Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 09:53 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,105,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
My Dad is a 65 year old stoner. He has smoked pot since he was 15. Sorry it is addictive. He's burned a lot of brain cells and tons of cash over the years on his "habit." Honestly, I think he has sustained long term brain damage from 50 years of heavy use. He is emotionally stunted and has zero motivation. There are long term effects. It will remain to be seen if he ends up with cancer.

I do not support legalization. There is a social cost in terms of child neglect that is often overlooked.

The Fed's will not decriminalize anytime soon.
Honestly, that sounds more like his individual addiction issue rather than proof of there being any physically addictive properties of cannabis.

Many people waste their lives by getting addicted to TV, shopping, or video games. It doesn't mean those things are physically more addictive than any other enjoyable thing, just that some people have addictive personalities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 09:53 PM

31,934 posts, read 14,933,222 times
Quote:
My Dad is a 65 year old stoner. He has smoked pot since he was 15. Sorry it is addictive. He's burned a lot of brain cells and tons of cash over the years on his "habit." Honestly, I think he has sustained long term brain damage from 50 years of heavy use. He is emotionally stunted and has zero motivation. There are long term effects. It will remain to be seen if he ends up with cancer.

I do not support legalization. There is a social cost in terms of child neglect that is often overlooked.

Most I know have smoked pot since high school. And they are professionals who make 3 figures and more. They use it as a way to relax. It's no big deal. They don't sit around all day smoking. They get up and go to work. Do you think your dad might suffer from depression. It kind of sounds like it to me. Sorry, I don't mean to interfere. I've just had experience dealing with it in my family.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:00 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,250,936 times
Canada has announced that it will be legal within the year. Then European nations. And once again the US will continue its slide towards backward authoritarian anti-freedom countries like Russia and China.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:00 PM

11,180 posts, read 10,952,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
What I'm saying is that pot is already either legal or easily available in most areas. You have nothing to complain about except not being able to smoke it in public.
For people who work jobs that drug test it is not about it being "already legal" or "easily available". It's about it being none of the company's (or governments) business what legal substance an employee puts into their body far and away from the company clock in the privacy of their own home.

There is no need to keep it a Schedule I drug (it has medicinal benefits, that has been proven). What an employee does (of a legal nature) on their own time is none of anyone else's business. What if the three glasses of wine you enjoyed at a restaurant two weeks ago got you fired on a random drug test today?

For the people in states that have legalized recreational marijuana (and in many cases medicinal marijuana) it means nothing if they are under constant fear of losing their jobs based on a failed test. Not everyone who smokes pot is a daily user, just like not every person who drinks alcohol is one. If you are in a safety sensitive position in your work, it stands to reason why there are drug tests. Problem is pot stays in urine long after the THC effect is no longer active. Weeks after in some cases.

We have way better things to spend money on than the war on pot. I'm a fiscal conservative and social moderate who voted for Trump, and there are many others like me with the same opinion. It would be wise for Trump to consider reducing the scheduled status of marijuana. He stands a lot to gain.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:15 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,257,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
The Bible cautions against excess.
Like this?
Quote:
...I think he has sustained long term brain damage from 50 years of heavy use.
I mean, wow. I'm sorry you've had to live with that. It sounds like a heavy burden for you and your kin. But 50 years of heavy use is not exactly responsible moderation and not exactly normal. That's in fact several standard deviations to the right of the usage scale. I will always advocate education and moderation (just earlier in the thread I was babbling about usage patterns).

But you're giving us one personal anecdote. You can't exactly use that to assert that's how every user (or even more than 1 in 20) will go, can you? And more to the point, other than your emotional pain, has your father actually HURT anybody by his actions? Keeping it illegal hasn't seemed to prevent him from using it, has it (how could it being legal have affected anything for him?)? But it does lock some people up and ruin some lives through overbearing law enforcement.

Here's what keeps me from doing it very often: in my opinion THC is a gateway to a shifted perspective. I enjoy shifted perspectives, while they last. They're a joy, whether coming from within or from the use of exogenous molecules. But they're a joy because they're rare, and unusual, and novel, and because they ARE a change, they ARE different. If you use cannabis too often, you literally KILL the magic. For instance, I'm very mildly synaesthetic in that I tend to "see" music as a form of visual structure. But cannabis kicks this sensation up several notches. There's just nothing better than settling down with my audiophile system, right in the stereo sweet-spot, under the influence of good cannabis, in the dark with my eyes closed, and just letting good complex music carry me to another realm of existence and color and dimension. If I did cannabis too often it would be like a grey cloud coming to rot and ruin that wonderland. No thanks.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:10 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,188,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
The Bible cautions against excess. Drunkenness, gluttony, etc. It doesn't forbid alcohol and rich foods outright. I don't think they had weed in Judea or Egypt. Definitely the Romans didn't have any. No stoner would have the ambition or frame of mind to feed anybody to a lion.
Yet the same book is full of excess, drunkenness and many things that Christians are against, but that's just one example of the hypocrisy of the book, but that's for another thread.

Cannabis is an old hebrew word.

Holy Cannabis: The Bible Tells Us So | The Huffington Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0bH6Z_OSp8

Cannabis has been found in tombs that predate Christianity.

Trove Of Cannabis Plants Found In Ancient Tomb In China : The Two-Way : NPR

While I'm sure you will simply shrug off these, it's worth noting that humans have grown alongside of cannabis for at least 10,000 years.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:50 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,250,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
It's about it being none of the company's (or governments) business what legal substance an employee puts into their body far and away from the company clock in the privacy of their own home.
You are confusing conservative Republicans for people who give one single damn about privacy, freedoms, or personal responsibility.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:11 PM

1,201 posts, read 613,633 times
You can certainly do studies on schedule 1 drugs. You need special approval from the DEA. If approved, they actually provide the drug.

There are approved THC based drugs. FDA will never approve regular marijuana as a drug. FDA requires dosing standardization for all drugs. The only reason alcohol and tobacco aren't controlled is because they are specifically removed from DEA and FDA regulations. Nicotine replacement products are regulated as drugs.

All approved drugs require a double blind, randomized, placebo based study.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:23 PM

68,297 posts, read 54,176,344 times
Quote:

It's a shame about your Dad but he's FAR from the normal recreational cannabis user, just as someone who has a few cocktails or a few glasses of wine with dinner is far from a die-hard quart of vodka a day alcoholic.

Quote:

There's a far greater social cost created by alcoholics and prescription drug abusers and far greater health costs created by tobacco users. Legalization has nothing to do with actual use of any of those and what problems they do/don't create. You can bet dollars to donuts cannabis will be legalized just as soon as its lobby is as strong($$$0 as those of the tobacco, alcohol, and BigPharma lobbies.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:24 PM

6,599 posts, read 4,981,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
at this pint i dont care anymore if marijuana is made legal or not, the hypocrisy surrounding it is at a fever pitch. we are at this point trying stop people from smoking tobacco, a legal product by the way, but all the pot smokers want to do is exchange one addiction for another, IE smoking pot.

i can hear the pro pot people now, but pot isnt harmful, bull crap. anytime you breath in smoke of any kind its harmful to the lungs, and your body tells you every time early on, until you get used to it.

i just wonder how long after pot is made legal that a movement to end the smoking of pot will start.
There are many of other ways to consume THC. While Pot is available everywhere, edibles, thc oil etc is not easy to come by so if anything legalizing weed will decrease the actual smoking of the plant.
Plenty of people consume thc responsibly, is not like cigarettes you cant smoke all day most people just want to be able to toke after a long day in the privacy of their homes, like coming home to a glass of wine, why do people care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies