Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2017, 12:32 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
So if the robbers took Uber to the crime and the criminals told the driver to "stay here, we will be right back", the driver should also be charged? What if the criminals jumped on a city bus after the robbery? Should all the passengers be charged as accessories?
You're kidding right?

You don't understand the difference between someone who is in on the crime and is driving you to commit the crime, where they will benefit if the crime goes as planned vs. getting a ride by someone whose job it is to provide transportation and they don't know what you're about to do?

Again, you're kidding right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 12:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We make these kinds of statements but she is going to spend her best years behind bars.
Yeah, but I don't agree with that.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:36 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The subject of that post is the getaway driver who can be charged with murder in the first degree in OK, where the crime occurred.
It seems excessive to me to charge her with murder, but that is the new way of America, if you are upcoming politician or police chief or prosecutor looking to make a name for yourself to look tough on crime then support this and the zero tolerance laws that often makes one fits all sentencing.

I personally do not agree with that or those.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:39 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
It seems excessive to me to charge her with murder, but that is the new way of America, if you are upcoming politician or police chief or prosecutor looking to make a name for yourself to look tough on crime then support this and the zero tolerance laws that often makes one fits all sentencing.

These kinds of laws have been on the book for a good number of years. I'm not going to bother to research it but it seems to me I first became aware of them in the 1980's perhaps?

Old 03-30-2017, 12:42 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post

What you should be more concerned with is the fact that these laws are on the books, yet still aren't enough of a deterrent. Criminals will be criminals no matter what the risk, if they take the risk I'm all for throwing the book at them.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:44 PM

Human trafficking is a much more serious crime then picking up or engaging with a prostitute but some law agencies are starting to blur the lines in naming it. Some police agencies run a local prostitution sting and call it a sting on human trafficking. Sheriff of Lakeland Fl is notorious for that.

So should some guy who makes a date with a prostitute , now be charged as a felon for engaging in human trafficking?

Inflating charges to me, is a tactic that is just ripe for abuse by the criminal system.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
What you should be more concerned with is the fact that these laws are on the books, yet still aren't enough of a deterrent. Criminals will be criminals no matter what the risk, if they take the risk I'm all for throwing the book at them.
I agree but the case should be judge by each individual case. There was no premeditated intent for death in seems, she should not be charged with murder.

And the zero tolerance mandatory sentencing laws are wrong also, it was a idea cooked up by politicians and law makers looking to get elected by looking tough on crime.

For instance if a woman shoots a gun in the air or ground as a warning shot (happened not too long ago in Fl), yes it was wrong and yes she should be punished but to automatically sentence her to 20 years because a zero tolerance law on any crime done with a gun automatically gets you 20 years? It's just wrong.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:58 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
3 clearly outmatched criminals (16-18 yrs old) are deceased after a failed home invasion, their getaway driver is charged with their murders.

Getaway driver arrested after 3 suspects are shot to death in Wagoner Co. home invasion | KOKH
Outmatched? Certainly. Also outsmarted. Don't go to a gunfight with a knife.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:23 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Am I the only one that thinks its dumb to charge her with that? There are tons of things you can charge her with but we are diluting the meaning of 1st degree murder. Why not just call everything 1st degree murder.
That is commonly charged in most states. the idea is to discourage aiding and abetting murder, robbery and other undesirable behaviors.

Long history of accomplices being charged, as seen on TV and real life.

Too bad some local cultures live and die by gang law and are unfamiliar with legislated law.

'can't do the time, don't do the crime', even broadcast on tv in case some thug is conscious and watching 'bad boys....' which always ends the same.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:44 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
That is commonly charged in most states. the idea is to discourage aiding and abetting murder, robbery and other undesirable behaviors.

Long history of accomplices being charged, as seen on TV and real life.

Too bad some local cultures live and die by gang law and are unfamiliar with legislated law.

'can't do the time, don't do the crime', even broadcast on tv in case some thug is conscious and watching 'bad boys....' which always ends the same.
Also, "let the punishment fit the crime". Her crime was driving the getaway car in a failed robbery attempt. Not first degree murder. Proper punishment? Maybe 2-5 years depending on her record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies