move toward globalism that was destroying our country.
https://piie.com/publications/policy...jobs-high-cost

Old 03-28-2017, 06:05 PM

25,601 posts, read 21,772,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I deliberately quoted Wharton, the school Trump attended and Fox, which Republicans treat as gospel.
So? I don't hold it "gospel". The tariffs worked before until the globalists wanted to break the US and what they were doing with trade was working, but now will be stopped dead in its tracks.

You gave me the impression that you didn't understand how an economy works. By leveling the playing field for our citizens, businesses will be able to reopen, less people underemployed and unemployed........It is just so simple for me, and I'm one of those "uneducated" Trump supporters, should be a breeze for a highly educated liberal to grasp.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:14 PM

21,988 posts, read 15,611,140 times
Quote:
So? I don't hold it "gospel". The tariffs worked before until the globalists wanted to break the US and what they were doing with trade was working, but now will be stopped dead in its tracks.

You gave me the impression that you didn't understand how an economy works. By leveling the playing field for our citizens, businesses will be able to reopen, less people underemployed and unemployed........It is just so simple for me, and I'm one of those "uneducated" Trump supporters, should be a breeze for a highly educated liberal to grasp.
Oh, by all means, let's implement a border tax, and even remove the minimum wage. I think Trump supporters will be hurt the most by this but since they voted for it, they should get it full force.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:23 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,155,282 times
There are and have been high tariffs on sneakers and they are still made in China. Doesn't work. Poor Trump. His policies are so going to fail..Sad!

"...Your sneakers are a case study in why Trump’s America-first trade policy is nonsense..."

"...But what many shoppers don’t know is that a large portion of the markup they’re paying is the result of steep import tariffs imposed by the US government.... duties the manufacturer had to pay when they landed in the US from an overseas factory.

A combination of protectionist policies and lobbying by US trade groups has kept these tariffs high since the Great Depression, despite import duties for other products being reduced. But those policies, designed to protect US manufacturing, have done little to keep shoe manufacturing stateside. Americans are almost entirely shod in shoes made overseas, mostly in China.

The shoe industry offers an object lesson on the kind of protectionist policies that president-elect Donald Trump has proposed...But the sneaker industry, including brands such as Nike, is a perfect example of what happens when these policies fail..."

https://qz.com/859628/your-nike-snea...y-is-nonsense/

Old 03-28-2017, 06:30 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,443,467 times
Quote:

Milton Friedman, the libert@rdian diety, was a champion of free trade lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies